Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 08:36 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccdscott View Post
Now, living down here, hardly anybody refers to the city like that. LOL
Right. So then what's the problem with the transit system being called ATL?

The city is named Atlanta, and that's what we call it. So I don't see the issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 10:00 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,562,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Right. So then what's the problem with the transit system being called ATL?

The city is named Atlanta, and that's what we call it. So I don't see the issue.
You really see no problem with this? Linking is something that is happening with the agencies. What's the end result of the linkage? That's what we need to key in on. Take this site for example, it's "City-Data.com" not "Ask about moving-stats-schools-sports-etc.com." My other problem with it is that they need to have it known that it's a "metro Atlanta" or "greater Atlanta" system. We had MARTA but it only served Atlanta but now it's greater Atlanta but only mention Atlanta. Many good fresh acronyms could have been made that the whole metro would have loved.

Old 03-31-2018, 10:16 PM

2,323 posts, read 1,562,275 times
Transit Authority of North Georgia (TANG)
Northern Georgia Transit Authority (NGTA)
Greater Atlanta Transit (GAT)
MALT or MALTA (either or would have been nice)

But nah, they come up with redundant @ss ATL. If Peachtree doesn't confuse out of towners, let's reference ATL with ______.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:02 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
It appears you're missing that the regional transit system is going to be called ATL. Atlanta-region Transit Link. Atlanta Transit Link I guess for a shorter title.

The final bill from GA congress creating ATL will be out next week, and that's what it's going to be called, likely for the rest of your life. So I'm not trying to discourage your creative ideas, but I feel like it's a little distracting or confusing with copy pasting all that "mat" stuff. I just mean for people who might be coming into this thread for the first time, not knowing what's actually going on meanwhile in the actual reality.

I will grant you that that general kind of naming convention is probably how they will brand the different services of ATL transit. Like, rapid bus will probably be called 'ATL Rapid'. With like a 'Rapid Line A', Rapid Line B', etc. And probably the streetcar system will be renamed from Atlanta Streetcar to ATL Streetcar. Etc.

Now as for the possibility of the heavy rail lines/trains switching from third rail to overhead power and therefore allowing grade crossings and cheaper construction on line extensions and new lines, I think it's an interesting and intriguing idea. Doing that could open up some real possibilities, and could reduce transfers.

It would still be classified heavy rail I think, but it could act like commuter rail or light rail, and be as cheap to build as those.

It wouldn't be technically considered commuter rail, because it would not be FRA-compliant. MARTA cars are not FRA-compliant, regardless of power source. So it could never use railroad tracks or share with freight.

And it wouldn't have the seat capacity or comfort of commuter rail. It would still be metro-style transit.

It also wouldn't technically be light rail, because light rail really involves a lighter vehicle. But it would be basically like light rail.

I mean, I think they should really look into it. Particularly OTP suburbs, who want compatibility with the existing MARTA rail system, and not forcing transfers, but while also keeping cost lower.

It does take a minute for the train to switch modes, but in theory that could be done while it's stopped at a station, like while stopped at Doraville, while passengers board.

That's why I gave the example of Gwinnett possibly doing a 'light rail' out to Sugarloaf (as they've studied and done those design plans for), that would be the Gold line all the way to the airport, without a transfer.

Clayton should do it that way for their line. The line would run from Five Points or maybe even north of there, all the way to Jonesboro. With the new section running on overhead power, adjacent to the railroad, but not sharing tracks with it. Sort of like a CRT/HRT/LRT hybrid type thing. With cheap, minimalist stations, and all that savings.

Cobb could maybe do it, for a new line, that would potentially also be the Clifton corridor line.

Lot of different possibilities.

And I know for a fact that MARTA has mentioned it at least once or twice before, and I believe the dual-power capability is part of their RFQ for their new fleet of rail cars. (Could be mistaken on that.)

People won't be confused. If they are, then they need to take an extension course to improve their critical reading and research skills.

Like I've said before, the "ATL" for transit is not horrific, it is just not good. At all. It is actually fairly dumb/low-level thinking. To me, it goes under the same category as "Whatizit/Izzy," "Every day is an opening day," and "SoNo." It's almost as if Atlanta caint help itself in this regard.

And when Atlanta does name something right, it seems like it just caint last. For example, Luckie Marietta was a brillian name for the western Downtown district, but it just couldn't last. Now, it is just the "Centennial Olympic Park Area."

So, the "ATL" should be mat.

mat
metro atlanta transit

matbus
matrail {Heavy Rail/Light Metro System...7 lines}
mattrain {Commuter Rail...11 lines}
mattrolley or mattram
matX {Express Commuter Bus}
matshuttle {Shuttle Bus}
matmover {People Mover}
matgondola {Sky Gondola}
matride {Public Taxi Ride}
matdecker {Double-Decker, tourist-like dedicated routes}

Old 03-31-2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
The name is terrible. I'm sorry ya'll. ATL? We gotta do better.
Yes, the "ATL" is not a smart name for this.

It should be mat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s_kid View Post
For the city but not so much a transit system. Atlanta Transit Link, I get it but Metro Atlanta Linked Transit or Metro Atlanta Transit Authority or anything else would have just been better. ATL is tied to the city but it's just redundant to name that the transit system.

I agree. ATL is not smart for a transit system in Atlanta.

It should be mat.

mat
metro atlanta transit

matbus
mattrolley or mattram
matshuttle {Shuttle Bus}
matmover {People Mover}
matgondola {Sky Gondola}

Last edited by aries4118; 03-31-2018 at 11:30 PM..

Old 03-31-2018, 11:11 PM

Quote:
...But the whole ATL nickname has been overdone...

Amen. It's pretty un-original and non-creative.

To me, the "ATL" for transit, even "ATL Transit", goes into the same category as "Whatizit/Izzy", "Everyday is an opening day", and "SoNo."

Whatizit/Izzy
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Izzy_(mascot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRecD0IcFKI

Last edited by aries4118; 03-31-2018 at 11:32 PM..

Old 03-31-2018, 11:12 PM

Quote:
You really see no problem with this? Linking is something that is happening with the agencies. What's the end result of the linkage? That's what we need to key in on. Take this site for example, it's "City-Data.com" not "Ask about moving-stats-schools-sports-etc.com." My other problem with it is that they need to have it known that it's a "metro Atlanta" or "greater Atlanta" system. We had MARTA but it only served Atlanta but now it's greater Atlanta but only mention Atlanta. Many good fresh acronyms could have been made that the whole metro would have loved.
Quote:

But nah, they come up with redundant @ss ATL. If Peachtree doesn't confuse out of towners, let's reference ATL with ______.

Amen.

How about mat?

mat
metro atlanta transit

matbus
mattrolley or mattram
matshuttle {Shuttle Bus}
matmover {People Mover}
matgondola {Sky Gondola}

Last edited by aries4118; 03-31-2018 at 11:31 PM..

Old 03-31-2018, 11:18 PM

Quote:

If not mat, I like gat.

Old 03-31-2018, 11:31 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,265,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
How about mat?
How about no.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:57 AM

11,810 posts, read 8,018,631 times
I personally wouldn't mind if the MARTA corporate name could just be carried over to the new organization handling transit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta