Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 09:22 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,866,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
This week, Wingate Companies and Columbia Residential unveiled the first building in a multi-phase revitalization of largely abandoned lots around Boulevard and Angier Avenue — the eastern extension of downtown’s Pine Street.

The first phase, City Lights, features 80 one-bedroom apartments for seniors. But far from the dated garden-style walk-ups that dominate the area, the new building offers plenty of amenities such as a sundeck, state-of-the-art fitness center, a community kitchen, plenty of programming to keep residents active, and WiFi.
With City Lights complete, work will soon begin on a 96-unit apartment building across the street, officials said this week.

The five-story Station 464 apartments will replace four aging apartment buildings between Boulevard and Latta Street.

Look for construction to launch on that project in 2017.

http://atlanta.curbed.com/2016/12/16...ts-city-lights
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2016, 09:35 AM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Boring design, but I'm glad to see someone addressing the need for senior housing.

Old 12-16-2016, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Boring design, but I'm glad to see someone addressing the need for senior housing.
If the aim is affordable housing, the extra trimmings, accents, etc, just adds to the costs. Not saying affordable housing needs to be minimalist design, but it does not need spires and extras that will just raise the costs.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:41 AM

31 posts, read 28,913 times
Forget about the design for a minute. I think this type of development is needed for the area. Its a start in the right direction.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:32 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Well there goes any hope of gentrification for Boulevard, which desperately needs it. Affordable housing is one thing, but Section 8 is an entirely different group of people and no amount of fresh paint or redesigned buildings will change the fact that just like every other section 8 housing development in Atlanta, this will be a hotbed of crime.

Old 12-16-2016, 11:58 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,121,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Well there goes any hope of gentrification for Boulevard, which desperately needs it. Affordable housing is one thing, but Section 8 is an entirely different group of people and no amount of fresh paint or redesigned buildings will change the fact that just like every other section 8 housing development in Atlanta, this will be a hotbed of crime.
There's not much that can be done short of HUD canning the Section 8 program, since Wingate makes a killing sucking off the federal teat.

Old 12-16-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Yes, I can see it now; marauding bands of geriatrics on Boulevard, giving out beatdowns with their canes and walkers.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:03 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,111 times
Quote:
Yes, I can see it now; marauding bands of geriatrics on Boulevard, giving out beatdowns with their canes and walkers.
You should read the article before you comment. Only one apartment building is for seniors. That one is complete. I have no qualms with affordable housing for seniors.

The same developer is also building a huge apartment complex of affordable housing for all ages on Boulevard to start next year. if it's affordable as in income sliding scale, fine. Some of that is good. If it's section 8 housing then kiss gentrification of that area goodbye because nearly every section 8 large scale projects in the city is a crime hotspot.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
You should read the article before you comment. Only one apartment building is for seniors. That one is complete. I have no qualms with affordable housing for seniors.

The same developer is also building a huge apartment complex of affordable housing for all ages on Boulevard to start next year. if it's affordable as in income sliding scale, fine. Some of that is good. If it's section 8 housing then kiss gentrification of that area goodbye because nearly every section 8 large scale projects in the city is a crime hotspot.
I really hope that they keep teardown to a minimum on Boulevard. A lot of those small scale apartment buildings have good bones and were probably built to replace the carnage left by the 1917 fire:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...a_fire_of_1917

I wouldn't mind a lane reduction on Boulevard, either, with a little more pedestrian-friendliness.

Old 12-17-2016, 06:50 PM

Quote:
I really hope that they keep teardown to a minimum on Boulevard. A lot of those small scale apartment buildings have good bones and were probably built to replace the carnage left by the 1917 fire:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_...a_fire_of_1917

I wouldn't mind a lane reduction on Boulevard, either, with a little more pedestrian-friendliness.
Bus-only lanes on boulevard wouldn't be a bad idea, as it provides a N-S route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta