Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 10:38 AM

6,479 posts, read 7,168,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
But some key decisions may already be underway to pre-empt that future. The Legislature is poised to make a key decision on the Western and Atlantic rail line that runs from Atlanta to Chattanooga. From today’s Marietta Daily Journal:

On Friday, the Georgia Senate passed SR 228. Buried in that resolution was a clause that would allow Georgia to enter a lease with CSX for the next 50 years in return for the rail company paying the state about $12 million a year.

There’s just one caveat.

CSX would have exclusive use of the railroad, ending any possibility for those tracks to be shared with a passenger rail line.
Your Daily Jolt: Bill would close off passenger rail service to Cobb | Political Insider blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 10:40 AM

6,503 posts, read 6,122,823 times
Should read "Bill would close off passenger rail service to Cobb on already heavily-used CSX trackage"

Old 03-07-2017, 12:28 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
Should read "Bill would close off passenger rail service to Cobb on already heavily-used CSX trackage"
*on state-owned track that CSX makes heavy use of.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:33 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,240,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
*on state-owned track that CSX makes heavy use of.
hmmmm, good point

Ok, let's see if this new transit effort on the state level is serious. Seems like the perfect time to show a little foresight and pressure the right people to make sure this exclusivity clause is out of any deal.

Old 03-07-2017, 05:59 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
While I do not think that future passenger rail service should operate on the existing freight rail tracks (which, as other posters have pointed out, are already extremely heavily used by freight trains), I do think that future passenger trains should operate on their own new passenger rail-dedicated tracks along the state-owned CSX/Western & Atlantic right-of-way.

Old 03-07-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
While I do not think that future passenger rail service should operate on the existing freight rail tracks (which, as other posters have pointed out, are already extremely heavily used by freight trains), I do think that future passenger trains should operate on their own new passenger rail-dedicated tracks along the state-owned CSX/Western & Atlantic right-of-way.
While it is preferred that we build separate, dedicated track for commuter rail, the likely first iterations of commuter rail will make use of existing tracks. Especially for the more far-flung parts of the metro beyond Cobb's northern boarder.

I could certainly see some politician in the state saying that commuter rail is impossible in Cherokee or where ever because of this deal.

Old 03-08-2017, 07:56 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
So is this good or bad for Cobb and metro Atlanta?

Old 03-08-2017, 08:22 AM

2,024 posts, read 1,315,375 times
I can see why CSX would want a guarantee that if they enter a long term lease with the state, the state could not turn around and put passenger trains on that same track. I suspect that's what that clause is about.

I'm also glad that another obstacle to the passenger train to Chattanooga has been placed.

I know this isn't a new discussion on City-data, but I think the only possible passenger train that might possibly have a chance of benefiting Ga and Atlanta would be high-speed through Charlotte to Washington DC.
I've ridden the existing train to DC/NYC many times, and upgrading the train would benefit me greatly, but I don't see it helping the state in general, for the cost.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:44 AM

654 posts, read 527,515 times
The thing is, replacing even a small amount of freight with commuter rail would be a negative for the metro. People forget about the huge number of semis that crowd the cobb cloverleaf and i-75 already. Adding commuter rail, and potentially displacing some freight to the interstates, is a huge risk that is likely to never happen.

The best thing for cobb, and the metro as a whole, is to keep as much port traffic off the roads as possible. I mean the best thing other than the northern arc, but that ship has sail...into a reef...a reef filled with sharks....and patrolled by pirates...and surrounded by islands filled with cannibals. But hey, nimby works.

Old 03-08-2017, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsa View Post
I can see why CSX would want a guarantee that if they enter a long term lease with the state, the state could not turn around and put passenger trains on that same track. I suspect that's what that clause is about.

I'm also glad that another obstacle to the passenger train to Chattanooga has been placed.

I know this isn't a new discussion on City-data, but I think the only possible passenger train that might possibly have a chance of benefiting Ga and Atlanta would be high-speed through Charlotte to Washington DC.
I've ridden the existing train to DC/NYC many times, and upgrading the train would benefit me greatly, but I don't see it helping the state in general, for the cost.
While I don't think that ATL -> CHAT should be prioritized, I don't think we should be throwing up unnecessary roadblocks for ourselves regardless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
The thing is, replacing even a small amount of freight with commuter rail would be a negative for the metro. People forget about the huge number of semis that crowd the cobb cloverleaf and i-75 already. Adding commuter rail, and potentially displacing some freight to the interstates, is a huge risk that is likely to never happen.

The best thing for cobb, and the metro as a whole, is to keep as much port traffic off the roads as possible. I mean the best thing other than the northern arc, but that ship has sail...into a reef...a reef filled with sharks....and patrolled by pirates...and surrounded by islands filled with cannibals. But hey, nimby works.
We need to provide alternatives, period, to the roads. We need BOTH freight and passenger rail, which can carry many time as many people & freight as their highway counterparts for a given amount of energy. I certainly see no reason to limit ourselves as harshly as this would.

To quote someone else from the subreddit:
Quote:
It's certainly a busy line, but I don't know if it's at capacity. I read recently that CSX has scheduled most of the trains on the W&A to run at night which would indicate that they're not running 24/7. Georgia has negotiated passenger service on railroads they lease to CSX as recently as the late 80's/early 90's when the state ran the New Georgia Railroad which was a tourist train from Atlanta to Stone Mountain.
Honestly, I don't mind the existing rails being used exclusively for freight if:
  1. CSX helps pay for parallel tracks for Commuter / Intercity Rail

or

2. CSX completly buys the route, with the money from the sale going to building Commuer / Intercity Rail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta