Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 12:28 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
You are deliberately dodging my core question. How is someone who cannot afford to purchase or maintain a motor vehicle going to get around in the suburbs? You think Gwinnett Transit or CobbLinc will suffice??
Actually, the core question is if they can't afford it then why are they choosing to move to the suburbs? Tell me. That is what is happening so for that many people to be making that choice they seem to be able to afford it. For one the cost of living there is much less than in the city. Even for a 'poor' person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry X View Post
Ill tell you why, white privilege, white people like to bully and control with their money rather intentionally or not, income/class is the new redlining. But you say class has to do with money not race, that's no true both are intertwined because alot more white people have a lot more money than black people due to black people being historically neglected from Government benefits and fair paying jobs.
If you want to limit the amount of black people that live in an area just raise the value to where most can't afford, most white people don't mind a few black people in their neighborhood.
This is why there is a need for affordable housing in gentrified or gentrifing areas, too keep high income white people from completely taking over the inner cities. Think about that, so many white people have so much more money compared to black people that they need to put policies in place to keep white people from completely taking over.
Larry, why was it ok for Blacks in the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, and even now to be the majority in the city but now that Whites are moving back it is not ok for them to do such? Isn't that a bit of a double standard?

Old 03-22-2017, 12:57 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,360,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Actually, the core question is if they can't afford it then why are they choosing to move to the suburbs? Tell me.
That wasn't the question at all. How on earth did you change the question? The original question was "how are those forced out of their neighborhoods to the suburbs going to make do", and somehow, you've changed that to "why are they choosing to move to the suburbs?".

Even if living in the suburbs is cheaper, that very well might not make up for the transportation costs. Haven't you listened to the fabric? It costs almost a billion dollars per year to own a car! But no, really. If someone cannot afford a car, car insurance, and gas to drive 50 miles every day, you can't exactly chide them for going further downhill when they are forced out of an area with public transportation into a barren suburb.

Old 03-22-2017, 12:59 PM

821 posts, read 726,614 times
Quote:
Larry, why was it ok for Blacks in the 1970's, 1980's, 1990's, and even now to be the majority in the city but now that Whites are moving back it is not ok for them to do such? Isn't that a bit of a double standard?
And this is why I hate affordable housing.

Old 03-22-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
That wasn't the question at all. How on earth did you change the question? The original question was "how are those forced out of their neighborhoods to the suburbs going to make do", and somehow, you've changed that to "why are they choosing to move to the suburbs?".

Even if living in the suburbs is cheaper, that very well might not make up for the transportation costs. Haven't you listened to the fabric? It costs almost a billion dollars per year to own a car! But no, really. If someone cannot afford a car, car insurance, and gas to drive 50 miles every day, you can't exactly chide them for going further downhill when they are forced out of an area with public transportation into a barren suburb.
I didn't change the question I ANSWERED his question. The facts are people are leaving the in town neighborhoods for the suburbs. It isn't up for debate. So somehow some way people are making it work. Those 'forced' out who are renting are making do because the cost of living is lower. Those that are being 'forced' out who own are selling and obviously their money goes further in select suburbs than in the city. It is also very likely these places they are renting or buying have better schools and lower crime. Public transportation isn't just used by the 'poor'. Obviously those that rent be it poor or middle class are at a disadvantage than someone who owns and can (hopefully) make money on their home.

So the question of "how are those forced out of their neighborhoods to the suburbs going to make do" is being answered by the thousands of people who have left in town Atlanta for places like Gwinnett, Rockdale, Clayton, DeKalb, and even Henry counties. They are the proof that it can and does work. He shouldn't need me to answer that. There is proof. It is indeed working.

Old 03-22-2017, 02:59 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
Clayton County Schools ARE NOT failing. When the governor released his "school take-over" list late last summer, how many Clayton County Schools were on it for being "low performing"? NONE; the same as adjacent Henry and Fayette Counties. Dekalb was actually the BIG loser with the lion's share followed by Atlanta Public Schools. Stop spreading the false narrative of "failing" Clayton County Schools that I and many of my neighbors feel are lying code words for being snobby about our school's ethnic demographics. Take US out of this discussion,

Old 03-22-2017, 06:50 PM

290 posts, read 313,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
Clayton County Schools ARE NOT failing. When the governor released his "school take-over" list late last summer, how many Clayton County Schools were on it for being "low performing"? NONE; the same as adjacent Henry and Fayette Counties. Dekalb was actually the BIG loser with the lion's share followed by Atlanta Public Schools. Stop spreading the false narrative of "failing" Clayton County Schools that I and many of my neighbors feel are lying code words for being snobby about our school's ethnic demographics. Take US out of this discussion,
No matter how many times you correct them the next day they come right back and start spewing the same negative stereotypes which they really no nothing about. You may as well save your breath, they do this because they are really unhappy about their "real life" ( I guarantee you will never get to meet them and they will never take you up on your invitation to visit your church) and make themselves feel better about their fake anonymous lives by talking like they are better than others. But whats sad about all this is some of these people are old and still act like children. If you say lets meet or start a facebook group they would run so fast because they don't want you to know who they really are.I tell you keyboard experts are so brave.

Last edited by ekman243; 03-22-2017 at 07:00 PM..

Old 03-22-2017, 08:52 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
umm no.... it wasn't gentrification that out priced whites out those neighborhoods, and up class blacks didn't move afterwards, this whole response is like a paradox.

It seem your completely missing the point, and again this highlight your real motive to defending gentrification.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:55 PM

4,843 posts, read 6,105,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlHawks View Post
And this is why I hate affordable housing.
Yes because non affordable housing is the greatest smh,

I think your maybe trying to troll and meant you hate cheaper housing.

Old 03-22-2017, 08:55 PM

787 posts, read 969,268 times
Quote:
Blacks didn't price whites out back then, they moved away and let black folk have South Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta