Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 08:55 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,553,607 times

Advertisements

Could anyone give me a rundown of the similarities, differences, and unique qualities of the Paces, West Paces Ferry/Northside, Tuxedo Park, and Chastain Park neighborhoods in the Buckhead area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2017, 10:39 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
This is an Atlanta native's take; albeit from the City's southside

West Paces Ferry/ Tuxedo Park really are the same neighborhood (I believe that West Paces Ferry is actually the southern boundary of Tuxedo Park; Tuxedo Road comes off of West Paces Ferry) The Governor's Mansion fronts on West Paces Ferry and its is considered to be in Tuxedo Park as is Ann Cox Chamber's homes across the street (also West Paces Ferry) at least on the outskirts of Tuxedo Park. Habersham and Valley Roads (north of West Paces Ferry Road) would also be considered "Tuxedo Park" I think. Tuxedo Park is definitely the one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the City of Atlanta and is the heart of the "Buckhead Mansion District" west of Peachtree Street/ Road on the city's northwest side. Habersham Road crosses West Paces Ferry and dead ends at Peachtree Battle Avenue, kind of the southern tip of the "Buckhead Mansion District" before you cross further south into the still incredibly expensive, but much more modest Collier Hills area. Really that entire west side of Peachtree Street/ Road from Peachtree Battle until Habersham crosses Roswell Road is full of enormous and extremely expensive homes, many on acreage that sell for millions of dollars.

Chastain Park is different. It lies on the far north side of the city. Actually north and west of the "Buckhead Mansion District", Roswell Road is its eastern boundary, Northside Drive its western boundary, and Sandy Springs city limits its northern boundary. It was always a lovely neighborhood too, like Collier Hills further south, but lacked the "multi million dollar estate" feel. Really it used to be all large, comfortable mid century brick homes on nice sized lots (really kind of like the nicest parts of Forest Park on Sequoyah Drive) but there has been MUCH infill in the last twenty five years or so. Now it has many of those large, comfortable brick homes from the Eisenhower Era, with many newer, larger homes mixed in. When I began my teaching career at Sutton Middle School (on the outskirts of the park that gives the community its name) nearly two decades ago, I was told that it was one of the few places that people would pay over a million dollars for a home just to tear it down, or remodel beyond recognition. Of course, there are MANY places that fit that bill in Atlanta, now. All the neighborhoods you have asked about are in the far northwestern section of Atlanta's uptown/ Buckhead district and are among the city's most sought after and expensive neighborhoods. West Paces Ferry/ Tuxedo Park and I will add Peachtree Battle and West Westley are just showier and I would add more expensive; Chastain Park always seemed more laid back and (a little, since you ARE still talking about million dollar plus real estate) less expensive.

Last edited by Clayton white guy; 03-23-2017 at 11:05 PM..

Old 03-24-2017, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
This is an Atlanta native's take; albeit from the City's southside

West Paces Ferry/ Tuxedo Park really are the same neighborhood (I believe that West Paces Ferry is actually the southern boundary of Tuxedo Park; Tuxedo Road comes off of West Paces Ferry) The Governor's Mansion fronts on West Paces Ferry and its is considered to be in Tuxedo Park as is Ann Cox Chamber's homes across the street (also West Paces Ferry) at least on the outskirts of Tuxedo Park. Habersham and Valley Roads (north of West Paces Ferry Road) would also be considered "Tuxedo Park" I think. Tuxedo Park is definitely the one of the most expensive neighborhoods in the City of Atlanta and is the heart of the "Buckhead Mansion District" west of Peachtree Street/ Road on the city's northwest side. Habersham Road crosses West Paces Ferry and dead ends at Peachtree Battle Avenue, kind of the southern tip of the "Buckhead Mansion District" before you cross further south into the still incredibly expensive, but much more modest Collier Hills area. Really that entire west side of Peachtree Street/ Road from Peachtree Battle until Habersham crosses Roswell Road is full of enormous and extremely expensive homes, many on acreage that sell for millions of dollars.

Chastain Park is different. It lies on the far north side of the city. Actually north and west of the "Buckhead Mansion District", Roswell Road is its eastern boundary, Northside Drive its western boundary, and Sandy Springs city limits its northern boundary. It was always a lovely neighborhood too, like Collier Hills further south, but lacked the "multi million dollar estate" feel. Really it used to be all large, comfortable mid century brick homes on nice sized lots (really kind of like the nicest parts of Forest Park on Sequoyah Drive) but there has been MUCH infill in the last twenty five years or so. Now it has many of those large, comfortable brick homes from the Eisenhower Era, with many newer, larger homes mixed in. When I began my teaching career at Sutton Middle School (on the outskirts of the park that gives the community its name) nearly two decades ago, I was told that it was one of the few places that people would pay over a million dollars for a home just to tear it down, or remodel beyond recognition. Of course, there are MANY places that fit that bill in Atlanta, now. All the neighborhoods you have asked about are in the far northwestern section of Atlanta's uptown/ Buckhead district and are among the city's most sought after and expensive neighborhoods. West Paces Ferry/ Tuxedo Park and I will add Peachtree Battle and West Westley are just showier and I would add more expensive; Chastain Park always seemed more laid back and (a little, since you ARE still talking about million dollar plus real estate) less expensive.
Thank you for that helpful information. After looking at some of the information and based upon some of my recollections, I should have asked about some of the differences between the more centrally located Buckhead neighborhoods like Tuxedo Park, Peachtree Heights West, Peachtree Battle Alliance, and Arden/Habersham versus Paces. What are the differences between housing stock, neighbors, convenience (shopping, dining, and schools), etc. in those two broader areas? Insights into particular neighborhoods would be helpful too.

Old 03-24-2017, 07:46 AM

2,307 posts, read 2,996,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Thank you for that helpful information. After looking at some of the information and based upon some of my recollections, I should have asked about some of the differences between the more centrally located Buckhead neighborhoods like Tuxedo Park, Peachtree Heights West, Peachtree Battle Alliance, and Arden/Habersham versus Paces. What are the differences between housing stock, neighbors, convenience (shopping, dining, and schools), etc. in those two broader areas? Insights into particular neighborhoods would be helpful too.
Paces is its own neighborhood, different from NSide/W.Paces. Paces is the area of Ridgewood/Nancy Creek. There are many large, wooded and farm-like estates along Nancy Creek which set it apart.

However, it looks like you want to compare the more northwest areas of Paces/NSide/W.Paces to the areas closer to Peachtree Road, such as PBA and PHW. I've lived in both areas and know them well.

The area of Peachtree Heights West and Peachtree Battle Alliance give you closer access to Peachtree Rd and Buckhead village. They are large, older homes (built in 1910s, 1920s, 1930s) with some sidewalks streets. The Tuxedo Park/Peachtree Heights West neighborhoods have 1/2 acre to multiple acre lots. Peachtree Battle Alliance has some of those larger lots, and some smaller, more intown-feeling streets. There are also newer houses mixed in into all these neighborhoods. Peachtree Heights West is sort of a golden triangle to many, for its access to Peachtree as well as convenience to private schools. The walkability of Peachtree Battle Alliance offers appeal as well and some streets in PHW are walkable to the farmers market at St. Philips and other amenities, although some streets are hilly/busy. If you are considering this area, you might also want to look at Brookwood Hills as it offers a closeknit community with swim/tennis. Houses are close together, so if you are looking for a big, gated estate, it will not be for you.

Paces/W.Paces/Nside has great convenience to the private schools and NAHS. Some streets are walkable to some of the privates which is a big plus. It offers closer access to Vinings, Cumberland. The homes range from gracious estate homes to 60s ranches, but there are fewer and fewer of these smaller homes as redevelopment of them continues. If you are considering this area, you may want to consider true Vinings as well.

Some of the streets in Tuxedo Park give particularly easy access to Chastain Park, Schenck, Galloway School, HIES and Tophat soccer, if these are of concern. WPaces/Northside also gives easy access to these areas which is a plus for parents driving to/from afternoon activities. Chastain offers swimming, tennis, football, softball, baseball, golf, horseback and more.

I would consider where your kids (if any) go to school and whether you prefer being closer to intown/eastside of Atlanta (PHW, PBA) or if your life takes you more in the direction of Sandy Springs/Chastain.

All of these areas are convenient and there are only subtle differences in the sense of community among them. Most of the areas (aside from Brookwood Hills, PBA and some pockets within the other areas which are close knit) are diffuse in terms of neighborliness. I would think about location/access, privacy vs. knowing-your-neighbors, and which school your kids go to.

Old 03-24-2017, 09:17 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
That's a great summary, Jan. It feels to me like the neighborhoods close to Peachtree are more urban, whereas it's more pure estate country as you move west. The Chastain area is terrific, though it is newer in general and has more of a suburban vibe to it.

You really couldn't go wrong in any of these areas.

Old 03-26-2017, 08:16 AM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Great summaries, Jan and Clayton.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:19 PM

Thank you for the detailed responses. These were very helpful. I wish there were parts of Buckhead and Atlanta that had single family homes and were more walkable at the same time, but every city has its shortcomings.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:54 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,619 times
Many parts of Midtown, east of Peachtree Street, has tons of single family homes on leafy quiet streets that are walkable to amenities, too. Especially Ansley Park: walkable west to the arts center, High museum, and Colony Square and east to Piedmont Park/ Botanical Gardens. These are also some high dollar neighborhoods, but are probably more of what you are looking for.

Old 03-26-2017, 09:56 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiruko View Post
Thank you for the detailed responses. These were very helpful. I wish there were parts of Buckhead and Atlanta that had single family homes and were more walkable at the same time, but every city has its shortcomings.

Uh, you need to check out the City of Atlanta neighborhoods outside of Buckhead. Especially on the eastside.

Ansley Park is one of the world's best neighborhoods. Get there. Now.

Old 03-26-2017, 10:46 PM

I have heard about Druid Hills, but it is further away from places important to me. It would be nice to be in a neighborhood with sidewalks and proximity to bike paths and parks. Ansley Park is close to some important points, but the homes are smaller (at least that's what I've been led to believe).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta