Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2017, 05:20 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,645,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
Gridlock at the Federal level is not a bad thing.

Every time there is consensus (either left or right) it ends up costing us a ton of money either in entitlement plans (ACA, expanded Medicare, etc) or defense spending. Hell, the past few years with sequestration and budget cuts were great. NO NEW SPENDING on stupid ****. The less the government decides to spend, the more of my money I get to keep and control my own money.

Gridlock saves money and I'm a fan of that.
But you are a fan of Trump spending $54 billion more In Defense spending?

Old 04-11-2017, 05:31 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,879,787 times
Quote:
Gridlock at the Federal level is not a bad thing.

Every time there is consensus (either left or right) it ends up costing us a ton of money either in entitlement plans (ACA, expanded Medicare, etc) or defense spending. Hell, the past few years with sequestration and budget cuts were great. NO NEW SPENDING on stupid ****. The less the government decides to spend, the more of my money I get to keep and control my own money.

Gridlock saves money and I'm a fan of that.
that may be true, but it also means that we keep wasting money on the same stupid and irrelevant stuff year after year because congress is too gridlocked and government is too tied to corporate and special interests to do anything about it themselves. they still use paper files in the VA.

in general it's gotten so big and unwieldy, people literally don't know what their government is doing, and the people in government don't really know either! for certain profit-seeking individuals, corporations, and special interests, it's a cash cow, so a big confusing mess is probably ideal for them to navigate.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:42 PM

643 posts, read 571,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
But you are a fan of Trump spending $54 billion more In Defense spending?
Where did I say that?

I'm in favor of the budget cuts, but don't think they should be offset with additional defense spending. Make the military operate leaner like the rest of the government. Defense spending is high enough.

Hell, in a post above I praised the sequestration, which cut military budget significantly. Read, son.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:45 PM

643 posts, read 571,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
that may be true, but it also means that we keep wasting money on the same stupid and irrelevant stuff year after year because congress is too gridlocked and government is too tied to corporate and special interests to do anything about it themselves. they still use paper files in the VA.

in general it's gotten so big and unwieldy, people literally don't know what their government is doing, and the people in government don't really know either! for certain profit-seeking individuals, corporations, and special interests, it's a cash cow, so a big confusing mess is probably ideal for them to navigate.
And you think Congress moving quickly or 'acting' is going to change any of that? Congress 'acting' only makes things worse and adds more bureaucracy and inefficiency.

Hell, Ossoff has already been bought by special interests. How did he get $10 million to spend on this campaign? It wasn't grass roots campaigning? Hell nah. 95% of his funding is coming from out of state. He is a BOUGHT man.

THAT is the exact problem you mentioned.

Old 04-11-2017, 05:59 PM

23,470 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
And you think Congress moving quickly or 'acting' is going to change any of that? Congress 'acting' only makes things worse and adds more bureaucracy and inefficiency.

Hell, Ossoff has already been bought by special interests. How did he get $10 million to spend on this campaign? It wasn't grass roots campaigning? Hell nah. 95% of his funding is coming from out of state. He is a BOUGHT man.

Nearly 200k donors help Jon Ossoff net record fundraising haul in Georgia special election | Political Insider blog

Old 04-11-2017, 06:15 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,879,787 times
Quote:

yeah, i know. it's why i'm not voting for the guy. he's clearly a corporate stooge but everybody's all over him because he's got the magic "D". my point is, gridlock won't do anything to stop crookery. if it's crooked, they'll find a way to make it happen— like selling off our internet history to corporations. but if it's something people actually want, "congress is too gridlocked". it's a charade.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:23 PM

9,829 posts, read 7,270,128 times
Quote:
95% of his funding is coming from out of state.
Yeah, from states less stupid/backwards than Georgia. Not surprising. And from states where the liberals are generally wealthy instead of generally poor. So, again, not surprising. Not a damning stat at all for Ossoff, at least to anyone who's not a moron.

This race is important to Democrats and liberals and everyone who's anti-Trump, on a highly visible, national level. For a lot of easy to understand reasons, one being Tom Price serving in the Trump administration.

Old 04-11-2017, 06:50 PM

1,164 posts, read 1,266,397 times
You can see the Q1 filings for all the candidates here.

https://www.georgiapol.com/2017/04/1...iling-reports/

Ossoff raised $8.2 million in individual contributions and received $80,434 from PACs. He's "bought" by an awful lot of people. Heck, I bought a hundred bucks worth. Wonder what favors I'll get from this corporate shill backed by John Lewis and MoveOn?

Old 04-11-2017, 07:23 PM

23,470 posts, read 44,121,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Yeah, from states less stupid/backwards than Georgia. Not surprising. And from states where the liberals are generally wealthy instead of generally poor. So, again, not surprising. Not a damning stat at all for Ossoff, at least to anyone who's not a moron.

This race is important to Democrats and liberals and everyone who's anti-Trump, on a highly visible, national level. For a lot of easy to understand reasons, one being Tom Price serving in the Trump administration.
I rather think you can make your point without insulting your fellow citizens in their entirety. And I'm not at all sure that the voters of the 6th will regard the sources of his war chest in as positive a light as you do.

Old 04-12-2017, 03:15 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,913,697 times
Quote:

A lot of the out-of-state money is small donors. I see people commenting all of the time on Twitter and FB that they have donated from all over the country. There would be no way for a Dem to wage a viable campaign in the 6th without a lot of money. Mary Sue from Colorado sending in $25 isn't buying anybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta