Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 02:47 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Do you permission to post pictures of people's kids on the internet?
Hah! Struck a nerve, did he?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 03:10 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
They're all the same thing essentially

Old 04-18-2017, 03:35 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Do you permission to post pictures of people's kids on the internet?
Well, that's a photo already posted on the internet by a local newspaper, cq, and it was obviously taken in a public place.

But if you think it's a problem, here's one of KSM sans kids.

Old 04-18-2017, 07:42 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
^Looks just like the Avalon crowd, just more casually dressed.

Is there no diversity on the Eastside???

Old 04-18-2017, 08:24 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,876,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

it's getting less and less diverse both racially and socioeconomically as time goes on. gentrification does that.

Old 04-19-2017, 06:46 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post

Of course there is, look at the kitchens of the restaurants.

Old 04-19-2017, 05:56 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,137,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have never understood the misogyny behind terms like Buckhead Betty and Debbie Decatur. These are real women out there with careers, families and worries, hopes and dreams like everyone else. What's the point of belittling and dismissing them?
Arjay, this is truly the most kind and compassionate thing I've read online all day...probably all month! I don't have a horse in this race---I'm female but don't live in Dunwoody or Buckhead and I don't fit into any mold. Granted there are women (and men) who can fit into narrowly circumscribed categories, but people are complex individuals and there may be so much more beneath the surface. To be so dismissive because of where someone lives is narrow-minded. Just as someone is not instantly hip or sophisticated because they live ITP, neither is someone shallow and vapid because of their supposedly less hip or sophisticated zip code.

As for Avalon, I am white but don't feel completely comfortable there. Of course any mall is all about consumerism, but to me Avalon seems especially so. I much prefer the Forum. It has more of a lower-key vibe. The stores and restaurants seem to cater almost exclusively to those with bigger wallets and more desire to spend than most. I live in Gwinnett which no one can argue isn't diverse. I like it that way, but I don't really care whether my fellow shoppers at any mall or store represent a variety of people. How much interaction am I having with them? Why would it matter? And if nonwhites are not shopping at Avalon, that is their choice. I'd be upset if I felt that they were mistreated in any way by other shoppers or by the stores and restaurants. But if they aren't going there because they can't afford most of the offerings (and white discretionary income is still higher than that of many other groups( or the offerings don't appeal, so be it. But I'm not sure how they could be welcomed/encouraged more to go there...or what difference it would make to anyone.

As people said, KMS and PCM aren't very diverse. The people there may be urbane and cutting edge (or so they would like to think), but aren't they all, aside from all being white, basically all the same age and income level? There is more to diversity than just race or ethnicity, and money can sure be a dividing factor.

I knew Avalon wasn't for me when I went into a costume jewelry store there and the "fun" jewelry was 150 to $300!

Tangomonster aka jazzcat22 (new computer---can't log in as jazzcat)

Old 04-19-2017, 06:59 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
In a nutshell, they are building open air malls. Public spaces on private land which will offer tighter control over access granted to vendors and clientele, and limited ability to restrict groups they find undesirable (see Atlantic station).

After a recent trip, I wonder why our American cities and towns largely suck. This is Lenzburg, a town of 10,000 people (in Switzerland) - https://als.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Lenzburg_4654.jpg

Can you imagine the kind of craphole Lenzburg would look like if it were located in the USA? They'd have had 1 traffic light and an abandoned Dairy Queen
Sadly true. Incredible that a town of 10,000 can be so walkable while in the US we think a city has to be New York to achieve this.

As for the diversity line, the times I've been there, PCM was easily the most diverse of the places under discussion.

Old 08-15-2017, 07:55 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,796,625 times
We had to run up to Alpharetta today and decided to stop in at Avalon. Man, that place is flat getting built up.

With the kind of massive density they are doing all over Alpharetta that ought to start bringing prices down soon.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:45 PM

347 posts, read 380,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
We had to run up to Alpharetta today and decided to stop in at Avalon. Man, that place is flat getting built up.

With the kind of massive density they are doing all over Alpharetta that ought to start bringing prices down soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA5UvcqPo-k

They did a timelapse of their outparcel's there in the downtown/city hall area. This is what's planned to connect to the Avalon via a greenway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta