Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 10:49 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
We're losing elbow room, y'all.

(sorry, arjay, I had to. )
It's a major concern, Pemgin. Once ER is gone it's almost impossible to get it back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 11:17 AM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times
Yeah, but that's what the suburbs are for.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:31 AM

9,830 posts, read 7,254,477 times
I wonder if Atlanta will ever catch up with/surpass Seattle in city population, someday. They currently have ~700,000 population to Atlanta's ~475,000, but only 83 square miles of land, as opposed to Atlanta's 133.

The larger question, I wonder to what kind of degree Atlanta will become more dense over the decades. I wonder if 50+ years from now, the majority of its land area will still be largely made up of low-density single-family homes with large backyards.

I don't think density is necessarily bad or good, but Atlanta's very low density is certainly different than most cities.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:38 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,851,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It's a major concern, Pemgin. Once ER is gone it's almost impossible to get it back.
No it's not, look at the Westside and SWAT. Once bustling with families and people, now hollowed out.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:04 PM

7,132 posts, read 9,128,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I wonder if Atlanta will ever catch up with/surpass Seattle in city population, someday. They currently have ~700,000 population to Atlanta's ~475,000, but only 83 square miles of land, as opposed to Atlanta's 133.

The larger question, I wonder to what kind of degree Atlanta will become more dense over the decades. I wonder if 50+ years from now, the majority of its land area will still be largely made up of low-density single-family homes with large backyards.

I don't think density is necessarily bad or good, but Atlanta's very low density is certainly different than most cities.
Nope. Doubt it. Seattle is firing on all cylinders and unlike Atlanta, it doesn't have a huge crime problem which means less people are afraid of living in the city. Seattle's tech oriented economy also means the types people who like urban living only enhance the growth rates of Seattle. When people move to Seattle, nearly a third of them are actually move to the city, vs only little over a tenth of people for Atlanta.

If Atlanta wants to actually start growing at a very rapid clip, you need about 20% of people moving to the metro to actually choose the city. It sounds easier than it actually is.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:42 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
No it's not, look at the Westside and SWAT. Once bustling with families and people, now hollowed out.
Well, that's true. You may get it back, but it typically takes two or three generations, and maybe longer.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:23 PM

163 posts, read 138,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Nope. Doubt it. Seattle is firing on all cylinders and unlike Atlanta, it doesn't have a huge crime problem which means less people are afraid of living in the city. Seattle's tech oriented economy also means the types people who like urban living only enhance the growth rates of Seattle. When people move to Seattle, nearly a third of them are actually move to the city, vs only little over a tenth of people for Atlanta.

If Atlanta wants to actually start growing at a very rapid clip, you need about 20% of people moving to the metro to actually choose the city. It sounds easier than it actually is.
Maybe I'm underestimating the number of highly-paid tech workers out there, but one thing that will limit Seattle's growth is the price of housing--it's just grown too unaffordable for massive numbers of people to buy in the city.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:46 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,627,599 times
City of Atlanta is holding its own with suburban counties. Gwinnett is the only county that outpaced it in growth this year (in absolute numbers), and it's over three times the land area.

Speaking of Gwinnett, why are people so sure it's going to eventually overtake Fulton? Fulton keeps growing at the same or slightly higher pace than Gwinnett. They're virtually the same distance apart now as they were in 2010 (around 115,000). That's a pretty big deficit to make up with both counties essentially gaining the same amount year over year.

Last edited by Pemgin; 05-25-2017 at 02:54 PM..

Old 05-25-2017, 09:21 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,377,156 times
It's a good gain, but I'm not going to get wildly exciting just yet. I still remember the lesson of the 2000's projections. Of course, the error in the Census estimates then was they still were projecting the high growth rate demonstrated by residential construction and home sales onto the recession period. At the same time, they failed to take note of the massive losses of housing such as the demolition of the public housing and the recession home foreclosures which pushed lots of people out of the city into the cheaper suburbs. Most of the people left without public housing could not afford to live elsewhere and could not get any kind of loan to buy a house. It was a unique set of circumstances that left the numbers way off. Most of that is now over and we have rejuvenation jumping into new areas. There has been a massive number of residential construction so there should be a significant jump come 2020.

However, it may not be as big as some hope. Data shows that high-rise buildings often contain only 1 person per unit and have a high number of people who leave the units after a year or two. Contrary to what many think, SFH areas have higher numbers due to the presence of multiple people per house. One block may contain as many as 50 houses depending on size, and may have anywhere from 1-2 people to 3-6 people per house and you may have 500 people total compared to a 300 unit tower with 1-2 per unit typically. Given one subdivision or neighborhood may have 500+ homes, you get more population.

I'm sticking with the wait-and-see approach.

Old 05-26-2017, 11:16 AM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,220 times
Someone a lot more knowledgeable about this stuff told me that Fulton County was the reason for the cities over-inflated estimates. He explained that during the last decade Fulton County petitioned the OMB for a correction in the county population estimate and after the OMB adjusted the County estimates higher, they had to find somewhere to put all those people resulting in the city's erroneous estimates. Fulton County's 2009 estimate was 1.034 million but only 926,149 after the 2010 census. And this was BEFORE the 2010 census when he was explaining why he thought the estimates were inaccurate. I was hoping he was wrong but....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta