Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2017, 12:37 PM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
I set cruise control on 70. When I pass, I don't accelerate around someone; I change lanes and continue going 70. I try to time it so that so I'm not pulling out in front of people wanting to go much faster. If vehicles approach, then I'll accelerate to match their speed so I'm not holding people up. I hope I make sense. A picture is truly worth a thousand words.
Legal or Illegal, this is incredibly dangerous. ESPECIALLY if the vehicle you're passing is a larger vehicle with blind spots. When you pass, you need to get it done ASAP. More often than not the car you're passing is not paying attention and the longer you linger around him the more risk you put yourself in something happening in front of him (or even side of him) and he merges into you putting you in the median. Also if you're matching his speed and not passing him, you're breaking the law. The left lane is for passing only. If you don't want to speed by him that's fine but you need to stay behind him and slow down a little if you don't feel comfortable passing him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlantaMove View Post
Not sure you getting the point, whether I understand or not. I don't cruise in the far left lane if it can be avoided, regardless of my speed. Regardless, I'll continue to respectfully and safely operate my vehicles as I've done for scores of years over the interstates across this country with absolutely NO moving violations and you do as you wish.
NEVER Cruise in the far left lane on any interstate. It's illegal. (Not accusing you, just making a statement)

Quote:
Originally Posted by st3mpy View Post
The "Slow Poke" law is inane.

What's insane is how treating a malfunctioning traffic light as a four way stop managed to make it on the list of "11 traffic laws you didn't know." I really don't want to be on the road with that author.
I don't like that name of it. But that law definitely has a purpose. You assume everyone in the left lane is speeding and breaking the law but quick to forget that cruising in that lane is ALSO illegal and has been well before the slow poke law. Stay out of the left lane unless you're passing. If you can't pass you need to get back over..even if you're doing the speed limit.

I didn't read the link, and while I don't find it dangerous I find it excruciatingly annoying at the amount of drivers that stop at a flashing Amber traffic light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2017, 01:10 PM

1,879 posts, read 1,554,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Legal or Illegal, this is incredibly dangerous. ESPECIALLY if the vehicle you're passing is a larger vehicle with blind spots. When you pass, you need to get it done ASAP. More often than not the car you're passing is not paying attention and the longer you linger around him the more risk you put yourself in something happening in front of him (or even side of him) and he merges into you putting you in the median. Also if you're matching his speed and not passing him, you're breaking the law. The left lane is for passing only. If you don't want to speed by him that's fine but you need to stay behind him and slow down a little if you don't feel comfortable passing him.
lol I never said I match speed their speed. How do you explain semis that'll pass you going one mile an hour faster than you? Obviously they can just mash the accelerator and blow by you but...

Old 09-10-2017, 10:02 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
If you're not from around here, you need to know that it is acceptable to go a couple miles above the speed limit on most of our roads and highways, and whatever you do, please don't do what I saw someone do on 285 earlier this evening--going about 7-8 under in the left lane. Nobody in front of them. Florida tag. Several other drivers with Florida tags were driving almost as slowly, but thankfully not in the left lane. Not a minute later, four people--all with Georgia tags--went flying down the left two lanes.

I get that y'all Floridians are under a lot of stress about Irma, but please, while you're here, you gotta adapt to the way we drive around here, which is not slow--especially in the left lane!

Old 09-11-2017, 07:33 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
If you're not from around here, you need to know that it is acceptable to go a couple miles above the speed limit on most of our roads and highways, and whatever you do, please don't do what I saw someone do on 285 earlier this evening--going about 7-8 under in the left lane. Nobody in front of them. Florida tag. Several other drivers with Florida tags were driving almost as slowly, but thankfully not in the left lane. Not a minute later, four people--all with Georgia tags--went flying down the left two lanes.

I get that y'all Floridians are under a lot of stress about Irma, but please, while you're here, you gotta adapt to the way we drive around here, which is not slow--especially in the left lane!
LOL! I think what toll_booth might be trying to say nicely to out-of-state drivers is to push the pedal through the floor when driving through Atlanta on the freeway, ESPECIALLY when driving in the passing lane (...just do like the locals do and "punch it!" when in the passing lane on the freeway, lol).

Otherwise, from an Atlanta driving perspective, if one is not going to use the passing lane to actually pass, both out-of-state and in-state drivers alike need to do this...

Ludacris - "Move B***H (Get Out The Way!)"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tw429JGL5zo

The best line from the song that describes much of the Atlanta driving mindset in a nutshell:

"I'm doing a hundred on the highway, so if you do the speed limit get the F**K out of MY WAY!"

That song is the unofficial Atlanta driving' anthem... a song that with the mindset of many Atlanta drivers, should be the OFFICIAL Atlanta driving anthem.

Old 09-11-2017, 10:47 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
LOL! I think what toll_booth might be trying to say nicely to out-of-state drivers is to push the pedal through the floor when driving through Atlanta on the freeway, ESPECIALLY when driving in the passing lane (...just do like the locals do and "punch it!" when in the passing lane on the freeway, lol).

Otherwise, from an Atlanta driving perspective, if one is not going to use the passing lane to actually pass, both out-of-state and in-state drivers alike need to do this...

The best line from the song that describes much of the Atlanta driving mindset in a nutshell:

"I'm doing a hundred on the highway, so if you do the speed limit get the F**K out of MY WAY!"

That song is the unofficial Atlanta driving' anthem... a song that with the mindset of many Atlanta drivers, should be the OFFICIAL Atlanta driving anthem.
I've joked for years that the unofficial speed limit is the highway/interstate number. 75, 85, 285, 400...

And I-20...

Old 09-11-2017, 11:00 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,367,724 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post

Quote:
I've joked for years that the unofficial speed limit is the highway/interstate number. 75, 85, 285, 400...

And I-20...
Yes! Yes! Yes! And I don't talk and not do. I make sure if I see someone speeding up behind me when I'm in the left lane to move. I put on that indicator if I can't go over immediately to let them know that I will get out of the way and when it's safe, I move. Doing 65 or less in a 65 mph zone (left lane) is a no no. It's like they're trying to test people.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:44 AM

11,804 posts, read 8,012,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccernerd View Post
lol I never said I match speed their speed. How do you explain semis that'll pass you going one mile an hour faster than you? Obviously they can just mash the accelerator and blow by you but...
My dad is a truck driver. 85% of Semi's are governed between 65 and 72 MPH. They have the intent on passing but usually when they linger by you, it's because they literally CANT ... If there's a semi trying to pass you... There also likely a line of cars behind him trying to pass. Either slow down and let him pass to clear up the left lane and don't right side and side with him.. or speed up so he can get back into the right lane and cars can continue passing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta