Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2017, 06:44 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,932,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooktheoriginal View Post
That's right, I mean by the time Harvey was as close to Houston it had 50 mph sustained winds and the tropical storm wind field was out up to 160 miles. Irma was a tropical depression at its closest point to Atlanta but as a tropical storm its tropical storm winds extended out 415 miles from the center. That's incredibly large!! Sandy in 2012 may have had the largest tropical storm wind field that I can recall and that was 485 miles away from the center before it made landfall.
Didn't realize it was that far out!
Supposedly NWS Atlanta issued its first ever trop storm warning for the Atlanta area which is crazy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2017, 04:48 AM

617 posts, read 551,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
He was right. Outside of trees falling Atlanta has never been smashed. For the most part this was the average strong storm you see in the summer in Atlanta but the only difference is this storm lasted longer with 45 mph winds.We have storms that cause trees to fall all the time. RIP to the person that died in SS due to the tree falling.

Btw he probably meant severe as in the Katrina in New Orleans, Andrews in South Florida, Sandy, Boston blizzard a few years ago, San Francisco earthquake, etc. Severe intermediate, severe moderate and severe advance should be the levels when talking about severe weather.

There are levels to severe weather. Real catastrophic severe weather leaves billions of dollars in damage, dozens of death in said city, city takes months to get back normal, etc. This disrupted parts of the city for a day and should be back to normal tomorrow.

The average person in ATL and the news will overhype anything. Get your bread and milk we about to get an 1 inch snowstorm. Trees will be falling get your bread and milk. Overall this storm wasn't bad. Yes a few people were killed by falling trees and yes 1000s of people are without power and yes the 45 mph winds made windows shake but overall was it that bad? Heck no. What is bad is the flooding in Jacksonville and the damage on the keys. Most people who thinks this is bad have never been in a real disaster like when Albany got flooded in 1994 or any other major disaster.

I know a few emotional people are going to argue with me about this. People who have never been in a real tornado, cat 5 hurricane, a real flood, earthquake, etc but I don't argue only back and forth. If you think this was a catastrophic storm so be it. It was a good rain storm with 45 mph winds that brought trees down. By this weekend when MM is here most people will have forgot about this storm

I tend to believe that this "overhype" idea in Atlanta is due to the fact that we are blessed to have pretty decent weather overall. We don't get hurricane/ tropical storms, snowstorms, and tornados on a regular frequency. So when we do have a chance at really bad weather people tend to react pretty dramatically. Idk I guess I am just guessing. But I would also hate it if we were ill prepared for any significant weather event which seemed to happen with Snowmageddon in 2014 lol.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:48 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
I know right!! All the people I've spoken to today said that they've experienced power outages. 2 of them lost power to their house and another lost internet/t.v. but their apartment still had power, while I'm sitting here posting things to city data forum, deciding what to watch later, and warming up food in the microwave. I am grateful we didn't get hit hard. It's about 9:30 and so I think the worst is over. To be honest, I feel as if I have seen worse from a severe thunderstorm than I did this storm. Anyway, I'm really grateful. Maybe all in all it was just a severe thunderstorm or maybe I'll hear about all the damage tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
There was definitely a lot of damage around. I was listening to the ham radio weather net for all the damage reports and they were coming fast and hard at times. More than I've ever heard in all my years of monitoring severe weather.
That's what gets me. I didn't think the winds around here were that strong. Maybe we have so many trees hanging over so many power lines.

Old 09-13-2017, 11:50 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,155,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Didn't realize it was that far out!
Supposedly NWS Atlanta issued its first ever trop storm warning for the Atlanta area which is crazy.
Historically tropical storm and hurricane warnings were only issued along the cost. This issuing of warnings specifically for inland counties is new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta