Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 06:47 AM

1,901 posts, read 3,086,502 times

Advertisements

So we visited Woodstock yesterday for only the third time and I have to say...completely underwhelmed once again. The only really cool part of the area is Downtown Woodstock. Outside of that there's sparce commercial development along Hwy 92, but the rest is very "backwoods"...no disrespect to anyone who loves Woodstock, but I just don't get it. And by get "it" I'm referring to the fact that everyone(my coworkers, family, even you guys) seem to put Woodstock above Marietta, Duluth, or anywhere else we've looked. What am I missing??

We're still looking, but after yesterday my wife wants nothing to do with Woodstock unless we can buy a townhouse downtown. Marietta is looking like more of our preference...good mix of country and big development
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2017, 08:36 AM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
The more I look at these posts, the more and more that Doraville REALLY looks like an "outlier" (no disrespect toward the northeastern Dekalb County municipality) with the description of "urban/rural" mix. I wonder if he misheard "Doraville" for "Dawsonville". MUCH closer to North Fulton, but if he wasn't "impressed" with Woodstock, I KNOW Dawsonville would not "ring his bells", either.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
The more I look at these posts, the more and more that Doraville REALLY looks like an "outlier" (no disrespect toward the northeastern Dekalb County municipality) with the description of "urban/rural" mix. I wonder if he misheard "Doraville" for "Dawsonville". MUCH closer to North Fulton, but if he wasn't "impressed" with Woodstock, I KNOW Dawsonville would not "ring his bells", either.
Yea it really was just one person's recommendation...no one has agreed with it so far(online and offline). Dawsonville was mentioned by a cousin this weekend, but its pretty far north. Anything further than Cumming is too far away from everything in my opinion.

I don't think I've found a better "urban/rural" mix than Marietta and Roswell at this point...with Marietta being more affordable

Old 09-18-2017, 03:24 PM

2,324 posts, read 2,906,895 times
I think the answer is Alpharetta itself - nice up and coming downtown area, plenty of amenities, and parts outside of the corporate zones that still feel rural

Old 09-18-2017, 03:42 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presidentsharpe View Post
Doraville is where you are going to get the best return on investment. But as for raising a family, there are some small pockets but Doraville isnt known for families moving in. It's a very transitional area right now. 5-10 years from now when the Doraville MARTA development is done, it will be a different feel. Also beware that Atlanta is trying to make a Chinatown near Doraville off Buford Highway. You might like that type of thing though.

As for Woodstock and Marietta? There is nothing in Woodstock. And you for sure won't get a good return on investment.

Marietta is the way to go.

As for your commute to work, there are plenty of streets to get around Atlanta. There is also MARTA.
There is "nothing in Woodstock?" Funny that someone was complaining just this weekend on Next Door that downtown Woodstock does not have enough parking for all of the people flocking to enjoy their weekends in Woodstock. Maybe you have not been lately?

Old 09-18-2017, 03:46 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,910,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilly Gentilly View Post
So we visited Woodstock yesterday for only the third time and I have to say...completely underwhelmed once again. The only really cool part of the area is Downtown Woodstock. Outside of that there's sparce commercial development along Hwy 92, but the rest is very "backwoods"...no disrespect to anyone who loves Woodstock, but I just don't get it. And by get "it" I'm referring to the fact that everyone(my coworkers, family, even you guys) seem to put Woodstock above Marietta, Duluth, or anywhere else we've looked. What am I missing??

We're still looking, but after yesterday my wife wants nothing to do with Woodstock unless we can buy a townhouse downtown. Marietta is looking like more of our preference...good mix of country and big development
Did you look in the Towne Lake area? That certainly could not be called "backwoods." Downtown Woodstock is up and coming. If you want something farther along.... Marietta or Roswell.

Old 09-18-2017, 08:28 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,569,440 times
If you can swing something in Roswell that would be my choice . Marietta just seems to far to drive.

Old 09-19-2017, 05:37 AM

816 posts, read 994,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Did you look in the Towne Lake area? That certainly could not be called "backwoods." Downtown Woodstock is up and coming. If you want something farther along.... Marietta or Roswell.
I wonder if they were looking around the areas off of Arnold Mill Rd. Those parts of Woodstock definitely have a more "country" feel. But you're right, Towne Lake (where I live) is always bustling with activity and tons of stuff around.

Old 09-19-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecluder617 View Post
I wonder if they were looking around the areas off of Arnold Mill Rd. Those parts of Woodstock definitely have a more "country" feel. But you're right, Towne Lake (where I live) is always bustling with activity and tons of stuff around.
We definitely drove down Arnold Mill for a minute...and man LOL. That was a tad more rural than we'd enjoy. We'll go again this weekend and check out the Towne Lake community. We already love DT Woodstock.

I had a quick chat with another group of coworkers yesterday and they almost completely talked me out of Cobb County. Apparently the cops are a bit extra on that side when it comes to brown folks like me...any thoughts?

Roswell and Alpharetta are still in my back pocket in case I come across something affordable (250k-300k)

Old 09-19-2017, 09:59 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Doraville????

Smack the person who gave you that advice.
Right? LOL

Doraville wouldn't make a top 20 list for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta