Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 07:55 AM

693 posts, read 356,841 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to move to GA by next summer, and for months now, I've been eyeing the Suwanee area. I visited a few months ago, and really liked it.

Are there any areas to avoid (crime, ghetto'ish, etc)? Oh, and racism. I'm hispanic, and just want to make sure I'm not jumping into the frying pan. I'm not looking for hispanic neighborhoods, just want to make sure I'm not going to an area that doesn't welcome me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 12:29 PM

333 posts, read 387,862 times
Like many here, I'm not allowed to answer your question as it is written (steer). What I can share, however, is that Suwanee is served by Collins Hill, North Gwinnett and Peachtree Ridge High Schools, that you can review disciplinary actions by school, that the zip code for Suwanee is 30024 and that Suwanee has a dedicated police force. You may not have kids, but the population of schools often mirror the areas they serve.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:46 AM

71 posts, read 193,053 times
I'm a person of color and lived in Suwanee, GA from 2013-2015 (on Friars Head Dr). I left specifically because of racism in my predominantly White and Asian neighborhood. Another parent of color (that I met at my children's local school)who lived in a nearby neighborhood felt the same way...not welcomed.

Old 10-23-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancelace View Post
I'm a person of color and lived in Suwanee, GA from 2013-2015 (on Friars Head Dr). I left specifically because of racism in my predominantly White and Asian neighborhood. Another parent of color (that I met at my children's local school)who lived in a nearby neighborhood felt the same way...not welcomed.
Thanks. That's my fear, especially in today's climate. Lot's of closet bigotry.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:41 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
Wow, I've never heard of racism in Suwanee, but I certainly can't argue with someone's personal experience. I'm Suwanee's neighbor to the south, Duluth, and I can say with a high degree of confidence that we don't have any racism. We're majority minority, and pretty much mixed more or less equally among whites, Hispanics, blacks, and Asians.

I'm not sure I'd let those experiences sway you. It sounds unfortunate, but I know for a fact that there are thousands of black people happily living in Suwanee.

But don't take my word for it....use this handy tool to see who lives where!

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

PS - I'm kind of curious, did your friends specify whether they felt the racism directed at them came mostly from whites or Asians? I don't know about today, but I do know that Koreans and blacks had a bit of a tumultuous relationship in California through the 80s and 90s. Kind of curious as to whether any of that migrated with them.

Old 10-23-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Wow, I've never heard of racism in Suwanee, but I certainly can't argue with someone's personal experience. I'm Suwanee's neighbor to the south, Duluth, and I can say with a high degree of confidence that we don't have any racism. We're majority minority, and pretty much mixed more or less equally among whites, Hispanics, blacks, and Asians.

I'm not sure I'd let those experiences sway you. It sounds unfortunate, but I know for a fact that there are thousands of black people happily living in Suwanee.

But don't take my word for it....use this handy tool to see who lives where!

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

PS - I'm kind of curious, did your friends specify whether they felt the racism directed at them came mostly from whites or Asians? I don't know about today, but I do know that Koreans and blacks had a bit of a tumultuous relationship in California through the 80s and 90s. Kind of curious as to whether any of that migrated with them.
Unfortunately, the other parent and I experienced racism from both Whites and Asians. I'm slow to use the word "racism" as I've lived in many places (even abroad) where it wasn't an issue. With Suwanee, it was immediately obvious and very uncomfortable.

As for Duluth, I truly enjoyed attending Cross Pointe Church with Pastor Merritt. That was my only dealing with Duluth, but still a great church with great people.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:08 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,050,476 times
Also, may I ask if you and your friend were actually living within the town limits of Suwanee, or the area of unincorporated Gwinnett/Forsyth counties sometimes referred to as Suwanee for postal code reasons?

This is really shocking to me.

Old 10-23-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Also, may I ask if you and your friend were actually living within the town limits of Suwanee, or the area of unincorporated Gwinnett/Forsyth counties sometimes referred to as Suwanee for postal code reasons?

This is really shocking to me.
ATLTJL,

Attached, you will find a screenshot of the area in which I lived. My friend lived in the area directly across the street from my neighborhood.
Attached Thumbnails
Any area to avoid in Suwanee?-screen-shot-2017-10-23-5.33.09  

Last edited by chancelace; 10-23-2017 at 05:00 PM..

Old 10-24-2017, 06:49 AM

I know this summer when I went to visit the area, I took the family to some ice cream shop in Duluth in their downtown area, and my daughter and I overheard some couple say "they're sure are a lot of hispanics here lately".

Not sure if the comment came from a racist place, but it immediately made my daughter feel uncomfortable.

Old 10-24-2017, 07:17 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbernard View Post
I know this summer when I went to visit the area, I took the family to some ice cream shop in Duluth in their downtown area, and my daughter and I overheard some couple say "they're sure are a lot of hispanics here lately".

Not sure if the comment came from a racist place, but it immediately made my daughter feel uncomfortable.
The area around downtown Duluth has had a large number of Hispanics for the past 15 years, so clearly those people don’t get out much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta