Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 06:58 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
I live about 1/2 mile ITP. In "fake ITP" as you put it. I'm going to comment anyway.

Downtown Atlanta sucks. Only reason I ever have to go there is shows at Tabernacle and Masquerade. Maybe in 5-10 years it will be a lot better. Right now it's mostly tourist bull crap, GSU, and hotels. Why would I go there? Centennial Park area is cool, that's about it.

Downtown Marietta is a million times better. I go up there instead.

I will say this though, I've always been fascinated with Peachtree Center. When I worked Downtown back in 2004, on my lunch break I used to have fun seeing how many buildings I could explore without ever going outside.

John Portman was/is sort of a futurist, IMO. I like his designs, and how connected everything is around there.

When I was a kid I really liked Hard Rock Cafe.

The Sun Dial is cool, but I'm not good with heights. I still go.
I didn't just mean downtown even though I said downtown. I mean Midtown, 04W, etc. Basically TON area
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 07:10 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,859,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Only when the dreaded jury duty notice arrives.
LOL, i live in Sandy Springs and the only time I've been downtown for the past year was for jury duty.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:22 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
I didn't realize so many people OTP never venture ITP.

So what are all those other cars on the road doing there trying to get into town when I'm also trying to get there???

Old 11-17-2017, 07:36 PM

32,025 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I didn't realize so many people OTP never venture ITP.

So what are all those other cars on the road doing there trying to get into town when I'm also trying to get there???
A huge number of folks are just cutting through. Also you've got lots of people who live ITP but commute to work OTP. Not to mention those who are taking kids to and from school, shopping and just generally running around. Commuting is generally viewed as constituting around 20% of all driving.

In Atlanta you've got people going every which way. That's part of the reason why "inbound" traffic is heavier in the afternoon and vice versa.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:37 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,933,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I personally would never ever want to live ITP of Atlanta.
Why not? We deal with way less traffic than you do.

Old 11-17-2017, 07:50 PM

Quote:
I don't think this is a valid point.

In my experience, it totally depends on precisely where you live in both areas. For example when I lived in Smyrna (Post Village, holla!) the development was flanked by Cobb Pkwy, Spring Rd, and Windy Hill Road. I felt like a prisoner in my own home, and would never even attempt to leave between 3pm and 7pm to run any errand.

Where I live now in Duluth, it's the opposite. I can get absolutely anywhere I want to any time, so long as I don't have to go to the other (east) side of I-85. I don't care if it's 6pm or 3am...I can get to Kroger, Publix, and a billion other places in the same exact amount of time.

When I lived in Buckhead, it was a cross in between. Some places I could get to easily, some I didn't attempt during certain parts of the day.

So I don't think it matters whether you live ITP or OTP per se, I think it matters exactly where you live in either place that determines how much traffic you face to get daily things accomplished.

Old 11-17-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't think this is a valid point.

In my experience, it totally depends on precisely where you live in both areas. For example when I lived in Smyrna (Post Village, holla!) the development was flanked by Cobb Pkwy, Spring Rd, and Windy Hill Road. I felt like a prisoner in my own home, and would never even attempt to leave between 3pm and 7pm to run any errand.

Where I live now in Duluth, it's the opposite. I can get absolutely anywhere I want to any time, so long as I don't have to go to the other (east) side of I-85. I don't care if it's 6pm or 3am...I can get to Kroger, Publix, and a billion other places in the same exact amount of time.

When I lived in Buckhead, it was a cross in between. Some places I could get to easily, some I didn't attempt during certain parts of the day.

So I don't think it matters whether you live ITP or OTP per se, I think it matters exactly where you live in either place that determines how much traffic you face to get daily things accomplished.
In my case, I live very near PDK. Outside of rush hours, it's a breeze to get anywhere that matters to me within a few mile radius. We live a little over a mile from Brookhaven Station, so we never drive to the Airport or Downtown. Clairmont between Buford Hwy & 85 in the afternoon M-F is a ridiculous crawl, as is Dresden during both am & pm rush. Peachtree is inbound/outbound bad depending on am or pm. Outside of rush hour and on weekends, it's a breeze getting around though.

My sister and her family used to live in Central Gwinnett, and it was much worse. Five Forks Trikum seemed to be pretty decent, but Sugarloaf, Scenic Hwy and several others were just unbelievable to me - especially on weekends. If I did live out there (I used to work on Brown Rd at Sugarloaf), it would be in your general area West of 85. I've always liked it over there.

Just my take on things.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:07 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
I live a six mile drive outside of both Midtown an Downtown and still rarely go to either. Midtown sometimes. Downtown pretty much never. Downtown just doesn't have anything I would frequent. I pass through it sometimes on my way elsewhere. Almost all of our shopping, eating, etc is done up in Smyrna and Vinings.

I imagine most people who live far OTP almost never come in town. They probably have everything they could ever need out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMatl View Post
Yeah, the connector is known for it's wide-open lanes.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Yeah, the connector is known for it's wide-open lanes.
LOL! True, but I avoid it & the Perimeter at all costs. The only time I'm ever on the Connector is when we're going out of town by car, which is extremely rare. We pretty much fly everywhere, including FL.

I haven't been on the Perimeter in years, thank God.

Old 11-17-2017, 10:48 PM

See, it's the same exact way for intowners and suburbanites alike...you learn which corridors are traffic-heavy and avoid them.

I don't think either area inherently has more or less traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta