Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 10:20 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times

Advertisements

The newsiest thing to me is the tunnel to connect 400 and 675. Can't believe that is seriously being considered. While they are down there digging, could they put in HRT?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2017, 11:25 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
The newsiest thing to me is the tunnel to connect 400 and 675. Can't believe that is seriously being considered. While they are down there digging, could they put in HRT?
I guess that before the building outrage over the tunnel proposal goes any farther, it should be pointed out that the linked to Atlanta Journal-Constitution article that talks about the East Atlanta tunnel proposal is from Thursday, December 10, 2009.

Quote:
Toll tunnel under east Atlanta a top DOT proposal

Ariel Hart - The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Updated 7:04 p.m Thursday, Dec. 10, 2009 Metro Atlanta / State news
In the nearly 8 years since this article was published, GDOT (the Georgia Department of Transportation) seemed to have backed away from the highly controversial Intown East Atlanta tunnel proposal for obvious and various reasons.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:35 PM

617 posts, read 552,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I guess that before the building outrage over the tunnel proposal goes any farther, it should be pointed out that the linked to Atlanta Journal-Constitution article that talks about the East Atlanta tunnel proposal is from Thursday, December 10, 2009.

In the nearly 8 years since this article was published, GDOT (the Georgia Department of Transportation) seemed to have backed away from the highly controversial Intown East Atlanta tunnel proposal for obvious and various reasons.
And with the way East Atlanta has gentrified in those past 8 years and continues to gentrify, this project would never get off the ground or underground lol.

Old 11-18-2017, 02:55 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post

Thanks for the clarification. Logging on at work and have to kind of sneak to do something non work related so didn't notice that important date.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
And with the way East Atlanta has gentrified in those past 8 years and continues to gentrify, this project would never get off the ground or underground lol.
This.

And also a gubernatorial candidate who was an early frontrunner in the 2010 Georgia governor's race, former Georgia state Insurance Commissioner John Oxendine, foolishly attempted to run his entire gubernatorial campaign on the issue of running a multibillion-dollar tunnel under Intown East Atlanta and ended in disaster when he did not even make the runoff of the GOP primary.

Oxendine attempted to make running a tunnel under Intown East Atlanta as an act of spite against Intown/ITP urban Atlanta residents for the pleasure of OTP suburban, exurban metro Atlantans and rural Georgians a campaign platform wedge issue and it backfired badly.

Many decidedly conservative OTP outer-suburban, exurban and rural voters may not necessarily have much love politically, socially or culturally for their more progressive ITP urban counterparts.

But even with as much political, social and cultural dislike as those deeply conservative OTP voters may have for their more progressive ITP and Intown counterparts, those conservative OTP voters probably still don't want to spend $4 billion or more of extremely limited state transportation funds on one single massively expensive tunneling project just to spite them for pleasure.

That's especially in a state where many voters seem really not to like high-profile large-scale road construction projects that they perceive to be unnecessary.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Thanks for the clarification. Logging on at work and have to kind of sneak to do something non work related so didn't notice that important date.
That's okay. I just thought that I would point that out before everyone started to get themselves worked up into a lather over something that I don't think has even been a serious proposal in about 7-8 years.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:49 PM

23,726 posts, read 24,872,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I personally think Atlanta doesnt give a rat about roads or rails.. GADOT budget is really too low to heavily address either concern.
Atlanta does give a crap, it's residents approved a sales tax increase to fund transit expansion by 70%.

Old 11-19-2017, 05:15 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,695,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
"...The project will improve 4.3 miles of I-285 from west of Roswell Road to east of Ashford Dunwoody Road and 6.2 miles along SR 400 from the Glenridge Connector to Spalding Drive."
"The estimated total project cost is $800 million..."

I 285 SR 400 Improvements

"...What is the cost of the Northwest Corridor Express Lanes Project? The total project cost estimate is $834 million..."
http://www.dot.ga.gov/DriveSmart/GEL.../FAQs/FAQs.pdf

"...A controversial concept to link Ga. 400 to I-675 by digging under east Atlanta has for a couple of years found its way onto some policymakers’ wish lists. But this month it found itself someplace better: Among the state Department of Transportation’s top toll projects pitched to private investors and road-building companies..."
"...The tunnel's estimated cost is $3.7 billion..."

Toll tunnel under east Atlanta a top DOT proposal
In addition to the various construction costs associated with roads for cars, they are incredibly costly in opportunity. They are the worst possible use of their space for moving large-numbers of people, with mixed-traffic buses being the second worst.

They do not generate enough usage fees to pay for themselves, nor do they generate enough property tax revenue to pay for themselves.

They actively reduce economic activity, decrease safety, hurt public health, and are incredibly damaging to the over all environment.

That's not to say that they shouldn't ever be built at all, just that we are doing incredibly stupid things by hyper-prioritizing them over other modes of transportation.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:25 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,940,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourthwarden View Post
In addition to the various construction costs associated with roads for cars, they are incredibly costly in opportunity. They are the worst possible use of their space for moving large-numbers of people, with mixed-traffic buses being the second worst.

They do not generate enough usage fees to pay for themselves, nor do they generate enough property tax revenue to pay for themselves.

They actively reduce economic activity, decrease safety, hurt public health, and are incredibly damaging to the over all environment.

That's not to say that they shouldn't ever be built at all, just that we are doing incredibly stupid things by hyper-prioritizing them over other modes of transportation.
I'll continue to say that a new western bypass for I-75 should be built to remove all Florida-Midwest traffic from mixing with our local traffic.

It can be done for cheap through rural wilderness and would take 40,000 cars and trucks off our roads every day.

Anything other road improvement projects sorta paralleling our existing freeway routes is money better spent than the hideous planned elevated, concrete viaducts along I-285 and other interstates.

The only positive about our freeways is that they impress and intimidate non-residents & are world-renowned as some of the widest.

I can tell you than for most of the US outside of really walkable cities, having the money to add 1-2 lanes to the interstates is an almost universally-shared dream come true.

So to them, Atlanta's highways appear as the holy grail as if money were no object.

They don't realize that back where they live there are multiple, smaller alternate routes that serve them better than what we have.

Old 11-19-2017, 06:37 PM

1,054 posts, read 922,513 times
Technology is going to fix this.

Automated cars, which "link up" on expressways will be here within 10-15 years in a "platoon" system.

The convenience and comfort of a car with the efficiency of mass transit. Best of both worlds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta