Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2017, 02:10 PM

4 posts, read 2,513 times

Advertisements

Hello Friends,

I am looking to inquire information regarding the City of McDonough.

My wife has accepted a job within city limits while our oldest child has accepted a job in neighboring Clayton County. We are relocating from North Forsyth County but our young family is still fairly new to Georgia as we relocated from Florida four years ago. As we are still learning, some parts of Georgia can still has “issues” with diversity, although we are all natural-born citizens, we come from Hispanic descent and would not like to relocate to an “unwanted” area. Either way, here are some basic information about what we are looking for.

Neighborhood: Any recommendations
Housing: We would like to purchase at least a 4 bedroom home (150K-220K)
School: VERY IMPORTANT, schools have to be safe and preferably highly rated within the state
Amenities: Big box grocery stores, shopping malls, and restaurants
Other: Parks with trails or any sort of outdoor family activity
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 04:18 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,511,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george1981 View Post
Hello Friends,

I am looking to inquire information regarding the City of McDonough.

My wife has accepted a job within city limits while our oldest child has accepted a job in neighboring Clayton County. We are relocating from North Forsyth County but our young family is still fairly new to Georgia as we relocated from Florida four years ago. As we are still learning, some parts of Georgia can still has “issues” with diversity, although we are all natural-born citizens, we come from Hispanic descent and would not like to relocate to an “unwanted” area. Either way, here are some basic information about what we are looking for.

Neighborhood: Any recommendations
Housing: We would like to purchase at least a 4 bedroom home (150K-220K)
School: VERY IMPORTANT, schools have to be safe and preferably highly rated within the state
Amenities: Big box grocery stores, shopping malls, and restaurants
Other: Parks with trails or any sort of outdoor family activity
The clusters of schools anchored by Union Grove and Ola high schools are the best and highest-rated areas of schools in Henry County.

Woodland High School is rated slightly above-average while the schools throughout much of the rest of the county are middle-of-the-road in their rankings and quality and seemed to have slightly declined in quality over the last few years.

Much (if not most) of Henry County (which has just recently become a county where non-Hispanic whites now make up a minority of the county's population) has much more of a heavy minority presence than an area like North Forsyth County... Though that increasingly heavy minority presence will be overwhelmingly black and modestly Hispanic.

Big-box grocery stores, shopping areas and restaurants will be found in abundance through the heart of the county along the extremely busy I-75 corridor at Exit 228 (GA 138), Exit 224 (Hudson Bridge Road/Eagles Landing Parkway), Exit 221 (Jonesboro Road), Exit 218 (GA 20-81) and Exit 212 (Bill Gardner Parkway/Locust Grove).

Old 12-26-2017, 05:23 PM

761 posts, read 908,320 times
If you want the best schools on the southside, you may want to consider Fayette County. The closest district to McDonough is probably the Whitewater attendance area (about 30-40 minutes away from McDonough), but even the McIntosh (5th highest average SAT scores in the state) and Starr's Mill districts are still within 45 minutes of McDonough and are some of the highest rated in the state. I know several people that commute to McDonough from Fayette County due to the higher rated schools. Also, Fayette is adjacent to Clayton and would offer a similar commute as McDonough to Clayton County.

As for Henry, the highest rated districts would be Union Grove and Ola districts. The other cluster don't rate very highly on standardized tests, and tend to have a high percentage of free and reduced lunch students.

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/d...20/search.aspx

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/d...30/search.aspx

http://thecitizen.com/2017/10/11/mci...ia-sat-scores/

Old 12-26-2017, 05:48 PM

11,834 posts, read 8,027,753 times
Also wanting to note for a 4 BR home you're probably going to be closer to $220k. Maybe less is possible, maybe - not 100% sure but its going to be pretty tight.

Diversity is found in McDonough and Stockbridge to a fair decree, but most of it is in the northern suburbs like Sandy Springs, Roswell, Alpharetta, Duluth, Suwannee, Lawrenceville, and Buford.

Old 12-27-2017, 07:10 AM

Born 2 Roll,

Thanks for the information, now I can start planning a trip down to Henry County. We really loved North Forsyth, clean areas and nice people but with the expansion of Hwy 400, the traffic has become horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
The clusters of schools anchored by Union Grove and Ola high schools are the best and highest-rated areas of schools in Henry County.

Woodland High School is rated slightly above-average while the schools throughout much of the rest of the county are middle-of-the-road in their rankings and quality and seemed to have slightly declined in quality over the last few years.

Much (if not most) of Henry County (which has just recently become a county where non-Hispanic whites now make up a minority of the county's population) has much more of a heavy minority presence than an area like North Forsyth County... Though that increasingly heavy minority presence will be overwhelmingly black and modestly Hispanic.

Big-box grocery stores, shopping areas and restaurants will be found in abundance through the heart of the county along the extremely busy I-75 corridor at Exit 228 (GA 138), Exit 224 (Hudson Bridge Road/Eagles Landing Parkway), Exit 221 (Jonesboro Road), Exit 218 (GA 20-81) and Exit 212 (Bill Gardner Parkway/Locust Grove).

Old 12-27-2017, 07:14 AM

Thanks for the information Need4Camaro lol, nice name.

I did a little a research and the market is not that high at this moment so hopefully it will remain this way for a while. I'm very familiar with the northern suburbs and out of 7 you named below, Lawrenceville is the worst, just not my cup of tea.

Old 12-27-2017, 09:29 AM

11,834 posts, read 8,027,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by george1981 View Post
Thanks for the information Need4Camaro lol, nice name.

I did a little a research and the market is not that high at this moment so hopefully it will remain this way for a while. I'm very familiar with the northern suburbs and out of 7 you named below, Lawrenceville is the worst, just not my cup of tea.
Hehe, Lawrenceville is actually one of my favorite practical suburbs in the metro. But to each their own.

I used to live in McDonough, down off of SR 81 near Racetrack Rd, this was WAY before they had the express lanes and it was absolutely no fun commuting from there. If I didn't ever have to leave McDonough / Stockbridge area I'd have no issues with it but now it just wouldn't work well for me because most of my jobs have been in the northern suburbs even when I lived down in McDonough (was commuting to Alpharetta... THAT ...is no fun.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta