Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2018, 05:04 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That goes without saying, but you obviously have to understand the purpose and history of such establishments before declaring "What's the point?"
I didn't ask what the point was; I know Atlanta's gay bars have been around for ages and I know why they were useful for a time. When I first came out, living back in Alabama, gay bars were useful there, too. But in the current day and age, yes, it is true that my generation does not see the need for gay bars to the same degree that previous ones did. That was actually my entire point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's necessarily fair to call a white person racist because they don't want to go to Bulldogs.
Nobody called anyone racist because they didn't want to go to Bulldogs. They called them racist because they said black gay men, as a monolithic stereotyped group, are "aggressive."

Old 01-25-2018, 05:18 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
What makes you think that? Is there any particular reason to believe this? It's a lot less believable than the more straightforward explanation that these are his views and he's not some straight guy who just happens to own a gay bar. Some people may think there's an obvious connection between a pro-black and a pro-gay worldview, but it really isn't so for most average people. In reality, the views that gays have about race tend to run the same gamut as the views of straight people.
Uh, because I know him. Do you?

Old 01-25-2018, 05:30 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,433,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Uh, because I know him. Do you?
Well, okay... but in the post I quoted, your tone was speculative. That's why I actually asked whether your claim was based on any specific information besides the obvious.

Old 01-25-2018, 05:45 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Well, okay... but in the post I quoted, your tone was speculative. That's why I actually asked whether your claim was based on any specific information besides the obvious.
Well, it was. So you can simmer down now.
Much Ado About Nothing.

Old 01-25-2018, 08:46 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times
This story is not shocking. I have been to Burkharts and been mistreated before. They tried to stop me from going inside after showing me a blurry picture of a black guy that they kicked out and tried to accuse me of looking like him so they told me I wasn’t allowed to come into the club. After arguing with the door guy for ten minutes the manager came out and realized that I wasn’t that same guy and then they let me in. I was pissed because the picture of the guy they showed was so low quality and you couldn’t even tell what the guy looked like yet they said it was me. That was like 6 months ago and I have never been back.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:16 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,366,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
You think it's any better elsewhere?
I have had better experiences in NY (not to say that I'd move back there). Not saying racism doesn't exist up there because it absolutely does. There are also other reasons for me wanting to leave. For now, I will just have to continue to adapt.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I understand what you're saying, but I don't think it's necessarily fair to call a white person racist because they don't want to go to Bulldogs.
You are mistaken. It is illogical for me to believe you truly understand what I said because of what you have written. The guy had never been to the club before. His not wanting to go was based on racist ideology that black men are aggressive.

I just re-read other posts you made. You do understand and are choosing to ignore. You are choosing to justify the racism.

Last edited by DreamerD; 01-26-2018 at 10:34 AM..

Old 01-26-2018, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
Let's be clear, have gays in the White and Black community, really ever been together in Atlanta. No! Hence, the two Gay pride events. And while some white heterosexuals, don't date outside of their race. I would even say prejudices is even more evident in the homosexual community in Atlanta and other major cities that stick with dating exclusively white, latino, asian, excluding blacks as a choice. It's so time out on a pretend to be together on legislation, but in day to day life, its the exact opposite. However, the prejudices are even more real for both straight and gay blacks. Some in my race still perceive light skin as better and equate dark skin with being ugly. Sort of hard to scream racism, when it is so prevalent in your own race. I totally respect preference, but it has gone from preference to degradation. Everyone should start with a perspective that the person is human, regardless of your personal likes.
I really enjoyed reading your post. That first bolded statement really resonates with me. You put what was in my head into words. Thanks!

As for your second, that's why I mentioned what I did about the whole exotic thing and people othering me. I was told by a few people who are black that I look international. I felt embarrassed that they said such a thing and I was quite shocked. When I was in NY, a lot of people there look like me and so if they were said to have an international look, they would laugh at you or say this is the U.S. This is what the U.S. looks like.

And with regards to the light skin versus dark skin, it's very real. I can't compare the whole light skin dark skin to other major cities but growing here and hearing that I shouldn't date a female who is dark skin because she is really dark was hard for me to hear. It sounded like racism but coming from a male who is black? It took me a while to understand that yeah, you are seeing racism among black people. I heard this girl one time refer to this guy as tar face. I was like ****! Really?! And it's not just hate against darker skin because darker-skinned people do hate on light-skinned too. I really do try to help black people because that love needs to be spread. It's crazy how much black people hurt each other.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
This story is not shocking. I have been to Burkharts and been mistreated before. They tried to stop me from going inside after showing me a blurry picture of a black guy that they kicked out and tried to accuse me of looking like him so they told me I wasn’t allowed to come into the club. After arguing with the door guy for ten minutes the manager came out and realized that I wasn’t that same guy and then they let me in. I was pissed because the picture of the guy they showed was so low quality and you couldn’t even tell what the guy looked like yet they said it was me. That was like 6 months ago and I have never been back.
Good! That's what a wise consumer/activist ought to do.

Old 01-26-2018, 10:57 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
You are choosing to justify the racism.
I'm not justifying racism. I'm justifying sexual preference.

If someone is not attracted to AA men, why would you drag him into Bulldogs? Just like if a man only likes women with brown hair, it's understandable he wouldn't want to go into a bar that only has women with blonde hair.

Bulldogs is pretty much a 100% black bar, at least most of the time, is it not?

What I'm doing is reading between the lines. I know your friends says he thought black men are too aggressive, but I bet he is just not attracted to them and didn't want to say that fearing it would appear racist. I don't feel it is racist to have sexual preferences that favor one race over another. Maybe some people think it is.

Bulldogs and Burkhardts are both disgusting. I have no problem being judged for holding those opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: