Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 08:57 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,251,681 times

Advertisements

DeKalb store closures are evidence of a nationwide trend

Sam’s Club is just the latest big box retailer to shutter in Stonecrest. At the mall across the street, both Sears and Kohl’s are gone. Last month, it was announced that a Babies “R” Us in the area would close. A Target closed in 2014. Elsewhere in south DeKalb, Publix, Walmart Neighborhood Market and Kroger have shut their doors.

“We see the issue, and the issue is not south DeKalb,” Johnson said. “The issue is e-commerce and retail.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 09:31 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,291,481 times
I have read about Kroger and Publix closing stores or in the process of closing stores. I doubt online competition would accept full responsibility. Affected stores are in areas that have become or will become grocery deserts.

Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,888,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post

Sam’s Club is just the latest big box retailer to shutter in Stonecrest. At the mall across the street, both Sears and Kohl’s are gone. Last month, it was announced that a Babies “R” Us in the area would close. A Target closed in 2014. Elsewhere in south DeKalb, Publix, Walmart Neighborhood Market and Kroger have shut their doors.

“We see the issue, and the issue is not south DeKalb,” Johnson said. “The issue is e-commerce and retail.”
Then why are national chains still opening new stores in all these mixed-use, more urban designed developments?

Old 02-12-2018, 12:01 PM

847 posts, read 1,458,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhtrico1850 View Post

Online shopping would explain why stores like Target, Kohl's, and the like are suffering. The grocery stores seems like a different issue entirely. That is not just a South DeKalb thing since I have seen a few grocery stores in other areas close as well. It seems that Kroger and Publix are closing stores when there is another store within close proximity. My guess would be that the underperforming stores are being closed, but that could be misleading since I have rarely seen an empty Kroger or Publix anywhere in Metro Atlanta.

They closed the Kroger at Hwy 78 and Bethany Church Road in Gwinnett. However, that made sense due to the fact that there is another Kroger about 3 miles away at Hwy 124 and Everson Road. The closed Kroger that was at Rainbow Drive and Candler Road in DeKalb is a little over 3.5 miles away from the closest one at Flat Shoals Parkway and Flakes Mill Road. However, income and demographics are at play when you are talking about a person that may now have to catch a bus, a ride, or Uber to the grocery store when it was once just a decent walk away.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:59 PM

5,242 posts, read 6,243,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Then why are national chains still opening new stores in all these mixed-use, more urban designed developments?
Most, in not all of these are high end retail, so those customers aren't too concerned with saving a few potential bucks by shopping on Amazon. Only high end retailers can afford to put a store at PCM, Krog, Avalon, WSP, etc.

Also, clothing B&M stores aren't going away. Unless I have experience w/ a specific brand and fit, it's a bad idea to order online as I will almost certainly have to return it.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:10 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,715,885 times
The Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market on Covington Highway was just 4 years young. The Publix on Memorial Drive closed a couple years back as well.

The same area getting hit over and over. I guess, the incomes in the area have plummeted as well.

Last edited by PKCorey; 02-12-2018 at 04:23 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 04:22 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,406,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
The Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market on Covington Highway was just 4 years young. The Publix on Memorial Drive closed a couple years back as well.
Maybe they didn't meet their sales quotas?

Old 02-12-2018, 04:59 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,751,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Maybe they didn't meet their sales quotas?
Walmart closed nearly all of their neighborhood marts. There are Walmart stores that close only a year after opening without any thoughts toward the community affected. As for other grocery stores, Kroger seems to do business everywhere, regardless of income level. Publix seems to perfer higher income levels even if the stores themselves are doing good (Like the Lovejoy Publix). I'd honestly like to see more small neighborhood groceries ran by locals. East Atlanta seems like the perfect spot for one.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:28 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,715,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Walmart closed nearly all of their neighborhood marts. There are Walmart stores that close only a year after opening without any thoughts toward the community affected. As for other grocery stores, Kroger seems to do business everywhere, regardless of income level. Publix seems to perfer higher income levels even if the stores themselves are doing good (Like the Lovejoy Publix). I'd honestly like to see more small neighborhood groceries ran by locals. East Atlanta seems like the perfect spot for one.
That was Walmart Express not Walmart Neighborhood Market but they have closed about 3-4 in the metro area in the last couple years. 2 in Cobb, this one in Dekalb and I can't recall the other location at this point.

Old 02-13-2018, 06:41 AM

108 posts, read 81,447 times
I really think the Publix on Memorial Drive closing had something to do with the Walmart that opened down the street a few years ago. I believe Publix said it was due to declining sales, but I don't really buy that since there were always people there. Same with the Kroger on North Hairston that recently closed. Granted they were much closer in proximity to Walmart then the Publix was, but it was always a good number of shoppers in there despite Walmart being across the street.

It would suck not having any grocer around, but Walmart. I find myself disliking the company after they damn near bragged about paying their employees bonuses due to tax cuts ($1,000 for 20 years of service? Really?!), only to fire the employees of Sam's Club with no notice. Good ole' trickle down economics.

Anyway, I hope SE DeKalb can prosper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta