Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2018, 10:37 PM

116 posts, read 119,287 times

Advertisements

DNR: Uh, dude, that's a cocker spaniel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2018, 11:18 AM

8,057 posts, read 12,863,348 times
I grew up in rural Georgia hunting culture. I was the odd kid out as I was not interested. But hunters are the ones that will be the most interested in this and I do not worry that they will be shooting German Shepherds. They know their stuff. I don't see suburbanites shooting up the neighborhoods as a primary worry.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Ooooooooh...the East Cobbettes, the Dunwoody Housewives, the Buckhead Betties, the Alpharetta Gals, and the Eastside Atlanta Coalition for Organic Wild-grown Seaweed (EATLOWS) are gon' get you!

PETA will be picketing me now lol

Old 03-14-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
So are we. And we are much worse for the environment than coyotes.

And I tend to believe this guy:

The point is that coyotes pose absolutely no threat to us unless you leave your pets unattended outside, which you shouldn't do. If you have livestock, things might be a bit different...but then, just get a nice big dog that can protect the animals. Coyotes aren't that big, I would imagine they would back away from a scuffle with a large domestic farm dog.
There is an out of balance situation here. Cull them or bring in natural predators. Just read an article on how the reintroduction of wolves has affected the whole ecosystem of Yellowstone for the better... including reducing the out of control coyote population. Think that would work better for Georgia?

Here in Texas, donkeys are kept in pastures with smaller livestock (calves, sheep, goats) as they are bad ass (pun intended) with protecting herds against coyotes.

Old 03-14-2018, 11:35 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
We have friends in the neighborhood whose family cat was nabbed by one of these durn things a few years back. And the little kids were in the yard when it happened! That being said, our Rottweiler took one down when the coyote decided our spaniel pup was going to be dinner. The varmints haven't been back since then. Fortunately, our spaniel is now a big girl and the coyotes wouldn't stand a chance of ever catching her. In my opinion, the open license to kill these animals is deplorable. Yes, if they threaten children or family pets, I believe they should be killed, but to simply having folks out picking them off when they aren't causing trouble is going to be a bad idea. Some irresponsible gun nut job will wind up shooting someone...

Old 03-14-2018, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Now you are going to get me thinking about Old Yaller and getting all teary-eyed.

My concern is that I don't want a bunch of untrained yahoos shooting up the neighborhood. Why not try other wildlife management techniques?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
This... it's unbelievable the state would think of promoting something so idiotic as to let the public run amok with fire arms attempting to use deadly force for a prize - accident missing and possibly injuring someone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
I was thinking exactly the same thing—someone’s dog is going to get shot!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnsleyPark View Post
We have friends in the neighborhood whose family cat was nabbed by one of these durn things a few years back. And the little kids were in the yard when it happened! That being said, our Rottweiler took one down when the coyote decided our spaniel pup was going to be dinner. The varmints haven't been back since then. Fortunately, our spaniel is now a big girl and the coyotes wouldn't stand a chance of ever catching her. In my opinion, the open license to kill these animals is deplorable. Yes, if they threaten children or family pets, I believe they should be killed, but to simply having folks out picking them off when they aren't causing trouble is going to be a bad idea. Some irresponsible gun nut job will wind up shooting someone...
From the article:

Cummings added that residents should be aware of local firearm discharge laws before deciding to shoot a coyote that is a nuisance.

Old 03-14-2018, 12:40 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,298,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
This... it's unbelievable the state would think of promoting something so idiotic as to let the public run amok with fire arms attempting to use deadly force for a prize - accident missing and possibly injuring someone else.
Right, and then rewarding the most unhinged of these irresponsible clowns with lifetime hunting privileges. Who came up with this idiocy?

Old 03-14-2018, 12:42 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I grew up in rural Georgia hunting culture. I was the odd kid out as I was not interested. But hunters are the ones that will be the most interested in this and I do not worry that they will be shooting German Shepherds. They know their stuff. I don't see suburbanites shooting up the neighborhoods as a primary worry.
There are coyotes all over Reynoldstown. A neighborhood where random gunfire is still commonplace, despite gentrification. What do you think is going to happen when these people are given an incentive to kill?

Old 03-14-2018, 12:46 PM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post

Here in Texas, donkeys are kept in pastures with smaller livestock (calves, sheep, goats) as they are bad ass (pun intended) with protecting herds against coyotes.
I'm confident that the vast majority of my neighbors wold prefer to host a donkey or two in their yard rather than having marauding gangs of riflemen hunting coyotes in the neighborhood.

Old 03-14-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
There are coyotes all over Reynoldstown. A neighborhood where random gunfire is still commonplace, despite gentrification. What do you think is going to happen when these people are given an incentive to kill?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
I'm confident that the vast majority of my neighbors wold prefer to host a donkey or two in their yard rather than having marauding gangs of riflemen hunting coyotes in the neighborhood.
It's difficult but I will keep trying. The comments here are from city dwellers and suburbanites that don't get rural hunting culture. You guys are reading this and thinking that people unaccustomed to hunting and how to process a kill are going to actually take up the state's offer on this? Seriously?

At least the random gunfire in Reynoldstown will have a proper target rather than another human IF anyone decided to do this which I highly doubt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta