Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 05:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,391 times

Advertisements

i walked out of a conversation with my boss and went right back to work at my work station. Is this insubordination? i was terminated because of this and may have been denied unemployment benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 05:13 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Georgia is an at-will employmemt state. Technically, you can be fired for any reason (not considered a protective class) at any time. But luckily for your former boss and company, you gave them the documentatiom they needed to defend themselves in any possible lawsuit / legal battle you bring forth.

Old 08-31-2018, 09:22 PM

2,530 posts, read 4,771,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wateva1 View Post
i walked out of a conversation with my boss and went right back to work at my work station. Is this insubordination? i was terminated because of this and may have been denied unemployment benefits.
Insubordination will not necessarily deny unemployment benefits. File for your benefits and IF your employer disputes your claim you will have an opportunity to defend yourself. Often the employer won't dispute and even if they do, the Unemployment Office makes the final determination.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:29 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,320,241 times
Insubordination? That's a thing? Good Lord, people sure love their power trips. Any workplace that would demand subordination or threaten termination is not somewhere I would work.

Old 08-31-2018, 10:48 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Insubordination? That's a thing? Good Lord, people sure love their power trips. Any workplace that would demand subordination or threaten termination is not somewhere I would work.
But not everyone has that luxury. I think most of us remember a time in our lives where we "needed" our job and were forced to play the game. Thankfully that time has passed for many of us...

OP, as mentioned "at-will" state. Probably best to call it a lesson learned and move along. Luckily the economy is booming so you should be able to find another gig. Good Luck!

Last edited by flamadiddle; 08-31-2018 at 11:38 PM..

Old 08-31-2018, 11:28 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Well, that kind of depends. When I was managing people and if I gave them a task and they refused to do it multiple times, they'd be let go. Why on earth would I keep someone around who refuses to do his job?

Old 09-01-2018, 06:25 AM

654 posts, read 526,729 times
At will employment isn't really the OPs question. At will just means you can be let go at anytime, it doesn't have anything to do with unemployment benefits.

OP - sorry but you are in a tough spot. As much as you probably hated you boss you kinda have to listen to them. Unless they were harassing you, you cannot really just ignore them.

Old 09-01-2018, 06:36 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTCM View Post
At will employment isn't really the OPs question. At will just means you can be let go at anytime, it doesn't have anything to do with unemployment benefits.
Actually, it kind of does.

You can only claim unemployment benefits when you're let go through no fault of your own. In this case, the OP was terminated for cause (insubordination), which under the guise of at-will employment, is perfectly legal.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:09 AM

10,743 posts, read 13,377,694 times
Consider it a life lesson.

Old 09-01-2018, 08:14 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,475,985 times
Another thought, don't know how long you worked there, but it's never a good idea to burn a bridge. Not saying you burned it intentionally, but it's now a smoldering mess. I've burned a few in my past and looking back, it was never a good idea. Where it's going to cause a problem is when your next employer asks why you left your last position and/or if they can call them for a reference. Might be worth writing a letter (or email) to your old boss (cc your HR contact) maybe explaining that you were going through some personal issues at the time and that you were in the wrong and learned an important life lesson from the incident. Wish them the best in the future, yada, yada. Don't go overboard, keep it short and sweet.

Maybe, just maybe you'll get a favorable reference from them, if ever needed.

Also, get cranking on those resumes! You should be on a mission to get another job asap.

Best of luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta