Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2018, 09:50 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,388,252 times

Advertisements

There was a time when Tarsheen Peters was once married to the streets.

For decades, the Gwinnett County resident considered himself a Crips boss from California – and back in the day, Peters even flaunted his gang-banger and pimp status on National TV.

"I am the boss! I am the boss of 15-hundred Crips! You understand me," Peters once bragged. "I'm deep in the gang. I'm deep. I'm deep. I'm married to the streets, I'm married to the dope, I'm married to the prostitutes. I'm married to the gangers."

Special Agent James B. Hurley with the Atlanta FBI office said the city has witnessed a high growth of gang activity in the past five years, becoming a magnet for national gang members.

"We've seen gangs come in from the west coast, the east coast, Chicago," Hurley listed.
Why Atlanta? Hurley said it was basically a power vacuum – ripe for new gangs..."

FULL STORY/SOURCE: https://www.11alive.com/article/news...t/85-598135779
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 10:01 PM

9,007 posts, read 14,089,673 times
Pfffttt.....

Whatever.

When I was growing up in Birmingham, there was media hype that the Disciples gang had moved in and was taking over the city. Before that, it was Satanists.

There always has to be a boogeyman.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:23 AM

4,845 posts, read 6,121,817 times
Terrible as this isn't remotely new, this didn't start 5 years but a least since the 80's, A lot of major gangs that started in LA, Chicago, Detroit, New York and etc in the 70's. not only spread national cities decades ago, but internationally seriously there Crips in Alaska and Australia. Also the article is miss leading it present that gangs are "now" targeting children for recruitment as if this isn't something they have always done.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be alarmed I'm saying this old news and Atlanta isn't unique to this these gangs been in every major US city and many international cities for decades. They largely control the Drugs trade and other illegal black market stuff. If your alarm you should been alarm decades ago, if you wasn't thinking about this yesterday nothing has change since yesterday. I'm not saying people should be use to crime either but rather it's as common as crime already, and it's something you should already knew.

I bring this up because I can already imagine posters using this to exaggerate that Atlanta is special or create hysteria like there a new high infestation of gangs. So if posters are going talk about preventing gangs and safety is should be a national issue and not something specific to Atlanta. because this isn't a new Atlanta issue but rather an old national issue.

And to me the highlight was that guy turning his life around, a lot more of that is needed. Rather then trying to exaggerate something old as new which is hugely misleading, I don't know if they did that for the headline oe what? but it's would been more productive to skip that and just talk about gang prevention.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:21 AM

32,035 posts, read 36,882,537 times
One thing we don't need in the ATL is more gang influence. There's no way that will help us with Amazon.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:42 AM

8,300 posts, read 5,738,090 times
What big city doesn't have gang problems?

Old 09-26-2018, 07:44 AM

2,390 posts, read 4,412,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Pfffttt.....

Whatever.

When I was growing up in Birmingham, there was media hype that the Disciples gang had moved in and was taking over the city. Before that, it was Satanists.

There always has to be a boogeyman.
Well I can tell you for sure it's definitely becoming a major deal in LaGrange. No clue how, but a bunch of Gangster disciples from Chicago showed up there and have been causing problems for the past year or so. Used to be one, maybe two murders a year and they would almost always be something domestic related. Not anymore. Also Birmingham DOES have a gang problem lol. I lived there for 2 years and West End, Fairfield, Ensley and Bessemer were infested with gangs. It wasn't one of the most dangerous cities in the US all those years for nothing.

Old 09-26-2018, 07:59 AM

4,768 posts, read 5,460,121 times
The only solutions is for Fathers to return home. I think everyone knows that it’s no mystery that most gang members are looking for affirmation.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:02 AM

651 posts, read 478,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
The only solutions is to end the war on drugs.
Fixed.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:05 AM

6,609 posts, read 12,109,336 times
Hopefully Kemp will build a wall around Georgia to keep the gangs from coming in. It's not just those from south of the American border. We don't need a physical wall, but set up border check points at the state line and passport control at the HJIA Airport. Anyone with a criminal background gets denied entry into the great state of Georgia.

Old 09-26-2018, 10:52 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,493,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Well I can tell you for sure it's definitely becoming a major deal in LaGrange. No clue how, but a bunch of Gangster disciples from Chicago showed up there and have been causing problems for the past year or so. Used to be one, maybe two murders a year and they would almost always be something domestic related. Not anymore. Also Birmingham DOES have a gang problem lol. I lived there for 2 years and West End, Fairfield, Ensley and Bessemer were infested with gangs. It wasn't one of the most dangerous cities in the US all those years for nothing.
No, Birmingham doesn't. I grew up there myself. There hasn't been a widespread gang problem there since the late 1990s. Its "most dangerous cities" title comes from the number of crimes per capita from the fact that the city population is relatively small compared to most other Southern cities anchoring similar sized metro with similar crime problems. If it was a metro government like other peer cities like Nashville, Louisville, Jacksonville, etc, it wouldn't even be in the top 20 for dangerous cities. NOLA is the only Southern city on that list that truly just dangerous regardless of its size.

Last edited by jero23; 09-26-2018 at 12:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta