Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:21 AM

9,829 posts, read 7,289,643 times

Advertisements

End the War on Drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 11:31 AM

847 posts, read 1,460,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Terrible as this isn't remotely new, this didn't start 5 years but a least since the 80's, A lot of major gangs that started in LA, Chicago, Detroit, New York and etc in the 70's. not only spread national cities decades ago, but internationally seriously there Crips in Alaska and Australia. Also the article is miss leading it present that gangs are "now" targeting children for recruitment as if this isn't something they have always done.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be alarmed I'm saying this old news and Atlanta isn't unique to this these gangs been in every major US city and many international cities for decades. They largely control the Drugs trade and other illegal black market stuff. If your alarm you should been alarm decades ago, if you wasn't thinking about this yesterday nothing has change since yesterday. I'm not saying people should be use to crime either but rather it's as common as crime already, and it's something you should already knew.

I bring this up because I can already imagine posters using this to exaggerate that Atlanta is special or create hysteria like there a new high infestation of gangs. So if posters are going talk about preventing gangs and safety is should be a national issue and not something specific to Atlanta. because this isn't a new Atlanta issue but rather an old national issue.

And to me the highlight was that guy turning his life around, a lot more of that is needed. Rather then trying to exaggerate something old as new which is hugely misleading, I don't know if they did that for the headline oe what? but it's would been more productive to skip that and just talk about gang prevention.
As a native of the Los Angeles area, I literally laughed out loud when I heard them on 11 Alive last night. It is not that gangs are not present, it is just an old issue as you stated. I even remember when people were up in arms about the "gang problem" in Gwinnett about 15-20 years ago.

Gangs from the West Coast and up north have been in the Atlanta area for years. Gangs have always targeted children just as they did when I was growing up. However, just as my parents did when I was a child, you have to educate your children on what to look out for and how to avoid as much bs as possible.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:14 PM

37,904 posts, read 42,090,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
Hopefully Kemp will build a wall around Georgia to keep the gangs from coming in. It's not just those from south of the American border. We don't need a physical wall, but set up border check points at the state line and passport control at the HJIA Airport. Anyone with a criminal background gets denied entry into the great state of Georgia.
That's not how it works.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:32 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,734,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's not how it works.
I'm pretty sure that entire post was sarcasm, in an attempt to both poke fun at the dramatic reactions to the issue as well as Kemp's clownish antics.

Old 09-26-2018, 09:10 PM

119 posts, read 182,142 times
This is just the local news trying to "stir-up" ratings and people's emotions by exaggerating problems, similar to what Trump does with his tweets.

Crime has been declining in Atlanta for over 20 years (I remember when they were 8 housing projects in the city of Atlanta that were REAL crime magnets - but they all were torn down for the Olympics).

Now the city has gentrified. High-income professionals have moved in and crime is WAY down. BUT from the local news, you would think crime is worse than ever...

Old 09-27-2018, 09:50 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,412,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jero23 View Post
No, Birmingham doesn't. I grew up there myself. There hasn't been a widespread gang problem there since the late 1990s. Its "most dangerous cities" title comes from the number of crimes per capita from the fact that the city population is relatively small compared to most other Southern cities anchoring similar sized metro with similar crime problems. If it was a metro government like other peer cities like Nashville, Louisville, Jacksonville, etc, it wouldn't even be in the top 20 for dangerous cities. NOLA is the only Southern city on that list that truly just dangerous regardless of its size.
Man please lol. Gangs were definitely a problem in the parts of the city that I mentioned. You must've lived in Vestavia Hills or something. I lived in Bessemer and saw it firsthand before I moved the hell out of there. And this was definitely after the 90's.

Old 09-27-2018, 09:59 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,085,095 times
Quote:
I lived in Bessemer
Why in the world would you live there? No wonder you hated it.

Old 09-28-2018, 08:43 AM

2,580 posts, read 2,492,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Man please lol. Gangs were definitely a problem in the parts of the city that I mentioned. You must've lived in Vestavia Hills or something. I lived in Bessemer and saw it firsthand before I moved the hell out of there. And this was definitely after the 90's.
Dude, I resided in Central Park, Princeton, Bessemer, East Lake, Fairfield, and Southside so you can save it for fools. I moved away in 2011, so I don't know what you saw but it was not gangs...

Old 09-28-2018, 06:03 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,377,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Pfffttt.....

Whatever.

When I was growing up in Birmingham, there was media hype that the Disciples gang had moved in and was taking over the city. Before that, it was Satanists.

There always has to be a boogeyman.

Exactly! That's how our society works. We always have to have an enemy and there must always be a group that's bad versus the good people in the group. If it's not gangs today, it'll be black people tomorrow. If not black people, then Hispanics.

Old 09-28-2018, 06:06 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,377,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Terrible as this isn't remotely new, this didn't start 5 years but a least since the 80's, A lot of major gangs that started in LA, Chicago, Detroit, New York and etc in the 70's. not only spread national cities decades ago, but internationally seriously there Crips in Alaska and Australia. Also the article is miss leading it present that gangs are "now" targeting children for recruitment as if this isn't something they have always done.

I'm not saying people shouldn't be alarmed I'm saying this old news and Atlanta isn't unique to this these gangs been in every major US city and many international cities for decades. They largely control the Drugs trade and other illegal black market stuff. If your alarm you should been alarm decades ago, if you wasn't thinking about this yesterday nothing has change since yesterday. I'm not saying people should be use to crime either but rather it's as common as crime already, and it's something you should already knew.

I bring this up because I can already imagine posters using this to exaggerate that Atlanta is special or create hysteria like there a new high infestation of gangs. So if posters are going talk about preventing gangs and safety is should be a national issue and not something specific to Atlanta. because this isn't a new Atlanta issue but rather an old national issue.

And to me the highlight was that guy turning his life around, a lot more of that is needed. Rather then trying to exaggerate something old as new which is hugely misleading, I don't know if they did that for the headline oe what? but it's would been more productive to skip that and just talk about gang prevention.

This is the reason I don't watch the news. The amount of bias, racism, and flat out lies. It's very brainwashing. You're right...not an Atlanta issue and not a new issue.

Yes, the news likes to keep things pretty negative. I remember being in another country and watching the news and I immediately noticed a huge difference. It was a breath of relief to watch their news versus ours. You'd think nothing good is happening in Atlanta/the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta