Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2019, 06:32 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times

Advertisements

Meanwhile, Georgia ranks #3 amongst all states (behind California and Connecticut).

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/3/14...essive-drivers

TOP 10 CITIES WITH THE MOST AGGRESSIVE DRIVERS

Los Angeles
Philadelphia
Sacramento, Calif.
Atlanta
San Francisco
San Diego
Orlando, Fla.
Detroit
Austin, Texas
Las Vegas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2019, 07:37 PM

11,779 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
Meanwhile, Georgia ranks #3 amongst all states (behind California and Connecticut).

https://atlanta.curbed.com/2019/3/14...essive-drivers

TOP 10 CITIES WITH THE MOST AGGRESSIVE DRIVERS

Los Angeles
Philadelphia
Sacramento, Calif.
Atlanta
San Francisco
San Diego
Orlando, Fla.
Detroit
Austin, Texas
Las Vegas
Sorry but I dont buy this at all.

If you want to see some crazy driving, go to Houston or DFW. I drive a 455 HP car and frequently in either of those cities I'm being tailgated while doing 85 - 90 MPH or getting passed like I'm not even moving at nearly 100... and I'm literally only doing that to keep up with the flow of traffic in those areas.

Atlanta does have some fairly aggressive drivers, but you ain't seen nothing till you drive in Texas where speed limits are merely a suggestion. (and technically by law Speed limits here can even be ignored altogether if they are deemed to be unreasonable or unsafe in comparison to the general flow of traffic)

Los Angeles I didn't stay long enough to comment on their driving but I found them to be tamer than Atlantans for the short time I was there...the only thing that I really had to watch out for was Lane Splitting (motorcycles riding between cars to skip traffic or pass...legal in California)

Just about anyplace in the Northeast, or Chicago... way more aggressive than Atlanta.

Old 03-16-2019, 07:50 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

If you want to see some crazy driving, go to Houston or DFW. I drive a 455 HP car and frequently in either of those cities I'm being tailgated while doing 85 - 90 MPH or getting passed like I'm not even moving at nearly 100... and I'm literally only doing that to keep up with the flow of traffic in those areas.

Atlanta does have some fairly aggressive drivers, but you ain't seen nothing till you drive in Texas where speed limits are merely a suggestion. (and technically by law Speed limits here can even be ignored altogether if they are deemed to be unreasonable or unsafe in comparison to the general flow of traffic)

Los Angeles I didn't stay long enough to comment on their driving but I found them to be tamer than Atlantans for the short time I was there...the only thing that I really had to watch out for was Lane Splitting (motorcycles riding between cars to skip traffic or pass...legal in California)

Just about anyplace in the Northeast, or Chicago... way more aggressive than Atlanta.
Yeah...Atlanta has some bad drivers, and even some rude ones, but I don't find driving here to be nearly as aggressive as some places up north. Was not shocked to see Philadelphia on the list...people there are just plain mean behind the wheel. And down in Florida, I feel like a snail.

As for LA, I came back from there after a 6-week work assignment thinking "Damn, driving here is SO much more pleasant than back in Atlanta! No one blocks intersections. No one cuts you off."

Old 03-16-2019, 07:53 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,484,116 times
Totally disagree with this. Quite the contrary, Atlanta has some of the most courteous drivers. People here go out of their way to let people in and with so many transplants I have witnesses a lot of patience with other drivers. Also agree that intersections aren't blocked for the most part.

As with any "survey", they are designed to sell the newspapers and media outlets that they appear in and this one is no different.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:17 PM
bu2

24,070 posts, read 14,866,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post

All depends on how you measure it. Atlanta has some of the most aggressive drivers imaginable. They will tailgate you doing 90 when most of the traffic is doing 50 and squeeze around you with an inch to spare. But there aren't very many of them. Houston's aggressive drivers tend not to be as nuts as Atlanta's most aggressive, but there are more of them. And most people in Atlanta are so far the opposite of aggressive, they can be dangerous.

In New Orleans, they are ALL aggressive. Same with New York City.

Old 03-16-2019, 08:42 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,695,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beretta View Post
Totally disagree with this. Quite the contrary, Atlanta has some of the most courteous drivers. People here go out of their way to let people in and with so many transplants I have witnesses a lot of patience with other drivers. Also agree that intersections aren't blocked for the most part.

As with any "survey", they are designed to sell the newspapers and media outlets that they appear in and this one is no different.
I agree with this. We have lots of fast drivers, mostly due to lack of speed limit enforcement, but not agressive.

If anything, I always witness patient and courteous drivers, who all seem to have a "let's work together" as we drive these crazy roads type of attitude. People letting others in, leaving gaps so others can pull out, etc.

Old 03-16-2019, 10:03 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,931,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
All depends on how you measure it. Atlanta has some of the most aggressive drivers imaginable. They will tailgate you doing 90 when most of the traffic is doing 50 and squeeze around you with an inch to spare. But there aren't very many of them. Houston's aggressive drivers tend not to be as nuts as Atlanta's most aggressive, but there are more of them. And most people in Atlanta are so far the opposite of aggressive, they can be dangerous.

In New Orleans, they are ALL aggressive. Same with New York City.
Since leaving Houston for DFW, I realized that Houston drivers aren't that bad. They are aggressive and very fast, but they seem to know what they're doing. DFW drivers can not drive. I am constantly dealing with people sitting in the left two lanes going below the speed limit. People cutting me off cause they likely didn't even see me. People turning out in front of me, etc. My car insurance jumped up when I moved and now I know why. Didn't take long, one month and I got rear ended. Just today I had 3 close calls. I can't remember having so many close calls in Houston or Atlanta for that matter.

Also seems to be a greater spread in car speeds. In Houston it seemed like most people were doing from around 65 on the low end but in the right lanes to near 75 in the left lanes with the 80+ sticking to the left lane. Here I have people doing 55-60 in any lane with most doing right at 70. Then randomly there will be people doing 80+ weaving in and out. At least in Houston people seem to better observe left lane=fast lane.

Old 03-17-2019, 12:21 AM

105 posts, read 353,386 times
Remember, the first person to leave work everyday in Atlanta is obliged to go and find the most inconvenient place possible and cause a spectacular accident with a truck full of poultry or something. Many people on I-285, I-75, I-85, and 400 compete for this honor. The secret to reducing driving stress in Atlanta is to know your back roads, keep up with construction projects, and do things as off-peak as you dare.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:27 AM

617 posts, read 551,568 times
In the 5 years or so I have lived here, I have noticed drivers are becoming more and more aggressive. They do speed like crazy here. I mean, I have never seen people drive so fast, you can literally will be doing 80 and folks will pass you like you are doing 45. And it's not just one or two drivers, whole streams of cars going crazy fast seems common here, but it makes sense as Cops don't enforce speed limits here, or very seldom they do. Speeding isn't the issue to me though, it is the tail-gating that occurs here. Folks will tailgate you (even in the right lane) when all they have to do is move over to one of the other lanes. Also since living here, I have noticed people honk a lot more especially in the City of Atlanta. They honk it seems for any reason which is common in bigger cities, but seems like it is occurring here more now too. Comes with the increased population I assume.

I can believe Atlanta being in the top 10, and with the continued growth here, it is no wonder drivers are becoming more aggressive. More people =More congestion= more aggressive drivers. Go figure.

Old 03-17-2019, 06:51 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,698,085 times
I think what makes driving around Atlanta difficult is that there's not one dominant type of driving style here.

Places like Detroit with very little in the way of a transient population are pretty straight forward as far as how to handle the other drivers on the road (I.E. just drive faster).

Conversely, in a city of transplants like Atlanta, you essentially have a hodge podge of people here from different regions who are accustomed to driving their own way from back in their native towns.

You have a ton of hard breakers/rapid accelerators who hail from NYC/Philadelphia, a ton of speed demons who hail from Chicago/Detroit, and then a ton of native southerners from Alabama and rural Georgia who act as though they're driving miss daisy.

Needless to say, the aforementioned combination of drivers makes for a gigantic mess on Atlanta's and Georgia's roadways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta