Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2018, 03:18 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,713,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RorMc View Post
Not exactly true, look at Amazon. It has the customer at their core and rather than return money to shareholders, plowed it back into the business and new, peripheral, businesses. Unfortunately if every new business does the same as Amazon, the tax base will be shifted from corporations to individuals, a digression.
Using a company that's notorious for abusing its employees as an example fot your argument (versus Delta, which treats its employees *VERY* well) is probabaly not the best idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 04:54 PM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
Its been trending upwards because we came out of the depression. They carried many policies out of that period forward at the detriment of their customers. Its continual climb comes at the expense of its customers which it nickels and dimes at every corner.

1. That'll be $200 to change your flight. Why? Because we figured out this amazing source of revenue of just taking your money for services not rendered. Don't forget fare difference for a fare that has increased 1000% since you booked!

2. That'll be $30 for your bag. Why? Because we enacted this during the downturn to create a new revenue stream to help us make it out alive. When we were profitable again we just decided to keep it for our shareholders. Lets make everyone have to cram all their crap in an overhead bin....it'll be great!!

3. The airline continues to re-trade its value of a SkyMile in its favor for travel. CEO has recently said he'd like to make the SkyMile an unappealing option and have people pay for their seats.

https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea...award-pricing/

Delta is a borderline monopoly. They absolutely have a monopoly on certain routes and price gouge in those instances. "its supply/demand"....when the flight is never full, no its not.
I hate all of the manufactured crises from all the carry-ons, the chaos at the gate from the lane separator that "rewards" those buying-in to these baseless fee structures to move out of the middle seat.

All of today's unpleasantness in air travel emanates from supporting these new fees, and most could be eliminated tomorrow by ending the checked bag fee.

NOW WHAT'S GOOD ABOUT ALL OF THE FEES:

1) I believe airlines so totally adopted them because it's revenue that's protected from fare wars.
Remember 20 years ago when all the airlines would lose money each flight from matching fares?
It became a game of brinkmanship. Now airlines finally have revenue and profit that's protected from market forces.

2) And this new-found era of solvency and profit to boot, there is no chance of cutting corners with regards to maintenance of the aircraft which used to be a regular concern with all the carriers.

So that's my contention that the fees translate to revenue that's safe from the effects of fare wars.

I like Delta's branding colors used for inside the plane's cabin and the the signs, uniforms, etc. starting in 2006. Before that the logos used awful fonts and wreaked of in-house cheapness.

I didn't like Delta's penchant for keeping older planes & not buying a lot of new ones.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:32 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,321,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
Agreed.

I fly a bunch so it is certainly not all flawless and all sunshine and flowers. I have slept in the airport before. But Delta certainly does the best I have experienced. And think most regular travelers agree.

I am still waiting to hear who people think does it better.
Almost every international carrier is better. Ever flown Singapore or Cathay Pacific? Even in economy they are leagues ahead. For first class there is no comparison.

Whether using points or cash, a first class flight on Delta One costs obscenely more than an international carrier, yet the international carriers blow then out of the water. I flew First Class British Airways to London a few months ago, and everything from the seat, to the multi course meal, to the "tea service" was just mind blowing compared to Delta One, which seems like a joke in comparison. And it cost me about 1/3 the points Delta was charging round trip.

Delta just isn't great.

Old 10-31-2018, 10:34 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,444,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
Almost every international carrier is better. Ever flown Singapore or Cathay Pacific? Even in economy they are leagues ahead. For first class there is no comparison.

Whether using points or cash, a first class flight on Delta One costs obscenely more than an international carrier, yet the international carriers blow then out of the water. I flew First Class British Airways to London a few months ago, and everything from the seat, to the multi course meal, to the "tea service" was just mind blowing compared to Delta One, which seems like a joke in comparison. And it cost me about 1/3 the points Delta was charging round trip.

Delta just isn't great.
They could be said of all American legacy carriers - Delta, United, and American. None of them are great when compared to certain international carriers.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:50 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
I think it has got to be.

I was not that impressed with Delta when I first started traveling for work over a decade ago, but the new leadership that took over after bankruptcy and the NW merger wins the prize. About anything you look at from on-time performance to customer satisfaction to profit they are at the top compared to other major US airlines now.

Plus they do a lot of good locally and globally. I was just at a Dad's Garage show Saturday and they were a sponsor. And their recent announcement about eliminating single use plastics is very cool too.

They are doing fine but cannot think of anywhere near as impressive of an improvement at other local companies like Coke, HD, or UPS.
Their on time does seem to be better. They used to be the worst. But their ground and air personnel are still the worst in the industry. Delta was bad. Northwest was horrible. Delta in Atlanta, because people here are naturally nice, isn't that bad. But it is far worse everywhere else.

Old 11-01-2018, 09:56 AM
bu2

24,108 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Agreed.

I fly a bunch so it is certainly not all flawless and all sunshine and flowers. I have slept in the airport before. But Delta certainly does the best I have experienced. And think most regular travelers agree.

I am still waiting to hear who people think does it better.
Southwest, United (although Continental was a lot better before the merger than the combined company is now), American, every international foreign airline I have experience with.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:33 AM

10,974 posts, read 10,881,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Southwest, United (although Continental was a lot better before the merger than the combined company is now), American, every international foreign airline I have experience with.
What possible metric do you think American or United does better than Delta? Again, 10 years ago they were all about the same if you haven't flown much recently. But Delta blows them out of the water in evey way you can measure: On-time, customer satisfaction, profit, bags, completion factor, etc etc.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:37 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,713,726 times
Quote:
What possible metric do you think American or United does better than Delta? Again, 10 years ago they were all about the same if you haven't flown much recently. But Delta blows them out of the water in evey way you can measure: On-time, customer satisfaction, profit, bags, completion factor, etc etc.
Don't forget snacks.

One thing I do hate about Delta is that they made me fat off those Lotus Biscoff Cookies.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:04 PM

4,768 posts, read 5,444,619 times
Quote:
That’s true Delta hard products are better. United continues to have problems combing Continental culture into United’s culture
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: