Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 04:17 PM

82 posts, read 335,403 times

Advertisements

Coming from SoCal where everything is hardcoat stucco, I was a bit surprised to learn of its nasty reputation in Atlanta. In my search, I've seen several nice hardcoat stucco homes but have been advised from a few that I should stick to brick and hardiplank homes. It was explained to me that relocation companies won't touch them, and as such, are much harder to sale.

Not that I don't trust the advice I was given, but I was wondering what the general consensus is amongst others on this board. Would you consider a hardocat stucco home or is it not worth the added difficulty in resale?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2008, 04:37 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
not that I own a home, but am looking....my understanding was the hard stucco was ok, the other stuff, EIFS, which many homes in metro Atlanta have can be a bad bet b/c moisture gets behind it.

anyone else?

Old 04-04-2008, 04:44 PM

I know about the synthetic stucco and why one should avoid it like the plague. It is my understanding that hardcoat stucco can be lumped in with the synthetic which may hurt its value. As a buyer, that works in my favor today. I guess the concern is that it may hurt me down the road.

Old 04-04-2008, 04:48 PM

1,755 posts, read 5,679,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffej View Post
I know about the synthetic stucco and why one should avoid it like the plague. It is my understanding that hardcoat stucco can be lumped in with the synthetic which may hurt its value. As a buyer, that works in my favor today. I guess the concern is that it may hurt me down the road.
Also note that many homes, stucco and brick both, are just that on 1 side. The other 3 sides are wood/siding/concrete siding.

There's been a many problems with concrete siding, more so with concrete I would say just on what I've heard, than stucco.

Most of these homes were built in the mid 80's to 90's I believe. I know my sister has this problem with her home.

They're not completely horrible but if you get behind on the upkeep/paint they get bad. I know they're were some lawsuits, was is 'Hardy'?

Old 04-04-2008, 04:51 PM

Location: Halfway between Number 4 Privet Drive and Forks, WA
1,516 posts, read 4,589,470 times
Stay away from stucco. Regardless of type, it will kill you on resale. Same goes for wood and masonite.

Stick with brick, hardi, or vinyl siding.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:03 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,081,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
They're not completely horrible but if you get behind on the upkeep/paint they get bad. I know they're were some lawsuits, was is 'Hardy'?
No I believe that the lawsuit was against Louisiana Pacific Siding (LP)

Old 04-04-2008, 05:10 PM

57 posts, read 536,364 times
That's funny, because we ran into the same issue! We moved to Atlanta from SoCal and were puzzled about the attitude some had towards hardcoat stucco.

A previous poster was right, hardcoat is absolutely fine. After all, it's everywhere in California, how can a whole state be wrong? You just need to find an educated buyer.

We ended up buying a hardcoat stucco house in Atlanta and we were not sorry. I'd take it over an ugly brick ranch anyday!

And remember, relo is just a portion of the group that might buy your house someday, should you choose to sell. There are plenty of people that aren't working with relocation companies when they move.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
No I believe that the lawsuit was against Louisiana Pacific Siding (LP)
That I do know, Hardiplank = concrete product = good. LP = class action lawsuit = bad.

Old 04-04-2008, 05:45 PM

297 posts, read 1,538,157 times
I have to agree with all the points made above. Yes, hardcoat stucco is fine, but if you are not looking at extremely expensive homes, you will have a really hard time with resale. Most buyers do not understand this difference between hardcoat and synthetic stucco, and as a result, they avoid any and all stucco homes. For those buyers that do understand the difference, they know how many buyers do not. As a result, they stay away from stucco because of the resale problem. I would advise you stay away from stucco purely from a resale point of view, not because of problems with the product.

Old 04-05-2008, 05:37 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,369,826 times
While the majority of the problems were with EIFS +/- 10 years ago, there were some hardcoat stucco homes that had issues as well. The problem wasn't with the products themselves, but rather with the installation (untrained installers who didn't properly detail the waterproofing at windows, etc.). I'd have no qualms about buying a new home with either system, provided that it was installed by a contractor who was certified by the manufacturer of the system, and inspected by the manufacturer's local rep during the installation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta