Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2018, 03:48 PM

126 posts, read 83,841 times

Advertisements

By popularity in Metro Atlanta

Popularity means who is the most popular. It doesn't mean who you do or don't like personally. It also doesnt mean you downgrading a ranking of a team because you do not care for the particular sport.

Popularity as in how many people attend their games, how many stickers/clothing of said teams you see in the city, etc,
Etc.

Rank the Braves, Hawks, United and Falcons in order in popularity

Last edited by ltaag; 12-09-2018 at 04:15 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 06:36 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,911,505 times
Braves > ATLUTD > Falcons > Hawks > Dream

Old 12-09-2018, 11:10 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
This looks to be about right in terms of the order of how popular professional sports are in the greater Atlanta region right now.

Though, with this being the South, there is one sport missing from this equation that sucks virtually almost all of the attention away from pro sports and makes the appeal of all professional sports teams pale by comparison.

So I added that missing element to your chart (and color-coded it with the sports/teams in darker colors getting the most fan interest) to show how many metro Atlanta residents actually think about sports...

SEC COLLEGE FOOTBALL!!!!! > non-SEC College Football > braves > atlutd > falcons > hawks > dream

College Football and everything that revolves around and feeds into it (high school football, etc) is the 8 gazillion-ton elephant in the room that sucks the support away from professional sports as a whole in this part of the country.

You can't have a talk about sports without talking about the seemingly overwhelming popularity of college football in this fanatically college football-mad region, state and part of the country.

Again, a big congratulations to the Atlanta United for bringing the first pro sports league championship to Atlanta in more than 23 years!

But many metro Atlantans, North Georgians and Georgians are often so preoccupied with college football (and the high school football sport that feeds players into college football) throughout much of the year that they often might not necessarily even really truly notice what is going on with Atlanta's pro sports teams.

Nothing quite inspires the passions and gets the blood flowing in this part of the country like college football (including SEC College Football as well as ACC teams with large local followings like Clemson, Florida State and Georgia Tech).

That the Atlanta United Major League Soccer team has been able to come onto the scene, sellout seemingly literally every home game and make waves in a college football-dominated region in only their first two years of existence has been quite remarkable and even stunning.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:34 PM

126 posts, read 83,841 times
I got this thread idea from dpatt.marine1

Old 12-10-2018, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
If I could include both individual college and professional sports teams on your chart, I would rank them in terms of current popularity and passionate followers like this:

Georgia Bulldogs football > Auburn Tigers football > Alabama Crimson Tide football > Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets football > Clemson Tigers football > United > Braves > Hawks > Dream

I put Georgia Bulldogs football at the front of the line because they've somewhere in the neighborhood of about 100,000 alumni living in the 29-county Atlanta metropolitan area alone... That does not even include the very large number of fans that they have that are not UGA alumni in the Atlanta area/region.

I put Auburn Tigers football in the second position on the 'sports team support depth chart' that dpatt.marine1 originally made because Auburn has quite a large following throughout parts of Georgia, including in west-central Georgia and in the Atlanta metro area.

I remember a few years back when some Georgia state legislators threatened to discontinue Georgia state government's specialty/prestige license plate program because Auburn and other SEC schools were selling more plates than UGA.

The Georgia state legislators were especially angry that Auburn alone in particular was reportedly selling more specialty plates in the state of Georgia than UGA was at the time. But those Georgia state legislators backed off of their threat to discontinue the Georgia state government specialty plate program after being reminded that the popular program generated a robust revenue stream into Georgia state government coffers.

I put Alabama Crimson Tide football in the third position on that chart because there are a lot of people that have jumped onto that bandwagon since Nick Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa and has had the Tide rolling through the SEC while on a near-historic/near-epic run of 5 national titles in only 9 seasons, with a legitimate shot to win a 6th national title in 10 seasons.

(It took Saban's predecessor, legendary Crimson Tide coach Paul "Bear" Bryant, 18 seasons to win his 5th national title during a run in which Bryant won 6 national titles in 19 seasons while leading the Tide.)

The Florida Gators and Tennessee Volunteers football programs also should get at the very least an honorable mention when it comes to the conversation of teams with large followings (of alumni and fans) in metro Atlanta. Though both the Gators and Volunteers have not been in contention for a national title for awhile (though the Gators did go 9-3 this past 2018 regular season), so the fan passions for both programs are not currently burning quite as brightly as they have during periods of SEC and national title contention.

I also put the Atlanta United in front of the Braves on the 'fan support depth chart' that dpatt.marine1 originated because the Atlanta United appear to be attracting more fans per home game than the Braves.

(The Atlanta United appear to currently be averaging more than 48,000 fans per home game while the Braves appear to currently be attracting an average of about just 31,500 fans to each of their home games.)

Old 12-10-2018, 03:28 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/12...afc-nfc-latest

It looks like Falcons do not even exist.

Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 PM

8,485 posts, read 14,987,215 times
I think this has more than one angle.

Metro-wide it's Braves -> Falcon -> United -> Hawks -> Dream

ITP it's United -> Falcons -> Braves -> Hawks -> Dream

We apparently have a lacrosse team too, but for the life of me I can't think of their name.

Old 12-10-2018, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
We apparently have a lacrosse team too, but for the life of me I can't think of their name.
Could it be the Atlanta Blaze MLL (Major League Lacrosse) team that you are thinking of?...

https://www.atlantablaze.com/

Old 12-11-2018, 01:31 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,423,588 times
The option to put out of state schools on license plates is a complete sell out. Its embarrassing.

Based on ticket demand I would put the United at tops of any list.

I sell our extra Georgia tickets from time to time on StubHub and only once this year did I get above face, Auburn. But that is Athens, I digress. Georgia season tickets, even when ranked in the top 5, is a losing proposition. Of course the competition was extremely weak on the home front this year.

Old 12-11-2018, 01:33 PM

847 posts, read 1,457,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I think this has more than one angle.

Metro-wide it's Braves -> Falcon -> United -> Hawks -> Dream

ITP it's United -> Falcons -> Braves -> Hawks -> Dream

Georgia Swarm, the 2017 National Lacrosse League Champions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta