Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2019, 01:45 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
I'm curious if there is a tipping point in certain areas (of affluence) where prospective buyers stop looking at public schools (or it ceases being an influence on price) because public schools are not where they intend to send their children, anyway.
Affluent areas like Buckhead, Vinings, the Sandy Springs 30327 zip code, the western part of the Sandy Springs 30328 zip code, and to a lesser extent Brookhaven, would appear to be examples of the type of tipping point that you are talking about where many prospective buyers may not even give much of a glance at the quality of the public schools because they intend to send their kids to private schools.

Those aforementioned affluent areas have such wealth and affluence and have so many other amenities (close to major employment/business hubs, retail, entertainment, etc) that they are more than able to attract affluent buyers with high housing prices despite the public schools in those areas not necessarily being the biggest draws for real estate buyers.

Quote:
At first glance, it seems like a way for a family to get a great deal on a great house in a great neighborhood, that just happens to be the victim of a poorly drawn district.
If an area has so many other amenities that it is still able to attract large numbers of buyers despite the public schools not being a big draw, families probably still are not going to be able to get much of a break on housing prices in that area during robust economic times.

Though, a family potentially might be able to get a break on housing prices in those areas during slower economic times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2019, 02:01 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Affluent areas like Buckhead, Vinings, the Sandy Springs 30327 zip code, the western part of the Sandy Springs 30328 zip code, and to a lesser extent Brookhaven, would appear to be examples of the type of tipping point that you are talking about where many prospective buyers may not even give much of a glance at the quality of the public schools because they intend to send their kids to private schools.
A lot of folks up in Buckhead are influenced by the high quality public schools, especially at the elementary level.

Many people just like public schools and the benefits of having their children go to school in the neighborhood.

And then there's the financial aspect -- if you've got two little ones and can avoid 7 years of private school tuition for each one, you've just saved half a million dollars. That's not chicken feed, even for relatively well to do parents.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:19 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
When wondering what makes Walton/Pope/Lassiter so special.... just look at a graduate. You have to go no further than here on our board. Aries4118. Brilliant and informed and a product of Pope HS.

(Aries, you need my new address for the check, I'll PM you...)

Old 01-14-2019, 05:24 PM

297 posts, read 271,555 times
I live in Mableton and I support the decision to become a city. South Cobb is neglected in comparison to other parts of the county. The area has a good location, good amenities(Silver Comet trail, Barns Amphitheater), and fairly good parks. I think Mableton could be very similar to Smyrna with the right governing and vision.

Old 01-14-2019, 05:46 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltop180 View Post
I live in Mableton and I support the decision to become a city. South Cobb is neglected in comparison to other parts of the county. The area has a good location, good amenities(Silver Comet trail, Barns Amphitheater), and fairly good parks. I think Mableton could be very similar to Smyrna with the right governing and vision.
My company has a datacenter in Lithia Springs, but the address sometimes standardizes as Atlanta, 30122. Wiki says it was incorporated in 1882, that was undone in 1933... reincorporated in 1994, and now unincorporated again in 2001.

So, how should people properly address mail?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithia_Springs,_Georgia

Old 01-14-2019, 06:30 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
My company has a datacenter in Lithia Springs, but the address sometimes standardizes as Atlanta, 30122. Wiki says it was incorporated in 1882, that was undone in 1933... reincorporated in 1994, and now unincorporated again in 2001.

So, how should people properly address mail?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithia_Springs,_Georgia
City governments when setting their boundaries are under no compulsion to follow zip code lines that serve the USPS and their delivery system. Unincorporated areas all over Georgia have city addresses of nearby cities because they are served by that post office. Doesn't mean you are in the city limits of said city. Just because a town is incorporated doesn't mean it gets a post office. And post offices are sometimes located in communities that aren't incorporated. Mableton 30126 is a perfect example of this.

Old 01-19-2019, 04:55 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
When wondering what makes Walton/Pope/Lassiter so special.... just look at a graduate. You have to go no further than here on our board. Aries4118. Brilliant and informed and a product of Pope HS.

(Aries, you need my new address for the check, I'll PM you...)

South Cobb residents gather to discuss forming new city-east-cobb-snobs.png

Old 03-26-2019, 07:18 AM

1,326 posts, read 2,391,970 times
Anything else ever happen with this?

Old 03-26-2019, 06:49 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,362,007 times
I know MANY people with million dollar plus homes in Buckhead that LOVE their public elementary schools and even really like Sutton and North Atlanta High thanks to their International Baccalaureate programs. (I have also known quite a few that feel the same about Riverwood High School in Sandy Springs) True, the North Atlanta, Riverwood, and even Dunwoody clusters do have a higher percentage of private school folks, but there are plenty of people that love and support their neighborhood schools there, too, and find them of high quality, not just "good enough".

Old 04-06-2021, 11:07 PM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Advocates and supporters of Mableton cityhood have resurrected their push to form a City of Mableton.

Advocates resurrect Mableton cityhood (Marietta Daily Journal) (PAYWALL)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta