Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,957 times

Advertisements

I just moved here from Houston, and we just moved into a house in Inman Park. I have the little retail strip shops around here, but I am looking for chain stores, specifically target. The day after I moved in I asked my next door neighbor to tell me about the closest chain retail options. She responded that there werent any. She said I could go to the new Edgewood Retail Center or Moreland Street, but she said there is a lot of crime and shootings in that shopping center because the area around it is bad. I then suggested Atlantic Station, which I had heard about before moving, and she said there was also shootings and crimes happening in that shopping center as well. She told me it was the equivalent of going to Underground Atlanta. She said my only option is Midtown. Is all this true? I have only been here 4 days and have been so busy I have not been able to see for myself, but I need to locate a target. I thought it would be easier to ask anyone on here if they have been to those places. I do not want to get shot, so please be honest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 05:15 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,336 times
Bull..... the Edgewood Target is fine.. so is Atlantic Station - Would I wander around there alone at midnight?... no.. but I go to both places all the time (mom with kids) and have never had a problem. The Kroger over at Edgewood is actually pretty good too (for a Kroger) Your next door neighbor must be paranoid or must just not like you and want to scare you.

Old 04-09-2008, 05:23 PM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
I don't know who you neighbor is, but she must be very paranoid!

Go to the Target that is on Moreland. It is maybe 5 minutes from the house in the Edgewood Shopping District. I have parked in one section of the retail area and walked all over and I have never been accosted, shot at or had panhandlers come up to me. There is also a Best Buy, Kroger, Office Depot and Lowe's in the shopping center. I have been in Kroger late at night and never felt that my life was in danger.

I have not been to the Target at Atlantic Station but it looks huge! My sister has a floral shop around the corner and she has never been broken into, shot at or stabbed.

Get ready for the Inman Park Festival which is always held the last weekend in April. Did she tell you that there would be random gun fire and looting then too (I am just kidding). Check out the neighborhood website at Inman Park and the Yahoo Group at inmanparkga : Inman Park Neighbors.

Welcome to the neighborhood! I hope you love it as much as I do!

Old 04-09-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmtiger View Post
Bull..... the Edgewood Target is fine.. so is Atlantic Station - Would I wander around there alone at midnight?... no.. but I go to both places all the time (mom with kids) and have never had a problem. The Kroger over at Edgewood is actually pretty good too (for a Kroger) Your next door neighbor must be paranoid or must just not like you and want to scare you.
He-he, we were thinking the same thing - she has a paranoid neighbor - now lock and load!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:30 PM

3,245 posts, read 6,302,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InmanParker View Post
She said my only option is Midtown. Is all this true? I have only been here 4 days and have been so busy I have not been able to see for myself, but I need to locate a target. I thought it would be easier to ask anyone on here if they have been to those places.
Try the one on N. Druid Hills Rd.

Target

Old 04-09-2008, 06:37 PM

114 posts, read 475,994 times
So NOT true! I'm a young female, and I feel perfectly safe in the Edgewood retail shops -- Target, Kroger, PETCO, Staples, Barnes and Noble, Bed, Bath & Beyond, and Ross on one side; Best Buy, Lowe's, Caribou's Coffee, and a bunch of restaurants (Ru San's Sushi and Figo -- both good) on the other side. I shop in that area a lot and have never had any problems.

I've also shopped at the Target on N. Druid Hills/Briarcliff (it's a Target Greatland), the one in Midtown, and the one near Lenox. They're all all safe, and they all have basically the same items.

Good luck!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:42 PM

66 posts, read 432,531 times
Your neighbor is crazy. My wife shops at the Edgewood Target and the Atlantic Station Target by herself all the time. As a previous poster mentioned, it might be a bad idea to go there alone at night, but don't be nervous to go there during the day.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:07 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Chong View Post
I have not been to the Target at Atlantic Station but it looks huge!

Get ready for the Inman Park Festival which is always held the last weekend in April. Did she tell you that there would be random gun fire and looting then too (I am just kidding). Check out the neighborhood website at Inman Park and the Yahoo Group at inmanparkga : Inman Park Neighbors.

That Target is actually pretty nice for a Target. While Atlantic station has had a couple of crime happenings make it to the news, it's at least so far no worse than any other intown area in Midtown. Going during the day should pose no problems at all - plus it's near IKEA if that's your thing, too.

And I ditto the Inman Park festival - it's probably one of the best arts festivals in the whole metro area. If you live in the area I'm sure it's somewhat hell for a couple of days, though (traffic, etc). I've read where folks say in the past they just stock up on food and stay in for the weekend and walk around the thing and enjoy themselves. For those who don't live near it, MARTA is a good option as parking is spotty.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
And I ditto the Inman Park festival - it's probably one of the best arts festivals in the whole metro area. If you live in the area I'm sure it's somewhat hell for a couple of days, though (traffic, etc). I've read where folks say in the past they just stock up on food and stay in for the weekend and walk around the thing and enjoy themselves. For those who don't live near it, MARTA is a good option as parking is spotty.
Luckily I live less than 2 blocks from all the festivities and have a garage so I don't have to fight for parking. You would be amazed how folks with a SUV think that they can fit on the street and not block my driveway.

There is a very simple rule to follow during the festival hours - I just don't plan to drive.

YES - please take MARTA!!! The Inman Park station is literally steps to the festivities. Please also leave your dogs at home. I love dogs, but they have no place in a crowded festival. The festival is also very kid friendly - but not stroller friendly based on the sheer number of attendees.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:23 AM

513 posts, read 1,632,542 times
Your neighbor's comments left me with a scrunchy face. Weird. We also have no problems shopping at the Target near your home. We hit the one near Northlake since it's closer to our house. I always find it interesting being in different Targets and seeing how different the shoppers are. Definitely notice a bit funkier crowd at the Target off Moreland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta