Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 09:38 AM

4 posts, read 3,486 times

Advertisements

Military family and my job will be moving to College Park, GA due to husbands military orders.

We are a Family of 5, young children ages 8,3, and 7 months.

Looking for a place to rent that has a GOOD school district that is very DIVERSE (We are African american), Low Crime, and FAMILY friendly, good daycare. Kids are into sports heavy so that would be a plus as well.

I am coming from DC so I am very familiar with ATL traffic. So I am looking for somewhere that has a good commute but not so expensive. My rental budget is 1700 a month.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 10:59 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,504,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twill1234 View Post
Military family and my job will be moving to College Park, GA due to husbands military orders.

We are a Family of 5, young children ages 8,3, and 7 months.

Looking for a place to rent that has a GOOD school district that is very DIVERSE (We are African american), Low Crime, and FAMILY friendly, good daycare. Kids are into sports heavy so that would be a plus as well.

I am coming from DC so I am very familiar with ATL traffic. So I am looking for somewhere that has a good commute but not so expensive. My rental budget is 1700 a month.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated.
For the best combination of good schools, diversity and a good commute to and from your job in College Park, look in northern Fayette County in the clusters of the excellent Fayette County Public Schools system that are anchored by Sandy Creek High School (Tyrone area) and Fayette County High School (Fayetteville area).

Old 03-30-2019, 09:12 AM

761 posts, read 907,795 times
I second B2R. Sandy Creek and Fayette County are great places to look, but I'd also consider McIntosh and Whitewater if you can find something in your price range. You could also look at Union Grove in Henry County, Newnan and Northgate districts in Coweta, and Chapel Hill area in Douglas County. I've included the % minority and free and reduced lunch rates for each school. The Starr's Mill district is the only district south of I-20 that has a free and reduced lunch rate lower than 10%.

You might also be able to consider West Cobb as well. The McEachern and Hillgrove districts are top choices for many middle class African American families, but I'm not sure how that commute would be. The Wheeler or Sprayberry districts in East Cobb might work too.

One final plug for Fayette is that it's home to a lot of veterans. When Fort Gillem and Fort Mcpherson were still open, many military families lived in Fayette. There are also thousands of Air Force and Navy veterans that live in Fayette that now work or fly for Delta.

Fayette County High School State Rankings from Schooldigger:

#10 McIntosh (37% minority & 10.8% free and reduced lunch)
#20 Starr's Mill (23% minority & 8.3% free and reduced lunch)
#43 Whitewater (35% minority & 14% free and reduced lunch)
#93 Sandy Creek (80% minority & 34.4% free and reduced lunch)
#120 Fayette County (82% minority & 40.2% free and reduced lunch)

Other Schools to consider:

#23 Hillgrove High (50% minority & 20.4% free and reduced lunch)
#69 Union Grove High School (43% minority & 21.7% free and reduced lunch)
#81 Wheeler High (73% minority & 47.3% free and reduced lunch)
#85 Northgate High (26% minority & 23.5% free and reduced lunch)
#109 Newnan High School (37% minority & 43.1% free and reduced lunch)
#131 McEachern (90% minority, 60.2% free and reduced lunch)
#162 Chapel Hill High (70% minority & 42.9% free and reduced lunch)

Info on Fayette County Schools:
https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/d...30/search.aspx

Last edited by PTC Dad; 03-30-2019 at 09:23 AM..

Old 03-31-2019, 02:02 PM

761 posts, read 907,795 times
Also, here are the commute times from each high school to College Park: (non-rush hour times). The commute times won't change that much from Fayette and Coweta, but will be much worse from Henry, Douglas, and Cobb.

Sandy Creek-19 minutes
Northgate-22 minutes
Fayette County-25 minutes
Chapel Hill-27 minutes
McIntosh-28 minutes
Wheeler-33 minutes
Newnan High-33 minutes
Union Grove-34 minutes
Whitewater-37 minutes
Starr's Mill-37 minutes
McEachern-39 minutes
Hillgrove-45 minutes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta