Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2008, 09:52 PM

18 posts, read 42,087 times

Advertisements

hi. i am an african american female with children and a husband. Is atlanta a good city for someone in the human resource field? also where is the best neighborhood to live thats diverse with good school district. any info on atlanta would be good. if i dont relocate to atlanta, we were thinking about dallas or houston. which do you think would be the best for someone in the human resource field, and a registered nurse? thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2008, 04:10 PM

57 posts, read 179,507 times
Hi dee I think ATL is a good place to go but everyone and anybody is going there. I have been to Dallas, houston and ATL and I like Dallas TX the best. I think in your field you wouldn't have a problem finding a job in Atlanta but you would love Dallas and the homes are beautiful and cheap!!!!!!

Old 04-26-2008, 04:45 PM

401 posts, read 1,733,336 times
Default What's your price range...?

That really narrows it down for us. There are lots of places in ATL that meet your needs but they have different price points.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:05 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,662,983 times
Get a job first...

The economy in ATL has been hit with the slowdown and Delta will be doing layoffs soon.

Old 04-28-2008, 07:57 AM

6 posts, read 26,251 times
Lastminutemom is right... get a job first.. but the RN should have a problem its the human resources field that might be umemployed for a minute

Old 04-29-2008, 05:41 AM

2 posts, read 4,390 times
I would not move to the Atlanta area. We lived here 20 years ago and moved back 2 years ago and wish we didn't! It may be cheaper to live than other large areas, but the progress here with the roads and mass transit is pitiful. Go to Houston or Dallas areas--have lived in both areas. There is something to be said about the money being there and the progress--the GDOT is backwards and corrupt. Look at Flower Mound, TX, Allen, TX, Spring, TX.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:21 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,321,054 times
I love living in Atlanta and I believe the city has a lot of opportunity. I especially love living inside of the city. However, the economy here is actually slowing--which hasn't really happened here over the past 20 years--but like everything else, it will probably bounce back.

I've never been to Houston, but I love Dallas. It's very similar to Atlanta, and according to some of those whom have lived in both metros, it reminds them of Atlanta in the 90s with its booming job market, reasonable housing prices, and massive investment in infrastructure improvements in expansion. The state, local, and regional governments here in Georgia, on the other hand, are shooting themselves in the foot by not investing in transportation improvements such as expanding public transport and building needed roads.

To sum it up, you really can't go wrong with either--but from the way things have been going lately in both areas--Dallas seems to be heading down the more sustainable route. Good luck!

Old 04-29-2008, 10:39 AM

3,615 posts, read 7,778,928 times
I don't see why Atlanta wouldn't be good for HR. There are a lot of large companies with big offices here, including Suntrust, Coca Cola, Bellsouth, Wachovia, Home Depot, Weather Channel, Borland, Bank of America, etc. There are also a ton of mid-size and small companies and recruitment agencies.

Homes are cheaper in Dallas, so it all depends on what your price range is and how many jobs are available. You'll probably get about the same percentage appreciation in either city.

You may also want to look at Charlotte. It's growing quickly.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:29 PM

10 posts, read 45,634 times
Default Good luck

you guys should be fine

Old 05-01-2008, 09:33 PM

15 posts, read 75,187 times
In all honesty, I have lived in Atlanta for almost 7 years. I am originally from St. Louis. I grew up in St. Peters and my parents live in South City. I would definitely do a lot of research before moving here. I live in Metro Atlanta, in a very suburb like area, and the atmosphere has changed drastically, in the last few years. The crime rate is horrible and the public schools are ALL overcrowded. The traffic is bad, because everyone commutes. I sound full of negativity, but I am just being honest. Please research it. Let me know if you need any help. I can be objective, I promise. Good luck!!

Last edited by jlynlewis; 05-01-2008 at 09:35 PM.. Reason: forgot something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: