Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2007, 07:17 AM

5 posts, read 18,955 times

Advertisements

Hi, Kay --

Some builders have a commission set up where the on-site agent gets a bigger commission if the buyer does *not* have an agent. Moreover, if the on-site agent has been answering the buyer's questions and gathering information for the buyer, then suddenly when the buyer comes in to write the contract the buyer brings in his own agent, the on-site agent could get a little irritated by that if it means that they have to now split their commission.

Also, a good buyers agent will really be on top of the on-site agent about things that the builder needs to be doing (obviously more hassle for the on-site agent).

Cici

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrob View Post
CiCi thank you so much for your post. It is so very helpful to those of us who are going to be entering the housing market here. We actually have a realtor pretty much. A friend of my wife's works for Keller-Williams up in Jersey and she put us in contact with a KW office dow here. So when we came down in the summer of 05 they showed us all around and took us to all of the developments we wanted to see. I can recall at the time that some of the on-site agents didn't seem too pleased with them being with us. Do you know why that would be? Nevertheless they will be representing us when we are set to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 07:47 AM

5 posts, read 18,955 times
Here's a link to virtual tours for the Newport:

Foyer:
http://im3.imagemaker360.com/Viewer/...4900&OffSetL=0

Master Bedroom:
http://im3.imagemaker360.com/Viewer/...4901&OffSetL=0

Hope that helps until I can get my photos uploaded!

Cici

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmony View Post
CiCi,

Would you happen to have photos of the Newport? Also, thanks for the post. Although you claimed it to be long, it was very useful. I believe you're the first licensed Realtor to post in support of Legacy. What I enjoyed most about your post was your advice to hire an inspector. I spoke to my hired inspector today. Although he has yet to inspect my house (the house is being inspected in phases) he's given me a detail checklist of what to expect. Since I'm not a home inspector, I validate what he tells me by calling other inspectors. So far, so good.

Although we're under contract, my wife and I would like to see photos of the Newport. We have friends that are moving to ATL also, and we'd like to give them as many options as possible. I believe had we known of the Newport, we would have purchased it instead. The community we selected does not sell the Newport, only the Rosewood and the Waverly.

Old 05-01-2007, 11:27 AM

7 posts, read 24,578 times
To those who sent me private messages, again, I'd stress that I'd agree what other folks here posted about getting an inspection done during construction if at all possible. If your home you're considering purchasing from Legacy (or anyone for that matter) is mostly built, still get that inspection done. DO NOT take their word for it when they say things will get fixed or addressed after closing. If you want something fixed before closing, and Legacy opens their mouth and words other than "Yes sir or maam" come out, assume they are lying. Get everything in writing...many of our neighbors with they did...lots of pillow talk and promises during the sales "courtship", but man do you ever get a dose of reality after closing is done, and they've gotten their money.

I can post pictures of examples of the poor quality and defects on my home if anyone is interested. Not sure if there's interest in this or not, but if there is, I can do so.

Finally, we've learned that a vast majority of the homes in Curtis Farms had been sold at least once (buyer backed out), and some twice or three times, before finally getting someone to put up with their poor quality, missed dates and bad attitude and actually get past a closing.

Just a final note. Legacy is now advertising (signs and on the radio) that you can now own a home for 1 dollar down. Nice idea...if that's the type of client you're trying to attract. THey just reduced the prices by 10k in Curtis Farm...just think of what they've done to our resale value by doing this. Just something to remember when dealing with Legacy. They are a homeowners worst nightmare...and I again stress to avoid them and seek alternatives if possible. I wish we would have, and now we're familiar with the area, have discovered that there are multiple subdivisions that could have delivered a much higher quality home for about the same price or slightly more. Hindsight is 20/20....

Good luck to all in your house hunting!

Old 05-01-2007, 08:15 PM

26 posts, read 182,234 times
Thats good information Insightful. I have also seen that Homelife and Legacy use gutters in Douglasville and up North. They feel as if the Southside buyer doesnt care about quality. For those of us who live in Atlanta you know who the Southside buyer is (people of color).

Old 05-02-2007, 11:27 PM

37 posts, read 173,776 times
Arameth,

Thanks once again for your post. Can you share which builders you would recommend?

Old 05-03-2007, 07:51 PM

34 posts, read 193,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjon01 View Post
Thats good information Insightful. I have also seen that Homelife and Legacy use gutters in Douglasville and up North. They feel as if the Southside buyer doesnt care about quality. For those of us who live in Atlanta you know who the Southside buyer is (people of color).
Yes, yes, Jonjon, you are absolutely right. We definitely know. A lot of us just look at this "nice big home" and go for it. Me, personally, I am not buying new construction again. The resale I'm looking to buy had less problems than some of the new homes my colleagues are buying. They just aren't making them like they used to. In the end, it's a matter of personal preference, but, I don't anyone too cheap to go the extra mile.

Old 05-04-2007, 06:37 AM

2 posts, read 8,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonjon01 View Post
Sorry to hear about all of your problems new to Canton. I am finding alot of people that have very simalar problems with Legacy. I see a few responses from people in this forum, but people who live in the communities are saying the same thing. Live big for less is true, and there is always a reason why you can get big for less. I wish you good luck, maybe you should try to sell before the community gets old and harder to sell your property.
Hello,

I apologize for taking so long to respond to you. After purchasing the house we've been somewhat biased, and watched what Legacy communities seem to be doing more so than other communities admittedly. I've come to the conclusion after seeing several of their communities further south and closer to Atlanta that the further away you are from the city the rougher the finishing aspects of these homes and communities seem to be. It looks as though it might be a difficulty in finding the resources that they need in such a rural area. I do agree that the price for the amount of space that you get is worth the battle we've been fighting. The bottom line is this... these problems will be fixed one way or another, and five to ten years from now we will have a very large home with a very low mortgage, and plenty of room for our family to grow into it. It's a hassle of an investment, but a sound investment nonetheless.

Old 05-05-2007, 06:49 AM

Smile Home Investments

I've have posted and monitored this thread for some time. Whether you believe the postings or not, each post have been very educational for me. For those of you who believe you have it bad, consider this. (And this is in no way a post to make light of the problems some people are having.) This morning I while watching HGTV (at least I believe that was the channel) I came to the realization that in purchasing this house, I was making an investment. I watched two episodes. The first show was of a couple looking to add value to the home. They called in the "HGTV" professionals to give them ideas to during their scheduled Open House. I'll save you the long story by telling you that in the end, the couple spend a few thousand dollars, but earned thousands more after they made a few investments. The second show (which fits us more) was about a couple in Paris looking to purchas a 2 bedroom flat. The couple had three options: $453,000 1 bedroom flat, $423,000 1 bedroom flat, and a $456,000 2 bedroom flat. The couple decided on the $453,000 flat and after 5 months add an addition $20K+ to the home. That adds up to over $475,000 for a 1 bedroom, <1000 SQ FT home. How much will rear gutters cost? Yes, it may be cheap of Legacy not to add some things, but they're also not passing along additional cost either. If you read some of my previous postings, you'll read about the Northern VA area. My wife and I purchased a TH in the area for $117,000 in 1997, sold it in 2003 for $210,000. My old neighbors are now selling for $359,000. The neighborhood is the same minus increase in crime. Those same squeaky stairs I left are being sold to someone for more than $100K. For those of you who purchased your home a year ago, (and I pray those of us buying now) will be able to sell your homes for more than the cost of gutters, cost of upgrading padding and carpets, and the investments you make to sell the home. The purchase of a home is an investment. And like investments, you will have ups and downs, but on average, homes in America appreciate at about 6% a year. Some cities more than others. So in looking at the big picture, I could be spending thousands (or even hundreds of thousands) more on a smaller house. Less head aches, but less overall profit. If the home owners stick together and do not allow crime and drugs to over run their community, they will tend to gain for their investments. If they don't, gutters will be the last thing they worry about. People of color, like people of "no color" want safe communities and quaility real estate. The only color of concern should be green at closing. You want gutters, have someone put in gutters. You want better appliances, buy them. You're will be more likely to sell your home faster if you're willing to upgrade and/or invest in something different than your neighbors.

Please forgive me y'all. My post was kind of long, but I had to get that off my chest. After seeing this morning's show I couldn't help but to think what life would be like if I had to decide which $400K 1 bedroom flat to purchase. I don't believe I'd purchase a 1 bedroom home anywhere. Even if I had millions. Well....maybe if I had millions.

Old 05-05-2007, 08:56 AM

5 posts, read 16,746 times
Thumbs up New Owner in Somerset

I have been following this thread since I signed my contract in March. After reading some of the stories I was worried. Refurbished appliances? NO! I got a letter from Cowan & Cowan stating they would be new as every other house they have furnished for Legacy. The two sales ladies in the model have always been extremely helpful with any question or concern. The finish manager has bent over backwards to accommodate anything I did not think was perfect and never complained one time. Yes I did have a realtor and did have an inspection completed prior to closing. I have been in my house a week and am happy.

I do not agree with two cable outlets, no rear gutters, cheap light fixtures without fan boxes, cheap faucets, no garage door opener, low grade carpet, and the bottom line appliances ( I upgraded everything to GE Profile and C & C does give great discounts). BUT I got a huge house for a great price. Everything can be replaced when it breaks over time with what I want and the cost will be spread out. I agree with jtmony completely, Legacy offers a great deal that can be personalized over time.

Last edited by JDnJO; 05-05-2007 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 05-06-2007, 08:35 AM

Default Repy to JDnJO

JD,

For those of us waiting to close, please continue to monitor the postings and provide first hand experiences. Any lessons learned from closing? How long did the closing and walk through take. What can we expect at walk through and closing. How hard and/or what were your procedures in upgrading your appliances (GE)?

Everyone/Anyone: my wife and I stumbled across Home Depot's "How To" guide several weeks ago. The site provided several video clips of do-it-yourself type of projects. Unfortunately for us, we can't map our way back to the site. Anyone out there know the link or a site similar. It provides everything from changing light fixtures to faucets. One clip in particular provides a guide on how to put up shelves in the garage. If someone out there know the site, please post the link or send me a private link. If I find it, I'll do so.

Oh, before I forget. I'm looking to find bedroom furniture for bedrooms 3, 4 & 5 of the Rosewood. Also living room furniture. Any suggestions? Rooms to Go had affordable prices, but since we're not from the area and are currently living outside the area, wanted to know what others could suggest. Looking for good quality (something that could last two or three moves) and of course affordable. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta