Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2019, 01:24 PM

1,990 posts, read 2,363,225 times

Advertisements

I do kind of like Lakeshore in Gainesville. Worked at Belk while at Truett-McConnell in College. Belk still has a really nice store there. It is definitely a cut above the "Baby Belk's" populating shopping plazas around Metro Atlanta now that the glorious Phipp's Plaza "Mega Belk" is gone.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 01:35 PM

9,818 posts, read 7,939,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I do kind of like Lakeshore in Gainesville. Worked at Belk while at Truett-McConnell in College. Belk still has a really nice store there. It is definitely a cut above the "Baby Belk's" populating shopping plazas around Metro Atlanta now that the glorious Phipp's Plaza "Mega Belk" is gone.
We lived in Charlotte when I was in 4th & 5th grades, and the old flagship Belk and Ivey's were still in Uptown across Tryon Street from each other. Belk was huge and beautiful, almost on the level of Rich's at Five Points. I have very fond memories of that old Belk.

On a different note, the backside of Phipps where Parisian/Belk was is gone! They're starting from the ground up.

Old 06-27-2019, 04:49 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,036,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thedude404 View Post
Or a rainstorm. Then again, people dont move to Dallas expecting to live in a forest. Different strokes for different folks. I've driven through Dallas twice and stopped once but admittedly did not see very much of the city. From what I did see, did not seem that appealing. In fact I've never been anywhere in Texas that seemed appealing.
I've been to Dallas and Houston. Neither city seemed like anything to write home about, but I have heard that Austin and San Antonio are Texas' crowning jewels.

Old 06-27-2019, 06:56 PM

11,815 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I've been to Dallas and Houston. Neither city seemed like anything to write home about, but I have heard that Austin and San Antonio are Texas' crowning jewels.
San Antonio seemed okay to me, the Riverwalk is nice.

Austin doesnt feel like a Texan city at all to me but seems to appeal to a 20's - 30's something crowd the most out of most as well as tons of Californians practically reimaging this city (Tons of IT and high mortgages). Of all cities in Texas it is the most expensive one to live in and seems to have the most appeal of them all.

DFW and Houston, I love their infrastructure -- but hate driving through Houston. DFW seems fairly decent to drive through...but through all of Texas, I hate how they have to put access roads on every single freeway, it completely ruins the scenery surrounding the road. (shopping plazas, offices on the side of every highway)

For DFW I'm thinking the best parts of DFW are not the core districts (aside from Uptown and Highland Park) but rather its suburbs, especially the northern ones. Houston to me seems to have the better Downtown but alot of Houston (especially east and south) seems old and like a model of Los Angeles mixed in with a bit of Miami. Houston's zoning is crap as well.

As for the weather, its really odd here. Here in Austin it has actually been cooler this year than Atlanta has and we've been getting alot of heavy rain - infact it took out my roof which is why I came back to Atlanta so early and stayed so long. Dallas can get hot.. not sure how its been this year but not only can it get hot but it can also get windy and experience unexpected sudden drops of temperature. (from 90's to 50's in a few short hours for example) -- Its a nice town and I like it but I probably dont see myself striving to move there...or Houston - Austin is the only place in Texas that I desire to live, outside of that I'd probably head further west assuming the financials met the mark.

Of all of them, I'd say Houston has the best skylines (plural due to multiple of them), Austin's newer and more modern skyline is pretty nice too, Dallas has an okay skyline but much of it is salted down due to their building height restrictions (I'm guessing because the clay soil) and it is kind of hard to navigate for newcomers.

I don't think any of them match Atlanta's skyline though, that is the one thing I will miss about Atlanta.

On a side note before I left last week I went down to Lenox Mall Cheesecake Factory -- and the place was surrounded by police - they werent after anyone, just seemed to be monitoring and talking amongst themselves, is it always like that during the weekend evenings or was there an event that went on there?

Old 06-28-2019, 06:06 AM

23,726 posts, read 24,876,648 times
Quote:
it completely ruins the scenery surrounding the road
I am sorry, I just can't even deal with this statement. Oh course a freeway ruins the scenery.
Quote:
I left last week I went down to Lenox Mall Cheesecake Factory
You just said all we need to now about you... Cheesecake Factory-type of person.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:14 AM

16,706 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
I am sorry, I just can't even deal with this statement. Oh course a freeway ruins the scenery.

You just said all we need to now about you... Cheesecake Factory-type of person.
That was mean, CQ. Not like you.

Old 06-28-2019, 06:43 AM

11,815 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
That was mean, CQ. Not like you.
He lost his sweet tooth

Old 06-28-2019, 07:21 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
On a side note before I left last week I went down to Lenox Mall Cheesecake Factory -- and the place was surrounded by police - they werent after anyone, just seemed to be monitoring and talking amongst themselves, is it always like that during the weekend evenings or was there an event that went on there?
I think the cops may have weekly (or biweekly) meetings with the big malls and their security people. Just to stay on top of things.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:16 PM

620 posts, read 312,612 times
Just got back from visiting Avalon. It’s sure as heck pretty! Those tree-lined streets are just gorgeous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta