Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 07:46 AM

14 posts, read 29,870 times

Advertisements

Hi. We are looking at relocating to the area. We can make 1-2 house hunting trips to the area. Our preference in Walton High School and new, newer homes, and building. We definitely prefer privacy as no one else is looking directly into our back windows.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2019, 08:11 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,704,891 times
I live just outside of the Walton district in the POPE district. As far as specific neighborhoods, I don't know that I can help you beyond what an internet search engine like Zillow can, but I'll just say this:

There are a number of new construction neighborhoods in the Walton district......a majority of them are not in the most ideal places (next to busy roads, backing up to commercial buildings, etc.) because most of East Cobb has already been built out. Thus most of these neighborhoods have high privacy walls around them. Roughly I see the houses go from $900K to $1.2M

I often say to my wife when we drive by these, "If I had $1.2M, I sure as heck wouldn't spend it to live off that busy road with all the road noise and cars, etc." I'd actually rather have a $600K palace that's fully renovated in a really nice established neighborhood without all the road noise.. They clearly demand a premium for being in the Walton district, as most of the for sales signs advertise as such.

There is a tier below this where you can find homes built in the last 5-7 years for ~$700K? nice brick homes that are probably 3,500+ SQF.

I have no idea what your budget is because you didn't say, and I certainly don't want to change your mind if it's already made up. But in my humble opinion, the price premium that Walton demands is not worth it for the differences in school quality over both Pope and Lassiter. In many respects, some parents are shunning Walton "university" because it's been deemed a pressure cooker on the kids. Once again, you may like hearing that, you may not. If budget is a problem, you can find nice, 1980's fully renovated 3,000+ Sqf homes in Pope and Lassiter between $400-$600K.

My goal wasn't to project my wants onto you, so sorry if it came across that way. Just trying to give you the feel of the area that you can't pick up on search engines.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:32 AM

562 posts, read 1,791,120 times
I would contact- I have had 3 friends use him to buy houses and rant and Rave about him. Tell him Dr. Jay Referred you.

Buyer Agent, Exclusive Buyer Agent in Metro Atlanta covering Cobb, Cherokee, Dekalb, Fulton, and Forsyth, including Marietta, Roswell, Alpharetta, Woodstock, Decatur, Smyrna, Kennesaw, Acworth, Milton, Cumming, and others

What is your budget? Based on what you are looking for, you are looking at a minimum of $1 million+.

Old 06-27-2019, 08:37 AM

Thanks so much. I believe I have a clearer picture. Its tough relocating a family with kids so far away. I definitely can appreciate and understand your thought on this. It would probably not be our "forever" home and sometimes its just easier to slide into a new house with an incredible school. By far, my kids education and happiness are our #1 priorities. You have given me lots to think about!!! thank you,

Old 06-27-2019, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
I live just outside of the Walton district in the POPE district. As far as specific neighborhoods, I don't know that I can help you beyond what an internet search engine like Zillow can, but I'll just say this:

There are a number of new construction neighborhoods in the Walton district......a majority of them are not in the most ideal places (next to busy roads, backing up to commercial buildings, etc.) because most of East Cobb has already been built out. Thus most of these neighborhoods have high privacy walls around them. Roughly I see the houses go from $900K to $1.2M

I often say to my wife when we drive by these, "If I had $1.2M, I sure as heck wouldn't spend it to live off that busy road with all the road noise and cars, etc." I'd actually rather have a $600K palace that's fully renovated in a really nice established neighborhood without all the road noise.. They clearly demand a premium for being in the Walton district, as most of the for sales signs advertise as such.

There is a tier below this where you can find homes built in the last 5-7 years for ~$700K? nice brick homes that are probably 3,500+ SQF.

I have no idea what your budget is because you didn't say, and I certainly don't want to change your mind if it's already made up. But in my humble opinion, the price premium that Walton demands is not worth it for the differences in school quality over both Pope and Lassiter. In many respects, some parents are shunning Walton "university" because it's been deemed a pressure cooker on the kids. Once again, you may like hearing that, you may not. If budget is a problem, you can find nice, 1980's fully renovated 3,000+ Sqf homes in Pope and Lassiter between $400-$600K.

My goal wasn't to project my wants onto you, so sorry if it came across that way. Just trying to give you the feel of the area that you can't pick up on search engines.
Agree we ended up in the Lassiter district, but there is one more reason you are paying a premium vs just being in the Walton district and that is being closer to the city and easier access to interstates.

When we looked (5 years ago) we only saw 1 house in the 700K range and it was on a main road, maybe thats changed, but there wasnt another house in a subdivision for under 800K that wasnt at least 12+ years old.

Last edited by ecuresident; 06-27-2019 at 08:39 AM.. Reason: add comment

Old 06-27-2019, 08:38 AM

Default Thank you!

Quote:

Thanks so much. I believe I have a clearer picture. Its tough relocating a family with kids so far away. I definitely can appreciate and understand your thought on this. It would probably not be our "forever" home and sometimes its just easier to slide into a new house with an incredible school. By far, my kids education and happiness are our #1 priorities. You have given me lots to think about!!! thank you,

Old 06-27-2019, 10:17 AM

The pope and Lassiter districts also have excellent schools, and are all highly ranked in US news and World report. Walton is ranked slightly better, but at this level I think it comes down more the your individual child then the school.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...chools/georgia

https://www.collegesimply.com/k12/li...state/georgia/

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/s...k.aspx?level=3

Old 06-27-2019, 10:42 AM

16,703 posts, read 29,537,876 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
Agree we ended up in the Lassiter district, but there is one more reason you are paying a premium vs just being in the Walton district and that is being closer to the city and easier access to interstates.

When we looked (5 years ago) we only saw 1 house in the 700K range and it was on a main road, maybe thats changed, but there wasnt another house in a subdivision for under 800K that wasnt at least 12+ years old.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zandrah24 View Post
Quote:
The pope and Lassiter districts also have excellent schools, and are all highly ranked in US news and World report. Walton is ranked slightly better, but at this level I think it comes down more the your individual child then the school.

https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...chools/georgia

https://www.collegesimply.com/k12/li...state/georgia/

https://www.schooldigger.com/go/GA/s...k.aspx?level=3

Lassiter-Pope-Walton
http://www.cobbk12.org/centraloffice...esMasterHS.pdf

Old 06-27-2019, 12:11 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,865,336 times
Quote:

This is fantastic advice.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:18 PM

356 posts, read 317,060 times
Quote:
there is one more reason you are paying a premium vs just being in the Walton district and that is being closer to the city and easier access to interstates
Yup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta