Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 08:08 AM

2,084 posts, read 1,381,707 times

Advertisements

Shoplifting is obviously a huge problem for all stores and grocery stores in particular. However, one chain has come up with a controversial solution: caged grocery store aisles.

That solution is in effect at an Atlanta area Kroger store where customers who enter, are confronted with a second set of doors and glass facade inside the store.

This isn’t going over too well with the store’s customers who argue that the glass enclosure is racist and makes them feel like caged animals..."

FULL STORY: https://eurweb.com/2019/09/30/atlant...-video-report/

SOURCE: eurweb

Old 10-05-2019, 08:16 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,215,508 times
Default Let me guess

All the white customers are crying "Racist!"

All non-white customers are crying "Racist."

Everyone is crying "Racist."

No one is crying racist as shop lifting has decreased and Koger's prices remain the same.

This article is fake news.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:19 AM

4,414 posts, read 3,476,032 times
I do have to say that one of the Kroger stores in Dunwoody seems to overdo it on shoplifting prevention (blocking certain access points, putting alarms on carts and other stuff). In fact that store is so "overkill" about it that it wouldn't surprise me at all if they installed the cages.

I don't like shopping there because of the assumption that you're going to steal.

Old 10-05-2019, 08:27 AM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Seems like we've done fine without cages for many years. Why start now?

Old 10-05-2019, 08:31 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,064,341 times
Yeah, I have my own issues with Kroger. I don't like the gas stations, where even in good parts of town, they have the cashiers behind bullet proof glass and you have to hold your drink up to a window so they can scan it. Then, you have to put your credit card or cash in a dog food bowl in a drawer. I never buy gas there because of it. QT figured out how to not have to do that, and this is in a high income area.

BUT, I also see the other side of the coin. Kroger is basically saying people steal too much. If we don't do this, we'll just close the stores where this is a problem. Then, enjoy your food desert, losers. I'm paraphrasing.. but, I can't disagree.

I will say the section in the live report where South Fulton police say crime there is no higher than in any other store. That's completely meaningless, unless you think Kroger reports every shoplifting incident to police. Kroger's internal data on shrinkage would be way more accurate than anything police know. It could also very well be employees are involved.

I've gotten so angry with Kroger over various things in the past, I've stormed out and gone to Publix. But there's no denying Publix is really a lot more expensive. So for me, Kroger fills the quintessential grocery store need: Tons of inventory, cheap prices, average to above average quality. It's really the only place in my zone as I find Publix too expensive and Walmart too nasty. I also don't mind Ingles, but what else is there? The grocery game is pretty limited. I find myself going back again and again and forgiving the things that bother me.

South Fulton residents will do the same.

Old 10-05-2019, 09:49 AM

1,005 posts, read 730,159 times
Yeah, that's at my Kroger on the southwest side off Ralph David Abernathy. I rarely shop at Kroger anymore, especially that one (produce/veggie section is lackluster and things from this store spoil very quickly) but the last time I was there I thought it was bizarre. Kroger already has cameras on every aisle. It's not difficult to understand customer frustration and frustration by Kroger, but, we'll see if this even does anything. Crazy.

Old 10-05-2019, 02:13 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,749,084 times
I get the store trying to stop shoplifting, but I can't get mad at people taking food.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:14 PM

7,360 posts, read 6,532,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
I get the store trying to stop shoplifting, but I can't get mad at people taking food.
Looking at those specific aisles, it isn't food they're trying to prevent being stolen.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:52 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,989,619 times
Grocery stores break even or have small profit margins on most items. They make money on the items with larger margins, but poorer communities tend to buy far less of the higher margin items. That's compounded if the higher margin items are being stolen. So they end up either deciding to operate the store as a public good that doesn't really make money or they close the store. This is an attempt to find an alternative solution that's backfired so I'd guess that they revisit the typical two options.

Old 10-05-2019, 03:58 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,969,854 times
Kroger is having so many problems right now.
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/02/krog...ound-plan.html
https://www.supermarketnews.com/reta...-durham-market

i expect the anti-theft efforts to increase.
Kroger will end up like A&P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta