Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2019, 02:12 PM

2,084 posts, read 1,381,707 times

Advertisements

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms issued an administrative order Monday that will restrict public access to court records of people convicted of possessing less than an ounce of marijuana..."

FULL STORY: https://www.ajc.com/news/local-govt-...TRn0MgI8sd7GJ/

SOURCE: AJC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2019, 02:38 PM

7,359 posts, read 6,532,723 times
Wrong direction. Today is the 5th day in a row that I've smell the STRONG smell of pot coming from the car ahead of me. I have zero doubt that the increase in traffic congestion (everywhere) outpaces growth due to the liberalization of drugs. I've noticed a particularly sharp increase in traffic in Atlanta since Atlanta began this pseudo-decriminalization of pot. If the police just ran K9 units down each stopped line of traffic, they'd take hundreds of druggies off the road and reduce congestion.

Old 12-16-2019, 03:37 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,631,970 times
^Is this a ****post or are you serious?

Old 12-16-2019, 03:45 PM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms issued an administrative order Monday that will restrict public access to court records of people convicted of possessing less than an ounce of marijuana..."

This is a step in the right direction. A lot of people with such a conviction have trouble getting jobs. You can't pay court costs, among the many other things if you can't land a job/lose the current one you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
Wrong direction. Today is the 5th day in a row that I've smell the STRONG smell of pot coming from the car ahead of me. I have zero doubt that the increase in traffic congestion (everywhere) outpaces growth due to the liberalization of drugs. I've noticed a particularly sharp increase in traffic in Atlanta since Atlanta began this pseudo-decriminalization of pot. If the police just ran K9 units down each stopped line of traffic, they'd take hundreds of druggies off the road and reduce congestion.

That's discrimination. Do you know how many pill poppers are high as a kite but aren't busted for DUI? It's very clear who is affected by the criminalization of marijuana.

Back to the issue at hand, possession of any drug ought to be treated as a public health concern handled by doctors, psychiatrists, etc., and not the criminal justice system.

Old 12-16-2019, 06:59 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,808,281 times
Quote:
If folks have to smoke pot, I wish they would do it at home where it doesn't impact anybody else.

Old 12-17-2019, 05:22 AM

197 posts, read 184,144 times
Quote:
And then traffic would get 10x worse because all of the cops would pull people over and not get over on the side the of the road.

Old 12-18-2019, 11:49 AM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post

Someone she knows get busted?

Old 12-19-2019, 04:54 AM

4,757 posts, read 3,369,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Someone she knows get busted?

There are countries that chose to decriminalize and invest in substance use disorder/prevention programs and their addiction rates are much lower than ours. We chose to criminalize and now look at where we are. Most countries that have humane drug policies have decriminalized drugs AND treat it like a public health issue. They also allow proper research to be conducted on drugs for potential medicinal use.

Old 12-19-2019, 09:08 AM
bu2

24,107 posts, read 14,899,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamerD View Post
There are countries that chose to decriminalize and invest in substance use disorder/prevention programs and their addiction rates are much lower than ours. We chose to criminalize and now look at where we are. Most countries that have humane drug policies have decriminalized drugs AND treat it like a public health issue. They also allow proper research to be conducted on drugs for potential medicinal use.
The sudden timing and the mayor's order as opposed to getting something through city council just smells bad.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:12 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,631,970 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: