Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2020, 09:54 AM
dgz dgz started this thread

806 posts, read 3,393,230 times

Advertisements

I'm relocating to the north Atlanta area in 4-5 months from Dallas and I'm looking for a good location to research for house-hunting.

My work will be near the SunTrust/Braves Stadium area along 75. House range is $250-$350k.

My priorities are:

- quiet and safe neighborhood
- close proximity to Sprouts/Whole Foods - I prefer organic food and there's just not enough available in the regular Krogers/etc.
- nearby parks that are a walk or short drive away where I can walk my dogs

I've was looking at East Cobb, but with the housing prices going up, I've started looking farther north. How is Westfield, Mountain Park, Woodstock or Kennesaw?

And would these be reasonable commutes or too far? I'm used to a 1-hour commute each way where I live now, but a 90-minute commute would kill me. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 12:17 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,701,850 times
These areas are all really nice. My biggest complaint is that having to utilize/cross hwy 92 on the regular would be a daily hassle. Meaning if you have to run errands off of that road, it would drive me nuts after a month. The same could probably be said of Barret parkway.

That said, I've always thought of Kennesaw as a value. Good schools, great retail, good highway access, good cost of living. I'd think if you live close to 75, you might be looking at a 15-20 min commute + the time it takes to get to 75? From my house in East Cobb near Pope high, you're looking at 25 minutes to Truist park at rush hour via side roads for reference.

Old 01-15-2020, 02:27 PM

Thanks! It hadn't occurred to me that 92 would be a major hassle--as it looks farther out on a map. I'll look further south of it. I'll check out more of Westfield and Kennesaw. Some of my colleagues are also looking at Kennesaw area.

Old 01-15-2020, 03:42 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I'm relocating to the north Atlanta area in 4-5 months from Dallas and I'm looking for a good location to research for house-hunting.

My work will be near the SunTrust/Braves Stadium area along 75. House range is $250-$350k.

My priorities are:

- close proximity to Sprouts/Whole Foods - I prefer organic food and there's just not enough available in the regular Krogers/etc.

I've was looking at East Cobb, but with the housing prices going up, I've started looking farther north. How is Westfield, Mountain Park, Woodstock or Kennesaw?

And would these be reasonable commutes or too far? I'm used to a 1-hour commute each way where I live now, but a 90-minute commute would kill me. Any suggestions?
Quote:
Thanks! It hadn't occurred to me that 92 would be a major hassle--as it looks farther out on a map. I'll look further south of it. I'll check out more of Westfield and Kennesaw. Some of my colleagues are also looking at Kennesaw area.
I know you have seen "Westfield" on some maps.

That is not a big official area or town. It is a subdivision in East Cobb in the Pope High School District.

The "Westfield" you are referring to on the maps is in the northern and eastern part of East Cobb.

East Cobb is big:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Cobb,_Georgia

Based on what you wrote in your posts above, you should focus on the following areas:

Kennesaw
Woodstock
Hickory Flat

The Woodstock Area has a Sprouts. The Kennesaw Area has a Whole Foods (new).

Old 01-16-2020, 01:47 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:

My priorities are:

A glance at the real estate listings of the Georgia MLS appears to indicate that (while there are very few, if any, homes for sale within your price range in the part of East Cobb (in the Walton High School attendance zone) in the immediate area around the major Johnson Ferry Road and GA-120 Roswell Road intersection where organic food retailers like Sprouts and Whole Foods both have stores located) there are many more homes listed in your price range in the parts of East Cobb served by the Pope and Lassiter school zones.

The Pope and Lassiter school zones would still put you in East Cobb while also still giving you decent access to your job near SunTrust (now Truist) Stadium in Cumberland as well as to the aforementioned Sprouts and Whole Foods stores at the Johnson Ferry Road/GA-120 Roswell Road intersection, and the Sprouts location in Woodstock.

You could probably do an extensive search to see what you can find within your price in East Cobb in the Pope and Lassiter school zones where homes within your price range are more likely to be available for sale.

If you cannot find what you can find anything you like within your price range in the Pope and/or Lassiter zones in East Cobb, then you should probably go ahead and extend your search to areas like Kennesaw and Woodstock.

Old 01-20-2020, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to look in East Cobb first. Some of the areas that I like in Kennesaw seem farther out (based on the Redfin mileage estimates) than in East Cobb, and I do want to be close to those stores.

Old 01-22-2020, 01:26 PM

93 posts, read 83,009 times
You didn't mention schools so look South instead of East. Sprouts is on the corner of East-West Connector and South Cobb drive and there is the Silver Comet trail almost parallel to it. You will also be somewhat close to Smyrna's downtown market village and maybe 4 or 5 miles from Marietta's larger downtown for better food options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta