Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2020, 02:07 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,024,404 times

Advertisements

I live in Clayton where my parents first bought the home I now live in.I went to Morrow High school my senior year. I moved from middle Georgia so I remember as a teenager how big the school seemed to me but it was just a box. I had no idea they had planned to move and build a new Morrow High within a mile of my house. The design and location is breathtaking.
I noticed a lot of road widening ,a new police precinct,animal control center and Senior Citizen Center in the area where much of the housing is relatively new.Having being built within the last 10 years.
Sidewalks are everywhere as the roads are relatively new but not enough retail or shopping as of yet. I can see its an obvious trend where a lot fo the counties growth is focused on that end. Also its a ti county area where Dekalb and Henry meet with Clayton.
My parents moved out over 10 years ago and I now own the home where I split my residence when Im in the area.
Clayton is actually doing some great things and I feel like its working as I see young diverse people moving in.The design of the high school tells me that the county is trying to escape its negative image. They have been building major trails like a Beltline and really focusing on quality of life. Its not a wealthy county but im pleased with the direction ist been going.I had intended moving back in town but Im actually kinda of enjoying the area I live in as my property values have consistently gone up.

https://www.news-daily.com/multimedi...b53d571bf.html
https://www.aiaga.org/design-award/morrow-high-school/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2020, 05:21 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Wow, that is beautiful!

Old 05-06-2020, 10:25 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Despite all the criticism and controversy CCPS have gone through over the past 20 years, they have always built amazing facilities — most likely thanks to airport money. They rebuilt Jonesboro a coouple years ago thought I’ve never seen it. A total redo of Forest Park HS is past due and would be amazing I’m sure. Does anybody know if that’s in the works?

Old 05-07-2020, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Despite all the criticism and controversy CCPS have gone through over the past 20 years, they have always built amazing facilities — most likely thanks to airport money. They rebuilt Jonesboro a coouple years ago thought I’ve never seen it. A total redo of Forest Park HS is past due and would be amazing I’m sure. Does anybody know if that’s in the works?
Its not airport money
They passed a SPLOST to do Jonesbooro,Morrow and several schools. They renovated Forest park a couple of years ago.
This part of the county is where most of the new development is.From Lovejoy to Lake Spivey to 138 through Stockbridge to Ellenwood.
The SPLOST was also passed to extend Clayton CONNECTS to now 6 miles of trails. Thats what currently the size of the Beltline is.
Its the only trail in the South metro Atlanta area .I went for the first time a couple of days ago and was really impressed. It was mostly shaded and there were many people using it of all ages.
It goes through Lake Spivey Country Club as well as the Clayton International Park which is undergoing some major expansions
This is the new recreation center at the park:
Quote:
The $11 million, 32,000-square-foot facility will feature a zero-depth entry salt water pool, cardio and resistance training exercise equipment, a multi-purpose room, a rock climbing wall, play areas and an indoor café.
be funded through the Special Purpose Local Option Tax (SPLOST).

Quote:
The Master Plan will also identify specific park renovations that will be funded through SPLOST. The total cost
and construction schedule are pending the finalization of the Master Plan. Other International Park
improvements will include:

Walking & Biking Trails
Nassau Building Renovation
New Entrance
New Water Park with Pools, Splash Pad. Lazy River, Wave Runner, Kiddie Pool, etc.
Pavilions and Cabanas overlooking the Water Park and new Water feature w/Fountains
Food Truck Area
Boardwalk
Party Deck
New Dog Park
Play Ground with New Equipment
A Sky Walk Adventure Climbing
Throughout construction, the 180-acre park will continue to have areas that will remain open to the public for summer enjoyment. These areas include green space for picnicking or casual sports and paths for walking or bicycling. Pavilions available for rent include the Aruba, St. Thomas and St. Vincent. For safety purposes, the St. Kitts, St. Martin and St. John Pavilions will be closed to the public during renovation construction.

Since 2004, the Clayton County Board of Commissioners have used the one-cent SPLOST for countywide improvements. Learn more about SPLOST and our Progress for Pennies Projects at www.claytonsplost.com.
International Park SPLOST Project Update – Clayton County Parks

Old 05-08-2020, 10:06 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,741,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Forest Park was newly renovated when I first attended as a freshman in 2014. It was a huge deal and though I had never seen it, I heard stories of rats and roaches all over before the renovation. Clayton doesn't usually build new facilities, unlike Fulton and APS. They always go the renovation route.

Old 05-09-2020, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Forest Park was newly renovated when I first attended as a freshman in 2014. It was a huge deal and though I had never seen it, I heard stories of rats and roaches all over before the renovation. Clayton doesn't usually build new facilities, unlike Fulton and APS. They always go the renovation route.
That may have been true in the past but in the last 10 years thats not been the case. Not to mention considering it was less than 10 years we had a recession that coincided with the county loosing its accreditation Forest Park was just a basic renovation. Its nothing special and it looks average.
Charles Drew High School and Elite Scholars Academy were built in 2009.That not including lower level school grades
Joneboro is almost a complete redo.They actually are tearing down a large part but also expanding quite a bit.
Its nice too and way better than FP but not anywhere as near nice as the new Morrow campus which is right next door to a new East Clayton that was completed over 8 months ago

Old 05-09-2020, 05:57 AM

840 posts, read 2,085,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleverOne View Post
That may have been true in the past but in the last 10 years thats not been the case. Not to mention considering it was less than 10 years we had a recession that coincided with the county loosing its accreditation Forest Park was just a basic renovation. Its nothing special and it looks average.
Charles Drew High School and Elite Scholars Academy were built in 2009.That not including lower level school grades
Joneboro is almost a complete redo.They actually are tearing down a large part but also expanding quite a bit.
Its nice too and way better than FP but not anywhere as near nice as the new Morrow campus which is right next door to a new East Clayton that was completed over 8 months ago
Drove past Jonesboro yesterday because I am looking at houses in the area. The have torn a large portion of the school down. I know its going to look nice.

The new Morrow is going to be a really nice school. Forest Park renos are nice. Drew High is absolutely a behemoth, Riverdale got some really nice renos and looks almost totally different.

I graduated from Mount Zion in '07, we got a second floor built on one of the halls. I know the school is young and smaller compared to most of ClayCo but I can't wait for my school to be renovated fully.

Old 05-09-2020, 06:13 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
...The SPLOST was also passed to extend Clayton CONNECTS to now 6 miles of trails. Thats what currently the size of the Beltline is.
Its the only trail in the South metro Atlanta area...
That's incorrect.

Peachtree City / Senoia / Tyrone has golf cart paths, while Newnan has the LINC.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citidata18 View Post
That's incorrect.

Peachtree City / Senoia / Tyrone has golf cart paths, while Newnan has the LINC.
I thought I was clear when I posted the link that this was a PATH FOUNDATION collaborative project with Clayton County.
The entire project in Clayton is expected to be 112 miles and will connect to College Park system which in turn connects to the Beltline. Currently its about 6 miles. Thats about how long the Beltline is currently.
There are even more trails already even in Clayton County like the City of Morrow and Jester Creek Path that are totally different than the Clayton Connects system but they master plan will connect them all. So yes I now there are other trails but that wasnt what I was referring to

So its not so much a trail as it is a means to connect not only one city but with other communities in the county as well as far beyond outside of the county into the city of Atlanta .
LINC and those trails in Fayette are totally contained in their respective communities. LINC is only 1.4 miles currently and is not a part of the PATH system. It will only be 26 miles of trail connecting only Newnan when its fully built out.

There are no other paths like this in the South metro that are a part of a larger system. Many cities have trails but not apart of a larger system.
Those trails in Fayette are connected just in that areas and largely for the golf carts.The only part for golf cart use on the Clayton Connects system is the area around Lake Spivey Country Club.
This eventual connectivity across Clayton and to the Beltline is what makes this different and unique

Old 05-10-2020, 07:37 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,696,736 times
Quote:
So its not so much a trail as it is a means to connect not only one city but with other communities in the county as well as far beyond outside of the county into the city of Atlanta.
Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta