Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2020, 06:24 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,967,612 times

Advertisements

I'm so happy that one of our most homely intown thoroughfares has received new Mast-arm poles from the Wendy's/ Mama's restaurants all the way to Pharr Rd!!!!

If you could do only one thing to help an ugly street look a little better this would be my top pick.

For me, every regulatory sign and street name sign....everything even the utility poles represent the city that you're in.

Their condition and appearance connotes so much about a city or town, whether or not people notice.

Because America's states all have more or less the same standards to abide by for streets and roads, there is a natural ranking that takes place even if subliminal.

This ugly but efficient road now looks so much better with these new signal poles.

I pestered Public Works for years to replace the hanging street names over each intersection that were faded and unreadable.

I got them to replace signs over every intersection from Ponce all the way to Sidney Marcus Blvd.

Several intersections got a new sign only in one direction though, and of course the crews never bothered to report or return to replace the sign in the other direction.

I wonder why Peachtree Rd, Atlanta's signature street, got new wire-hung signals and Piedmont got these, though I'm pleased because Piedmont was in more need of help.

My plate from 2014 has the previous font and is marginally acceptable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2020, 08:13 AM

11,944 posts, read 8,164,629 times
I noticed this too when I came here last week (and this week). I've also noticed several other suburban areas also getting them. It looks like the metro is finally ramping up on uniform infrastructure.

On a side note. Does anyone else think that the left lane on Piedmont Rd is pretty much next to useless for thru cars given all the left turns? I was wondering what would happen if they removed the median and installed a center left turn suicide lane, then shift the adjacent lanes closer to the center and install a bike lane on both sides of the street guarded by pylons?

Old 05-14-2020, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I noticed this too when I came here last week (and this week). I've also noticed several other suburban areas also getting them. It looks like the metro is finally ramping up on uniform infrastructure.

On a side note. Does anyone else think that the left lane on Piedmont Rd is pretty much next to useless for thru cars given all the left turns? I was wondering what would happen if they removed the median and installed a center left turn suicide lane, then shift the adjacent lanes closer to the center and install a bike lane on both sides of the street guarded by pylons?
Well, first off as a off-on long time resident of Atlanta, most people know that you can easily drive over that slightly-raised median on Piedmont without any problem.

This road is concrete also, I don't know if that means it won't ever get resurfaced or not.

Whether or not you will get pulled by an Atlanta cop who see you do it, I don't know.

Your comment has one word that I disagree with..."Uniform".

Now California is definitely uniform with their signals, though there are a few on span-wire in the Bay Area.

Atlanta metro has every different style poles imaginable, some arched, some fat, some skinny, some that are a truss.

Every county and township does their own thing. Dekalb's are too skinny. Cumberland area has nice signals...
Buckhead's Peachtree Blvd. by Lenox are awesome...

But even these new ones along piedmont aren't consistent, and a few are the California-arc shape for some reason.

I contacted the owners of Windsor at Morningside Apts. to see if they supported my trying to get public works to replace what looks like a temporary, sagging clothesline holding sideways signals, and they said they would chip to pay for the poles.

Each pole costs about $16,000 and civil engineers have to submit drawings for proper aiming and placement of the lights.

I tried to find info on the ones along Memorial Dr. to help convince Public Works to replace this ugly one in front of Sprouts, but I was unsuccessful. I may try again,

And then names of the streets hanging over intersections? Public Works must threaten employees of termination if they match other similar signs.

They have 15 different designs for these signs, as if it's a good thing.

What you want for an international city is absolute consistency of signage much like California and NYC.

Not putting your own unique signature on every sign.

But I'm happy that these are improving the Piedmont corridor.

Old 05-14-2020, 09:29 AM

Okay Mr.Specific

Old 05-15-2020, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Okay Mr.Specific
I don't why I love this stuff which the general public couldn't care less about.

Old 05-16-2020, 01:49 AM

5,845 posts, read 6,180,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I'm so happy that one of our most homely intown thoroughfares has received new Mast-arm poles from the Wendy's/ Mama's restaurants all the way to Pharr Rd!!!!

If you could do only one thing to help an ugly street look a little better this would be my top pick.

For me, every regulatory sign and street name sign....everything even the utility poles represent the city that you're in.

Their condition and appearance connotes so much about a city or town, whether or not people notice.

Because America's states all have more or less the same standards to abide by for streets and roads, there is a natural ranking that takes place even if subliminal.

This ugly but efficient road now looks so much better with these new signal poles.

I pestered Public Works for years to replace the hanging street names over each intersection that were faded and unreadable.

I got them to replace signs over every intersection from Ponce all the way to Sidney Marcus Blvd.

Several intersections got a new sign only in one direction though, and of course the crews never bothered to report or return to replace the sign in the other direction.

I wonder why Peachtree Rd, Atlanta's signature street, got new wire-hung signals and Piedmont got these, though I'm pleased because Piedmont was in more need of help.

My plate from 2014 has the previous font and is marginally acceptable.
Pics?

Quote:
I don't why I love this stuff which the general public couldn't care less about.
You nerd out and the city gets a little better. Everybody wins.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:43 AM

I do applaud the mast signals, I've been waiting for Atlanta metro to install more of them.

Old 05-16-2020, 03:00 PM

32,040 posts, read 36,939,250 times
Quote:
Well, first off as a off-on long time resident of Atlanta, most people know that you can easily drive over that slightly-raised median on Piedmont without any problem.
You can drive over it but you can sure as heck get a ticket for it. And that Krystal is not easy to get in and out of in the first place.

Old 05-16-2020, 04:32 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,180,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You can drive over it but you can sure as heck get a ticket for it. And that Krystal is not easy to get in and out of in the first place.

You should have gotten a ticket for going to Krystal.

Old 05-16-2020, 05:35 PM

Apparently these new unfinished or stainless mast0-arm poles are going up in other places such as Freedom Parkway and Spring Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta