Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2020, 04:11 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times

Advertisements

Continuation from this thread.

Here's where we are so far: The DA of Fulton County, Paul Howard, has charged the two officers in question, including the one who shot and killed Rayshard Brooks with felony murder. He also says that one of the officers has flipped and agreed to testify for the state, but apparently this is in dispute.

I would like to note that everything that Mr. Howard said is now a matter of public record, as are all claims from Brooks' family's attorney, plus any statements put out from the officers or their attorneys. I say, let's get all the facts out there, let's let these officers have the trial that they deserve, and let's let justice be served.

Last edited by toll_booth; 06-17-2020 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Two, not three. Silly me.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:14 PM

2,074 posts, read 1,353,338 times
modcutNow the GBI has tweeted this:

https://twitter.com/GBI_GA/status/1273367047586668544

What on earth is going on here?

Last edited by Beretta; 06-17-2020 at 06:56 PM.. Reason: that was cleared up

Old 06-17-2020, 04:18 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,505 times
Evidently the Atlanta PD is walking off the job and going on strike

Old 06-17-2020, 04:24 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,159,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
Evidently the Atlanta PD is walking off the job and going on strike
modcut

Also, from my OP:

"Rolfe, the officer who shot and killed Brooks, had several citizen complaints on his disciplinary record, all with notes that no action was taken, according to records released by the Atlanta Police Department.

He was also the subject of a 2016 use-of-force complaint that resulted in a written reprimand in 2017, the records show."

He had a track record, too.

Last edited by Beretta; 06-17-2020 at 06:57 PM.. Reason: not allowed

Old 06-17-2020, 04:26 PM

CNN now reporting that Devin Brosnan will NOT be a witness against Garrett Rolfe.

GBI also says their investigation is ongoing and they had no notice that the Fulton County DA was going to announce charges.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:29 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,367,834 times
So how will police officers be trained to deal with people who aggressively resit arrest,steal their taser,and then runs away with the taser that they could use against someone? That officer needed to get that taser back.

Old 06-17-2020, 04:34 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,301,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
CNN now reporting that Devin Brosnan will NOT be a witness against Garrett Rolfe.

GBI also says their investigation is ongoing and they had no notice that the Fulton County DA was going to announce charges.
NO notice?!! I mean he did say in several press conferences he would likely announce Wednesday

Old 06-17-2020, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BELMO45 View Post
NO notice?!! I mean he did say in several press conferences he would likely announce Wednesday
Howard likely didn’t directly tell the GBI. He clearly wanted his version out there before the GBI’s. Wonder why?

Old 06-17-2020, 04:46 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,057,844 times
Quote:
So how will police officers be trained to deal with people who aggressively resit arrest,steal their taser,and then runs away with the taser that they could use against someone? That officer needed to get that taser back.
That's a good question. Also, it seems to have been lost in the reporting... he clearly fired the taser at the officers.

And that could actually work against them. Because they way I understand it, police can shoot someone if they feel their life is in imminent danger, or if the perpetrator could harm the public. If someone is running around with a stolen police taser, I think it's pretty easy to argue that person is a threat to the public. However, someone carrying around a spent taser is likely less of a threat.

It's all Monday morning quarterbacking. What would you do if you were armed with a gun and some guy was shooting a taser at you? Common sense dictates you might fire that weapon. Of course, police have training a normal citizen doesn't have.

I would think an internal investigation to determine whether murder charges should be brought would have been a more logical first step. But I'm not a lawyer, so what do I know?

Old 06-17-2020, 04:52 PM

29 posts, read 12,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
That's a good question. Also, it seems to have been lost in the reporting... he clearly fired the taser at the officers.

And that could actually work against them. Because they way I understand it, police can shoot someone if they feel their life is in imminent danger, or if the perpetrator could harm the public. If someone is running around with a stolen police taser, I think it's pretty easy to argue that person is a threat to the public. However, someone carrying around a spent taser is likely less of a threat.

It's all Monday morning quarterbacking. What would you do if you were armed with a gun and some guy was shooting a taser at you? Common sense dictates you might fire that weapon. Of course, police have training a normal citizen doesn't have.

I would think an internal investigation to determine whether murder charges should be brought would have been a more logical first step. But I'm not a lawyer, so what do I know?

The one thing about the spent taser though. Is any cop doing math in their head during a stressful situation? For example a six shooter revovler. I know I wouldnt be able to count how many shots a suspect has left after shooting at me. But ya everthing u said is spot on
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta