Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2008, 07:31 PM

8 posts, read 21,044 times

Advertisements

My wife and I, along with our 2 large dogs will be relocating to the greater Atlanta area in the next 2 months. We have budgeted up to $200,000 to buy a house and we want to make sure that we make the best choice as we have no interest in moving for a 5th time in 5 years. I have the luxury of working mainly from home and my wife is a vet tech so we have the whole city metropolitan area open to us as an option. I want to set some parameters to give you all a better idea of what we are looking for.

Wants:
-Most house for money
-Close to Restaurants, Shopping, Fitness, Activities
-Safety (I don't want to worry everytime my wife takes the dogs for a walk)
-Minimal daily congestion (I understand...it is ATL and will be bad during rush hour)

So what is the best place to move and why?
1) Northeast (Duluth, Suwanee, Buford area)
2) Northwest (Marietta, Kennesaw, Acworth area)
3) North (Roswell, Alpharetta)
4) Southwest (Peachtree City, Newnan, Fayetteville area)

Thank you all for your feedback. We greatly appreciate your opinions!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2008, 07:51 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
I appreciate your well-stated objectives, more than you will ever know.

Wants:
-Most house for money
-Close to Restaurants, Shopping, Fitness, Activities
-Safety (I don't want to worry everytime my wife takes the dogs for a walk)
-Minimal daily congestion (I understand...it is ATL and will be bad during rush hour)

So what is the best place to move and why?
1) Northeast (Duluth, Suwanee, Buford area)

There are a number of previous threads comparing the communities in this part of Gwinnett and Forsyth counties. Forsyth is among the top 10 counties in the US, IIRC, better communities/quality of life and potential for growth.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/atlan...t-suwanee.html
Lake Lanier is located in this area and its a family oriented community certain to need those with veterinary skills. Gwinnett has a lot of parks/recreation areas which the dogs should enjoy. You can easily head north to enjoy the trails in several state parks.

You can click 'Search' at the top of the forum and then 'advanced search' and enter relevant key words to find more specific real estate FYI.

good luck

Old 05-02-2008, 09:22 PM

32 posts, read 96,978 times
McC:

What is your preference on the age? It is possible to get new in this price range, and it's always possi ble to get resales in this range.

For the mopst bang for the buck, generally the farther out, the better. I reside in Forsyth County and really like it up here. Lake Lanier, Mountains, green spaces, excellent schools and 55 minutes from a Braves game, or the airport.

Take a look at this neighborhood and see what you think of the $200k homes in here. If you need more, let me know. Thanks,

McCance

Old 05-03-2008, 11:00 AM

8 posts, read 21,044 times
Default Age of Home

mccance:

I don't have a preference on the age of the home per say. My only concern on new homes is that a lot of times builders take no consideration of the landscape and they completely level the earth to cram as many homes as possible into a development. I am not a fringe environmentalist or anything, but I do appreciate the beauty and character that trees and nature add to a neighborhood. This usually steers me toward established neighborhoods of 10+ years of age. Thank you for the link by the way.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:38 PM

3,615 posts, read 7,781,195 times
I think it all depends on where you are going to work. There are usually areas like you are looking all over the metro. I think you'll get more of what you are looking for in the Northern metro right now (Cartersville, Woodstock, Dallas, Dawson, Lawrenceville, etc), but there are even some areas in the South metro (Sandtown). I think what you'll run into in these areas is horrible commutes to Atlanta. So, unless you'll want to find jobs nearby. I'd search for jobs in Canton, Kennesaw Town Center, Alpharetta, Duluth, Gainesville, and other areas outside the perimeter and see what you can find.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta