Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2020, 07:57 AM

240 posts, read 130,040 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't just think... I can actually PROVE that list of cities is complete BUNK.

Ever heard of a little genre collectively known as EDM?

I'm cool if you want to leave it off a list... but to have a list that includes both Detroit (birthplace of techno) and Chicago (birthplace of house) and not include their importance to that genre, you're complete bunk. End of story.

PLUS...

OMG, look how many lists I can find that don't mention Atlanta at all.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/d...-music-cities/

https://blog.songtrust.com/ten-great...n-music-cities

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/t...ies-in-the-us/

https://www.tripsavvy.com/top-music-...states-3301134

https://flypaper.soundfly.com/tips/1...tle-or-austin/
Agreed, I don't think Atlanta can hold a candle to any of these cities when it comes to music especially Nashville, and Omaha holds its own for its size. Atlanta may produce hip hop but that audience is usually limited to inner cities. Nashville's music represents more true America.

Last edited by NashvilleIsLife; 09-01-2020 at 09:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2020, 08:51 AM

163 posts, read 138,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleIsLife View Post
Agreed, I don't think Atlanta can hold a candle to any of these cities when it comes to music especially Nashville, and Omaha holds it's own for its size. Atlanta may produce hip hop but that audience is usually limited to inner cities. Nashville's music represents more true America.

Could you be a little clearer about what "true America" is supposed to mean here? Also, didn't many musical genres get their start (or at least came into their own) in urban areas?

Old 09-01-2020, 10:20 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,354,026 times
Lot of people in the film and music industry fleeing Los Angeles and moving to Nashville permanently. Nashville certainly has a much more diverse music scene than Atlanta has. Atlanta's music scene isn't very diverse and the hip hop that has been coming out the last 10 years is mostly auto tune garbage devoid of any character it is bland and all sounds the same. Plenty of artists and groups have recorded albums and songs in Atlanta (Tree Sound Studios is where several alternative rock albums were recorded in the 1990's and very early 2000's) none of those groups have any connection to Atlanta other than flying in to record an album and going home.

Last edited by ronricks; 09-01-2020 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-01-2020, 11:06 AM

9,818 posts, read 7,937,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Lot of people in the film and music industry fleeing Los Angeles and moving to Nashville permanently.
More people in film are moving here than Nashville from L.A. Their film industry is miniscule in comparison.

Quote:
Nashville certainly has a much more diverse music scene than Atlanta has. Atlanta's music scene isn't very diverse and the hip hop that has been coming out the last 10 years is mostly auto tune garbage devoid of any character it is bland and all sounds the same. Plenty of artists and groups have recorded albums and songs in Atlanta (Tree Sound Studios is where several alternative rock albums were recorded in the 1990's and very early 2000's) none of those groups have any connection to Atlanta other than flying in to record an album and going home.
This is nothing more than your very subjective opinion.

Old 09-01-2020, 01:02 PM

1,376 posts, read 929,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
Lot of people in the film and music industry fleeing Los Angeles and moving to Nashville permanently. Nashville certainly has a much more diverse music scene than Atlanta has. Atlanta's music scene isn't very diverse and the hip hop that has been coming out the last 10 years is mostly auto tune garbage devoid of any character it is bland and all sounds the same. Plenty of artists and groups have recorded albums and songs in Atlanta (Tree Sound Studios is where several alternative rock albums were recorded in the 1990's and very early 2000's) none of those groups have any connection to Atlanta other than flying in to record an album and going home.
Famous Atlanta musicians:

John Mayer
Gladys Knight
James Brown
Migos
The Black Crowes
T.I.
R.E.M
Donald Glover (Childish Gambino)
TLC
Ludacris
Outkast
Arrested Development
Monica
Usher
Jermaine Dupri
Ciara
Xscape
CeeLo Green and Goodie Mob
Killer Mike
Gucci Mane
Kris Kross
Young Jeezy
21 Savage
Young Thug
Soulja Boy
Bubba Sparxx
Lil John

And there are many others with artists like Cardi B who live here now. Worldwide pop culture, radio play, Atlanta musicians are a lot more influential than Nashville artists.

Old 09-01-2020, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Famous Atlanta musicians:

John Mayer
Gladys Knight
James Brown
Migos
The Black Crowes
T.I.
R.E.M
Donald Glover (Childish Gambino)
TLC
Ludacris
Outkast
Arrested Development
Monica
Usher
Jermaine Dupri
Ciara
Xscape
CeeLo Green and Goodie Mob
Killer Mike
Gucci Mane
Kris Kross
Young Jeezy
21 Savage
Young Thug
Soulja Boy
Bubba Sparxx
Lil John

And there are many others with artists like Cardi B who live here now. Worldwide pop culture, radio play, Atlanta musicians are a lot more influential than Nashville artists.
You forgot the B52's and the Indigo Girls.

I guess I just dated myself.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:08 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,185,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NashvilleIsLife View Post
Agreed, I don't think Atlanta can hold a candle to any of these cities when it comes to music especially Nashville, and Omaha holds its own for its size. Atlanta may produce hip hop but that audience is usually limited to inner cities. Nashville's music represents more true America.
The Hip-hop audience is limited to inner cities? Have you been in isolation for the last 30 years?

Old 09-01-2020, 03:29 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
If you want to get technical, the B-52s, Indigo Girls and R.E.M are not from Atlanta.

They're from Athens.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
If you want to get technical, the B-52s, Indigo Girls and R.E.M are not from Atlanta.

They're from Athens.
I have a good friend that went to Shamrock High School with both of the Indigo Girls, and they were also the founders of the now gone Watershed Restaurant. If I'm not mistaken, they got their start at Eddie's Attic on the Square in Decatur. They're from Atlanta.

Old 09-01-2020, 03:50 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,060,376 times
My bad. You are correct about that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta