Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2009, 06:16 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
I must sound like a broken record. There are several schools that Lawrenceville feeds into. Brookwood - great
Grayson - great
Archer (New) - great
Mountianview (New) great
Peachtree ridge great.
Dacula - great
Not sure how these areas in Lawrenceville which feed into these are "declining"

Now - The parts you should avoid - Central Gwinnett and Berkmar school clusters. And believe it or not, parts of Central Gwinnett (off Sugarloaf) are extremely nice.
Good and accurate post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2009, 07:14 PM

42 posts, read 98,785 times
There is no need to advise people to avoid Lawrenceville. It's a pretty big area with a few zip codes and there are many nice, peaceful neighborhoods there. There is also a terrific town center, parks and many really good schools. The above list is an example but there are a lot of quiet, family friendly areas in the Central Gwinnett school cluster as well.

And what is wrong with more minorities are moving in? Is it guaranteed that more crime will follow? The majority are decent, law abiding people, it shouldn't matter what races your neighbors are. In fact, diversity should be embraced.

Old 12-25-2009, 06:58 AM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noiren View Post
There is no need to advise people to avoid Lawrenceville. It's a pretty big area with a few zip codes and there are many nice, peaceful neighborhoods there. There is also a terrific town center, parks and many really good schools. The above list is an example but there are a lot of quiet, family friendly areas in the Central Gwinnett school cluster as well.

And what is wrong with more minorities are moving in? Is it guaranteed that more crime will follow? The majority are decent, law abiding people, it shouldn't matter what races your neighbors are. In fact, diversity should be embraced.
*sigh* same old fight, different day.

You are absolutely correct. Lawrenceville is a fantastic community, oft described negatively by people who don't come here, or don't like 'certain' people. The crime here is very low, lots of safe neighborhoods and parks, great shopping. We are 10 minutes from Gwinnett Place, downtown Lawrenceville, Discover Mills, and Avenue at Webb Gin. We are about 20 minutes from the Mall of Ga.
There are however, a lot of apartments in the city of Lawrenceville. With that, comes a different set of people than those that inhabit the neighborhoods surrounding the city. Not all of them are bad, in fact, the vast majority are hardworking families.
Again, as mrkb stated, it really goes by school cluster here. The only really undesirable one is Berkmar. Central Gwinnett is still a great, diverse school. It still ranks quite high with all the other Gwinnett schools.
I hope this helps and welcome!

Old 12-25-2009, 09:51 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericsonga View Post

You are absolutely correct. Lawrenceville is a fantastic community, oft described negatively by people who don't come here, or don't like 'certain' people. The crime here is very low, lots of safe neighborhoods and parks, great shopping. We are 10 minutes from Gwinnett Place, downtown Lawrenceville, Discover Mills, and Avenue at Webb Gin. We are about 20 minutes from the Mall of Ga.
There are however, a lot of apartments in the city of Lawrenceville. With that, comes a different set of people than those that inhabit the neighborhoods surrounding the city. Not all of them are bad, in fact, the vast majority are hardworking families.
Again, as mrkb stated, it really goes by school cluster here. The only really undesirable one is Berkmar. Central Gwinnett is still a great, diverse school. It still ranks quite high with all the other Gwinnett schools.

Another good and accurate post.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:00 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Great message!

Quote:

Old 12-26-2009, 10:27 PM

316 posts, read 655,006 times
Take in these words "avoid clayton county"....

Old 12-27-2009, 09:41 AM

719 posts, read 1,698,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbfam9 View Post
My family is relocating to the Atlanta metro area soon. Are there any rapidly declining areas we should avoid?
On Christmas Eve I stopped off to grab some bottled water at a convenience store in Buckhead, just blocks from where a decade ago you would regularly see hordes of college students and 20-somethings partying at weekends where they would pour into the streets, making the area almost look like a mini-Bourbon street. The block where the store sits looked desolate and deserted. When I pulled in, there was a homeless man inspecting the trash in a can in front of the store, who then lingered as though he was waiting to accost me when I got out. I actually hesitated for a moment to even get out.

For someone who grew up in Atlanta, it was a really strange experience to actually feel unsafe in Buckhead, which has always symbolized Atlanta affluence at its purest.

So parts of Buckhead would have to be included in any discussion of declining areas in Atlanta.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:55 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,975,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
On Christmas Eve I stopped off to grab some bottled water at a convenience store in Buckhead, just blocks from where a decade ago you would regularly see hordes of college students and 20-somethings partying at weekends where they would pour into the streets, making the area almost look like a mini-Bourbon street. The block where the store sits looked desolate and deserted. When I pulled in, there was a homeless man inspecting the trash in a can in front of the store, who then lingered as though he was waiting to accost me when I got out. I actually hesitated for a moment to even get out.

For someone who grew up in Atlanta, it was a really strange experience to actually feel unsafe in Buckhead, which has always symbolized Atlanta affluence at its purest.

So parts of Buckhead would have to be included in any discussion of declining areas in Atlanta.
Um, could it be it was desolate and deserted because it was Christmas Eve?? I would NEVER consider Buckhead a declining area of Atlanta. It is still one of the most affluent neighborhoods in not only Atlanta, but the nation. I believe you may have been mistaken.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:25 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
Quote:
Um, could it be it was desolate and deserted because it was Christmas Eve?? I would NEVER consider Buckhead a declining area of Atlanta. It is still one of the most affluent neighborhoods in not only Atlanta, but the nation. I believe you may have been mistaken.
I think it was the day, and not indicative of the area. My college grad son and his friends ( all 20 somethings) still frequent that area.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:34 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,368,320 times
Quote:
Yeah, I have to agree with this.

Real estate in this particular area is sold by the square foot, if that's any indication of the health of this neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta