Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is better - or which do you prefer: East Cobb, Johns Creek, or South Forsyth?
East Cobb 12 41.38%
Johns Creek 10 34.48%
South Forsyth 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2020, 04:53 PM

4,120 posts, read 6,605,436 times

Advertisements

I'm going with S. Forsyth, it's 20 minutes to duluth for lunch & 20 minutes to Alpharetta. Easy access to the mountains.

Low property taxes.

Great schools.

Almost no crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2020, 08:08 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
All three communities named are excellent suburban communities to live in by almost any measure.

Though, I guess this might could be something that potentially could tip the scales in favor of Johns Creek?...

Johns Creek Recreation and Parks Division named state's top agency

Old 11-22-2020, 07:49 AM

338 posts, read 310,633 times
I am assuming one can work remotely, and/or work location does not matter here?

Johns Creek has advantages of being near excellent Asian food options, tons of shopping/the mall, and depending on where you land, the Marta station.

East Cobb and South Forsyth are better for families who want access to good schools. Forsyth is pretty out there, not recommended if one needs to commute downturn for work. East Cobb strikes me as being more white "old money". South Forsyth is lots of Indians/Asians, new development.

All three are extremely car dependent.

I have lived in Forsyth county, Johns Creek, and Cobb (not east Cobb, though). But I'm not going to vote because none of them were a good fit for me, and I now live out of state.

Old 11-22-2020, 02:58 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I caved under pressure

Old 11-22-2020, 04:00 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Ivy View Post
I am assuming one can work remotely, and/or work location does not matter here?

Johns Creek has advantages of being near excellent Asian food options, tons of shopping/the mall, and depending on where you land, the Marta station.

East Cobb and South Forsyth are better for families who want access to good schools. Forsyth is pretty out there, not recommended if one needs to commute downturn for work. East Cobb strikes me as being more white "old money". South Forsyth is lots of Indians/Asians, new development.

All three are extremely car dependent.

I have lived in Forsyth county, Johns Creek, and Cobb (not east Cobb, though). But I'm not going to vote because none of them were a good fit for me, and I now live out of state.
Your comments raise some important points:

That East Cobb definitely has some “white old money” elements to it, particularly in the Chattahoochee Plantation/Atlanta Country Club area and even into the Indian Hills Country Club area.

But the “white old money” element is far from being the only dimension that exists in East Cobb, which actually has some extremely diverse elements, particularly in the areas of East Cobb served by Wheeler and Sprayberry high schools where an overwhelming majority of the students are racial and ethnic minorities.

And just as East Cobb and South Forsyth are really good for families who want access to good schools, Johns Creek is also really good for families who want access to good schools as the schools of the Chattahoochee HS, Northview HS and Johns Creek HS clusters are ranked and regarded as being some of the best public schools in the country south of Virginia.

Also, that is a really good point that Forsyth County may not be the most recommended for commuting to and from jobs in Downtown Atlanta.

But Forsyth County can be a really good option for commuting to the large and growing cluster of jobs in the Alpharetta area, a large cluster of industry that actually spills over from North Fulton County into South Forsyth County along the GA-400 corridor.

Old 03-15-2021, 07:51 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,499,000 times
JOSH
https://s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com/c...-%20090820.pdf

Old 03-15-2021, 09:35 PM

562 posts, read 1,125,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citykid3785 View Post
Full disclosure, I live in East Cobb, but there were reasons why I chose it.

To me, Johns Creek has poor highway access for most of the city, and South Forsyth is far out from the city (feels a bit exurban), and honestly the few times I've been there it was overly busy with weekend traffic.

Pros of East Cobb:

great schools
still reasonably affordable
Hwy 75 is better than highway 85
Proximity to: the battery, DT woodstock/marietta square/canton street/alpharetta, job centers (perimeter, alpha, cumberland, midtown)
safe
retail/restaurants
family oriented
low taxes

Cons:
a little sterile/squeeky clean
Nimby-ism (I can actually appreciate some, it's what keeps it nice, but it's on an extreme end of the spectrum)
lack of parks
I voted for East Cobb for many of the same reasons!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta