Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2010, 06:08 PM

562 posts, read 1,790,121 times

Advertisements

Hi I currently live and work in Newnan, but being young am looking for somwhere closer to the city. Most of my friends live in Buckhead, but I think the 40 min drive each way would be a little much. Anyone have any recommendations for places to live somewhere in between? Price is not an issue, looking for apartments or possibly condo/townhouse at this point. Places that are safe, aka my gf could walk the dog at night without having to worry.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 07:15 PM

16,683 posts, read 29,502,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecuresident View Post
Hi I currently live and work in Newnan, but being young am looking for somwhere closer to the city. Most of my friends live in Buckhead, but I think the 40 min drive each way would be a little much. Anyone have any recommendations for places to live somewhere in between? Price is not an issue, looking for apartments or possibly condo/townhouse at this point. Places that are safe, aka my gf could walk the dog at night without having to worry.

Thanks!

I recommend Historic Downtown College Park and/or Historic Downtown East Point.

Both areas are close to the city, are great for young singles, offer an excellent commute to Newnan, and offer historic main street districts that have many entertainment options for young-ish people like yourself. They are both fairly safe as well.

(They have "nice, in-town, Southern-urban vibes." Close to Newnan without sacrificing the lifestyle you desire.)

*Note: I said "Historic Downtown" College Park and "Historic Downtown" East Point for a reason. Though other parts of both cities are very nice, many areas are still hit and miss. It's important for you to know this. If someone will be assisting you, don't just say interested in "College Park" or "East Point"...you have to be specific to which parts--(historic downtown!).

I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Old 05-24-2010, 11:27 PM

15 posts, read 33,342 times
Northern Fayette (Fayetteville) is pretty nice and is an ok mix between the two. I would reinforce the abovementioned CP and East Point. But like was said, make sure you are specific because (from experience) East Point and College park can be VERY dangerous and spotty. I have noticed that South Atlanta is NOTHING like North Atlanta.

Old 05-25-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_scoop View Post
Northern Fayette (Fayetteville) is pretty nice and is an ok mix between the two. I would reinforce the abovementioned CP and East Point. But like was said, make sure you are specific because (from experience) East Point and College park can be VERY dangerous and spotty. I have noticed that South Atlanta is NOTHING like North Atlanta.
Kinda agree--I wouldn't say, however, "VERY dangerous and spotty" for some other parts of College Park and East Point. Just hit or miss--with some areas more unsafe than others (and some areas extremely nice!).

And to reiterate--Historic Downtown College Park and Historic Downtown East Point are not dangerous. They are both safe--and beautiful, and nice, and vibrant.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:01 PM

128 posts, read 215,117 times
^^^^^^Notice that none of the above mentioned places are in Atl proper....lol

But yeah I would most def recommend historic East Point, or even Hapeville. Nice locales. Anywhere else on the Southside of the Metro, and Id just stay OTP, like in Peachtree City or Fairburn.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:04 PM

128 posts, read 215,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Kinda agree--I wouldn't say, however, "VERY dangerous and spotty" for some other parts of College Park and East Point. Just hit or miss--with some areas more unsafe than others (and some areas extremely nice!).

And to reiterate--Historic Downtown College Park and Historic Downtown East Point are not dangerous. They are both safe--and beautiful, and nice, and vibrant.
Yeah historic EP, College Park, Hapeville, and other parts of the Tri Cities are quite nice, and Tri Cities High School is a great magnet school with an outstanding music program.

But anywhere else, like Washington Rd, Godby Rd, Riverdale, and North Clayton are just plain warzones.

Old 05-25-2010, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
^^^^^^Notice that none of the above mentioned places are in Atl proper....lol

But yeah I would most def recommend historic East Point, or even Hapeville. Nice locales. Anywhere else on the Southside of the Metro, and Id just stay OTP, like in Peachtree City or Fairburn.

Yes--

In addition to Historic Downtown College Park and Historic Downtown East Point, also look into the City of Hapeville (the whole town should suffice).

Old 05-26-2010, 08:36 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,800,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
Yeah historic EP, College Park, Hapeville, and other parts of the Tri Cities are quite nice, and Tri Cities High School is a great magnet school with an outstanding music program.

But anywhere else, like Washington Rd, Godby Rd, Riverdale, and North Clayton are just plain warzones.
There are very nice sections of Riverdale and North Clayton County. I hate to see people categorize that area as a "war zone" when it just IS NOT true. Some areas are, but most aren't.

Clayton will never be like it used to be, and if this myth of a "war zone" is perpetuated it will continue to have the same false reputation.

There are lots of beautiful areas ITP on the southside of Atlanta. Grant Park for one...they definitely aren't all bad.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:20 AM

44 posts, read 270,361 times
What's wrong with Peachtree City, I don't know what OTP means in this context.

Old 05-26-2010, 11:32 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemonkey53 View Post
What's wrong with Peachtree City, I don't know what OTP means in this context.
Peachtree City is a very nice place, but it's also a very long distance from the various resources to be found along the northern arc of the metro area so there's a tradeoff.

OTP means outside of the I-285 loop ... it's a local Atlanta way of talking about the boundary between the City of Atlanta and the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta