Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 PM

206 posts, read 1,013,616 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all (as we say it in Texas ) lol.. I came to the Atl and stayed for about a week last week and was just going to the various places that I asked so many of you all about i,e Cobb County, Douglas County, etc., etc. well I was a little enraged after what I discovered. I was informed by some Real Estate agents to check Douglassville out off Lee Road(it is growing) . So I do as I'm told.. and as I proceeded to the I assume older parts of Douglassville I saw a total of 3 confederate flags hanging from some residents home. And by no means am I prejudice , I believe for whatever reason everyone is entitled to fill a certain way (of course it's not right) but hey, you know ... anyway, I could not believe that I mean geez! and within 200 yards there was a African residing close by.That is Definitely not a Area I plan on going to not even to visit . Now I did go on another end of Douglassville close by Durlee Lane and it was filled with a mixed culture but nawl I 'll pass.O.k. I'm through just passing on that information.. LOL...

Old 05-06-2008, 06:18 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Ironically, during the 1930's (?) release of 'Gone With the Wind' the entire city was filled with such flags - even though the city had a black majority, still no one complained. Not sure why it is just now becoming an issue.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:30 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
Probably because in the 1930s black people could get in trouble with the law, off the books, for making an "issue" out of it. Pre-Civil Rights Era and all that....

I'm FROM the south and I don't like seeing the Confederate Battle Flag. I mean, the Battle Flag was not even the official flag of the Confederacy. It was just a battle flag, one of many, and one that the KKK adapted for it's thematic use.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:32 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Ironically, during the 1930's (?) release of 'Gone With the Wind' the entire city was filled with such flags - even though the city had a black majority, still no one complained. Not sure why it is just now becoming an issue.
Atlanta did not have a black majority in the 1930's. Not even close. Please check your facts before making such statements.

Plus, the American South (and Atlanta) were firmly entrenched in "Jim Crow" during the 1930's.

Atlanta did not reach a black majority until the around the early 1960's (give or take a few years).

*Note: When mentioning Atlanta above, I am still talking about within the city limits.

Last edited by aries4118; 05-06-2008 at 06:54 PM..

Old 05-06-2008, 06:40 PM

563 posts, read 2,773,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslashondapjohnson View Post
Hey y'all (as we say it in Texas ) lol.. I came to the Atl and stayed for about a week last week and was just going to the various places that I asked so many of you all about i,e Cobb County, Douglas County, etc., etc. well I was a little enraged after what I discovered. I was informed by some Real Estate agents to check Douglassville out off Lee Road(it is growing) . So I do as I'm told.. and as I proceeded to the I assume older parts of Douglassville I saw a total of 3 confederate flags hanging from some residents home. And by no means am I prejudice , I believe for whatever reason everyone is entitled to fill a certain way (of course it's not right) but hey, you know ... anyway, I could not believe that I mean geez! and within 200 yards there was a African residing close by.That is Definitely not a Area I plan on going to not even to visit . Now I did go on another end of Douglassville close by Durlee Lane and it was filled with a mixed culture but nawl I 'll pass.O.k. I'm through just passing on that information.. LOL...
Hey there....
When I first moved here, the Confederate flags bothered the h*ll out of me...but the older I get (and maybe because I have too much on my plate)...I really don't care about those flags as long as the people flying them don't burn a cross on my yard, mess with me and mine, or infringe on my rights to say in public that I can't stand the flags. It reminds me of a dark time in our country's history but at the same time, they have the legal right to fly them...*shrug*

And plus...the ones flying the Confederate flag in front of their houses and on their cars are the last ones I'm worried about...

Old 05-06-2008, 06:53 PM

5 posts, read 25,212 times
Yeah, when I first moved to Atlanta from up north, it was shocking to me, to say the least. I used to live in Austell, and traveled along Lee Road often. I think it's becoming more of an issue because more people who were raised up north are moving to the city, and confederate flags are considered highly offensive up there, where down here it can be considered (although I don't agree) as a part of someones heritage.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:05 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,033,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
I'm FROM the south and I don't like seeing the Confederate Battle Flag. I mean, the Battle Flag was not even the official flag of the Confederacy. It was just a battle flag, one of many, and one that the KKK adapted for it's thematic use.
I can see what you mean with the Battle Flag getting negative connotation, but it is the mostly widely recognized symbol. If someone where to fly something like the Stars & Bars, or the Third National Flag, no one would even know what it was.

As a previous poster stated, a lot of issue is now rising from newcomers to the area who have probably never seen the flag in their life. I'm not offended by a flag, and if you are then I can't even imagine what other things you must be sensitive to.

On a final note, this thread is going to get ugly fast - I can already tell this thing will erupt into 10 pages of 'beating the dead horse' style posts.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:13 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,260,766 times
I get offended when men who are not my husband touch me. Does that make me sensitive?

You just made my point. The battle flag had little meaning until the KKK decided to start using it. Now it's suddenly representative of southern heritage?

You know what's representative of southern heritage? Southern food. And southern towns. And southern hospitality.

It's not like the North has something that represents it...

Old 05-06-2008, 07:22 PM

80 posts, read 351,767 times
When I moved to GA at the young age of 10, I was greeted not-so-warmly with the Confederate flag waving in my face, with chants of "Yankee go home!" This was 1979.

I'm a New Yorker of Irish and German descent. It's not a race issue; I'm about as white as one can be. It's a southern pride issue. We all have our backgrounds. Leave it be, it has nothing to do with you whatsoever.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:51 PM

23,464 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I really think that this whole 'stars and bars' thing intensified after the 'changing of the flag' issue a few years ago...I'm a native Atlantan and totally disgusted by it, too...but then GA and Atlanta have operated on separate planes since I can remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta