Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2021, 07:43 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,485,251 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
I’d throw a brick or cinder block through the front or rear windshield. Heck lob a brick and put a huge dent in the car. About 20 years ago a neighbor on our street took a baseball bat to a guy who was stealing lawn equipment. He didn’t steal on our street anymore after that. Sometimes a point needs to be made.
I do understand the feeling of wanting to do such a thing as a way of attempting to discourage illegal street racing and other illegal nuisance and dangerous activities.

But we should be very careful not to encourage people to attempt to engage in vigilante actions that potentially could put themselves and/or others at risk of serious physical harm and/or legal jeopardy.

Many of these illegal street racers are (often illegally) armed with guns (along with their own vehicles, which they seem to be willing to use illegally) and may respond violently if confronted, possibly leading to a dangerous and even deadly situation for all parties involved.

Not to mention the consequences of what may happen if someone experiences serious physical harm or worse if an already-risky altercation with an illegal street racer or a group of illegal street racers gets out of hand.

It may not get the instant results that one understandably may desire, and there still may be some cost involved, but a less physical and legally risky way to deal with the problem potentially might could be for individual residents or groups of residents in a neighborhood to install cameras and submit video evidence of any illegal (and nuisance, dangerous, deadly) street racing acts to the authorities.

It’s better than potentially getting into a very dangerous situation by attempting to in some way physically confront outlaws who may be likely to be armed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2021, 07:57 PM

11,779 posts, read 7,992,594 times
Quote:
You might have to take this into your own hands. Me personally I would look at ways to damage the cars doing this.
Quote:
I’d throw a brick or cinder block through the front or rear windshield. Heck lob a brick and put a huge dent in the car. About 20 years ago a neighbor on our street took a baseball bat to a guy who was stealing lawn equipment. He didn’t steal on our street anymore after that. Sometimes a point needs to be made.
While I definitely don't agree with what they're doing, I'd be careful about citizen deployed retaliation, some of those folks are packing heat. Get them angry and they can quickly become a mob and will retaliate upon the retaliator with force, that happens all the time with bikers... and worse... they'll still get away.

That plus if by some slip of a chance the APD do show up, they could just as well arrest the victims as they could the violators.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 03-14-2021 at 08:07 PM..

Old 03-14-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Looks like the new play is for Buckhead to be annexed by Sandy Springs or Brookhaven each who have their own police and services that are far superior to CoA. Another angle to this is some local politicians claim that Buckhead was illegally annexed by the city way back when making leaving even easier. These aren’t my thoughts I am just the messenger of what I have heard being discussed.
I’ve also been hearing about the idea of Buckhead being annexed into either Sandy Springs or Brookhaven and the angle of arguing that Buckhead was illegally annexed into Atlanta proper back in the early 1950’s, which are definitely creative ideas for attempting to de-annex Buckhead from Atlanta proper.

Though a significant challenge for Buckhead residents with the idea of being annexed into either Sandy Springs or Brookhaven, is that Sandy Springs and Brookhaven may not necessarily be all that enthusiastic about bringing an area like Buckhead and its unique set of problems (the biggest problem being crime and public safety, along with relatively smaller yet still significant issues like zoning and development, etc.) into either of their respective municipal jurisdictions.

Which, I cannot blame Sandy Springs and Brookhaven for not wanting to annex an area like Buckhead into their municipal jurisdictions, if only because Buckhead is a district with a unique set of challenges due to its unique status as a very high-profile highly-affluent community with much commercial development (including retail, restaurants, etc.) that attracts and makes it a major destination for visitors (and target for criminals) from all over the Atlanta metro, the state of Georgia, and much of the U.S.

Residents in less-affluent and more crime-challenged parts of Atlanta proper understandably may not have much sympathy for Buckhead’s crime and public safety challenges, Buckhead’s status as an upscale showcase ‘Uptown’ district that attracts many visitors from various outside areas near and far provides some unique policing challenges.

It’s because of those unique policing and public safety challenges (along with other issues like development and zoning, etc.) that Buckhead likely would need to have its own municipal government in the event that it ever was able to actually secede from the City of Atlanta proper.

Though, attempting to de-annex from Atlanta proper comes with its own unique set of significant (and virtually overwhelming, if not extremely difficult and seemingly insurmountable) challenges that have been discussed on these boards before.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:40 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,352,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
I’ve also been hearing about the idea of Buckhead being annexed into either Sandy Springs or Brookhaven and the angle of arguing that Buckhead was illegally annexed into Atlanta proper back in the early 1950’s, which are definitely creative ideas for attempting to de-annex Buckhead from Atlanta proper.

Though a significant challenge for Buckhead residents with the idea of being annexed into either Sandy Springs or Brookhaven, is that Sandy Springs and Brookhaven may not necessarily be all that enthusiastic about bringing an area like Buckhead and its unique set of problems (the biggest problem being crime and public safety, along with relatively smaller yet still significant issues like zoning and development, etc.) into either of their respective municipal jurisdictions.

Which, I cannot blame Sandy Springs and Brookhaven for not wanting to annex an area like Buckhead into their municipal jurisdictions, if only because Buckhead is a district with a unique set of challenges due to its unique status as a very high-profile highly-affluent community with much commercial development (including retail, restaurants, etc.) that attracts and makes it a major destination for visitors (and target for criminals) from all over the Atlanta metro, the state of Georgia, and much of the U.S.

Residents in less-affluent and more crime-challenged parts of Atlanta proper understandably may not have much sympathy for Buckhead’s crime and public safety challenges, Buckhead’s status as an upscale showcase ‘Uptown’ district that attracts many visitors from various outside areas near and far provides some unique policing challenges.

It’s because of those unique policing and public safety challenges (along with other issues like development and zoning, etc.) that Buckhead likely would need to have its own municipal government in the event that it ever was able to actually secede from the City of Atlanta proper.

Though, attempting to de-annex from Atlanta proper comes with its own unique set of significant (and virtually overwhelming, if not extremely difficult and seemingly insurmountable) challenges that have been discussed on these boards before.

Sandy Springs or Brookhaven taking in Buckhead would provide a huge honey pot of tax money and a tax base to expand their police force and other services. It would be very hard to turn down. If this is is even possible I don't think either would turn down that type of money.

Old 03-15-2021, 03:11 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,403,580 times
They will likely catch a lawsuit because of this. These folks weren't doing anything but sitting in a Sam's parking lot. This is pretty much what I knew would happen... now they're targeting any car groups with certain types of vehicles.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:14 PM

23 posts, read 17,429 times
Problem for them is, signage in and around the parking lot, time of day and the private property element.

Old 03-15-2021, 06:36 PM

558 posts, read 336,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
They will likely catch a lawsuit because of this. These folks weren't doing anything but sitting in a Sam's parking lot. This is pretty much what I knew would happen... now they're targeting any car groups with certain types of vehicles.
People Arrested Street Racing Weekend Bust Say No One Was Racing

Quote:
“They were not street racing. They were doing doughnuts,” said Chelce Johnson, one of the people arrested

Old 03-15-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhornet View Post
Victor Hill has demonstrated time and again during his reign as Clayton County Sheriff that he seemingly has absolutely no fear of lawsuits.

Hill also never misses out on an opportunity for a public relations boost or any opportunity to burnish his reputation as a law-and-order sheriff who is tough on crime while pursuing his long-term goal of attempting to position the Clayton County Sheriff’s Office as the lead law enforcement agency in Clayton County.

(Hill has for years wanted to consolidate the Clayton County Police Department with the Clayton County Sheriff’s Office into one law enforcement agency that would be commanded by the Clayton County Sheriff.)

And with all of the current talk about illegal street racing being a nuisance in metro Atlanta, one should not be the least bit surprised that Hill is taking advantage of an opportunity to look like a tough law-and-order sheriff who is cracking down on crime while advancing the goal of eventual consolidation of the CCPD and CCSO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RecursiveLoop View Post
Problem for them is, signage in and around the parking lot, time of day and the private property element.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
People Arrested Street Racing Weekend Bust Say No One Was Racing

Quote:
“They were not street racing. They were doing doughnuts,” said Chelce Johnson, one of the people arrested
Yep.

It probably doesn’t matter if they might have only just been sitting in the parking lot because they were still sitting in a lot on private property and apparently could still be charged with loitering and possibly even trespassing.

Also, if they were doing doughnuts in that parking lot, doing doughnuts (or even spinning one’s wheels and/or burning rubber while sitting still and/or spinning out of control in any way) seems to be considered “Laying Drag” and seemingly can bring criminal charges under Georgia state law.

Plus, with many of the arrestees saying that they did not appreciate having to march and chant like they were in the military while they were in jail, it appears that those arrestees learned what many in metro Atlanta have already known, which is that Victor Hill (regardless of the numerous inane and just plain asinine controversies he has been at the center of over the last 16 years) runs a tough paramilitary operation at the Clayton County Jail.

Old 03-16-2021, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Sandy Springs or Brookhaven taking in Buckhead would provide a huge honey pot of tax money and a tax base to expand their police force and other services. It would be very hard to turn down. If this is is even possible I don't think either would turn down that type of money.
That is true that taking in Buckhead would provide huge pot of tax money and a tax base were it to be annexed by Sandy Springs or Brookhaven.

But annexing Buckhead would not be as simple as just gaining a huge pot of tax money and a huge tax base.

Annexing Buckhead would also come with an extremely large, extremely domineering and extremely opinionated business community and neighborhood lobbying apparatus that, along with the constant development pressures and unique crime and public safety concerns, likely would make Buckhead a poor candidate to be annexed by neighboring jurisdictions like Sandy Springs or Brookhaven.

Buckhead has been a very politically domineering part of the City of Atlanta proper for almost 70 years and has been a dominant driver in Atlanta’s political scene for decades.

With Buckhead basically being a force unto itself politically and economically, communities like Sandy Springs and Brookhaven likely would be hesitant to absorb a politically and socially domineering area like Buckhead into their jurisdictions for fear that Buckhead would completely politically and socially overwhelm and overrun their existing local political apparatuses.

If crime goes back down and public safety recedes as a major concern, the Buckhead cityhood issue is likely to recede as well and fade as a political issue.

But if crime and public safety and policing continue to be issues, particularly in Buckhead, then I expect the Buckhead cityhood issue to stay alive and maybe possibly even grow some political legs in coming years.

And I expect that crime and public safety (including illegal street racing) and policing will have the potential to become a key issue in the upcoming Atlanta Mayoral Election if these problems with crime and public safety persist.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:38 AM

2,323 posts, read 1,559,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnHarris1 View Post
Video: Atlanta Police arrest street racer at Howell Mill shopping center

The Atlanta Police Department has released helicopter surveillance video of street racers gathering – and the arrest of one of them – in the parking lot of the Howell Mill Square shopping center

The video shows “a small glimpse of some of the activity our officers have to deal with,” APD Public Affairs Officer Sgt. John Chafee said in a March 1 press release..."

https://atlantaintownpaper.com/2021/...opping-center/

SOURCE: John Ruch, Atlanta INtown Newspaper
Man, I feel kind of bad for him getting his car impounded. I liked the Fast and the Furious but I got caught up in a race once coming home from a late shift on Forest Pkwy heading into Riverdale. They were beginning to block the streets off and I dipped out in enough time though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta