Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2021, 02:32 PM

34 posts, read 39,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Roll View Post
Located just inside of the Northwest I-285 Perimeter in southeast Cobb County, Vinings is a largely affluent, yet fairly very diverse inner suburb that provides very good access to lots of high-quality metropolitan amenities on metro Atlanta’s amenity-rich Northside.

... High-quality metropolitan amenities that include Vinings’ small historic village area at and around the intersection of Paces Ferry and Paces Mill roads, the Cumberland area (including Cumberland Mall, the Atlanta Braves’ new Major League Baseball stadium at Truist Park and adjoining popular mixed-use development at The Battery), the popular and beloved Chattahoochee River Valley recreational area, etc.

As of 2019, the racial/ethnic breakdown of Vinings’ population was as follows:
51.6% Non-Hispanic White
32.2% Black
6.6% Asian
6.5% Hispanic
4.4% Multi-racial

Vinings has a sizable population of highly-affluent residents, many of whom may send their children to some of metro Atlanta’s most prestigious private schools.

Ironically, Vinings also has a sizable population of working-class/lower-income transient residents who live in the many, many multi-family (apartment/condominium/townhome) complexes scattered around the 30339 zip code that Vinings is located in.

Vinings also has a sizable population of young professionals who are attracted to the area’s centralized location that is highly convenient to well-paying jobs and loads of metropolitan amenities.

Vinings is served by many of the same public schools that serves the neighboring Smyrna area that is also very popular with well-paid young professional singles and families.

The public schools that serve the Vinings-Smyrna area (or “Smynings” as it is sometimes called) do not feature the same high academic ratings that other parts of the Atlanta suburbs may feature.

But even without the gaudy ratings that some other suburban Atlanta public schools may feature, the public schools that serve the Vinings-Smyrna area have been displaying marked improvement in recent years because of so many young professionals that have been moving into the Vinings/Smyrna area in recent years.
This is wonderful information regarding Vinings and neighboring Smyrna. Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2021, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Pretty much all of the crime issues in Buckhead are happening in the areas that are immediately located along Peachtree, Piedmont and Roswell roads where the district’s retail development is located.

Buckhead’s residential areas are pretty much completely unaffected by the crime issues in the area.

And Buckhead certainly has some snooty and snobbish elements, but most of Buckhead is not snobby, stuck-up and exclusionary. Most people there are outgoing and inclusive as is the case throughout much of the rest of metro Atlanta and North Georgia.

There’s nothing that is really sinister about Milton. But the large amount of wealth and affluence in that particular area can be slightly intimidating to some.

Some good advice to you might could be to rent an upscale apartment in a highly-diverse area with a reputation for an inclusive and well-rounded high-quality public education (like in the Chattahoochee HS or Alpharetta HS clusters in North Fulton County; or in the Wheeler HS or Sprayberry HS clusters in East Cobb; or in the Brookwood HS, Parkview HS or Grayson HS clusters in Gwinnett County) and use it as a base to further explore the greater Atlanta metropolitan area in person before making a final decision on where to make a long-term housing purchase.
noted. thanks again

Old 03-17-2021, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3mamabear View Post
If you want interesting restaurants, cultural events and lots of things to do, you will probably be happiest in one of the intown neighborhoods like Druid Hills, Brookhaven or Decatur. You can get a nice size house for $1 million. The area between Decatur and Brookhaven is the North Druid Hills area, which is more affordable than both Brookhaven and Decatur. You can easily get a brand new 3,800 sf home for $1.1million Check out MLS#:6853601
Thank you so much!

Old 03-17-2021, 04:32 PM

560 posts, read 335,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie1206 View Post
That was not the intention. We have an airbnb inside the perimeter East atlanta village area I believe? For a 35 day rental. We had always planned to head down there with the kids, have our cars sent down and packed PODS shipped and stored in the pods facility while we venture out into the various areas to really get a feel for the different options. I'll be transparent in admitting that the recent uptick in so many of our favorited homes being suddenly under contract/pending did have us panicking & pushed us to put an offer in on a site unseen reno in PTC that was huge and under market value. We lost out to a cash buyer and I think that was probably a blessing in disguise. Ultimately, I'm very much an energy person and need to 'feel' the energy of not only the prospective home but surrounding area as well and neighbors.

We officially 'move' on 4/6. So just a couple more weeks. Trying to maintain my calm and not panic buy/panic offer ---though it's hard.

Thank you for your question and contribution.
Once you arrive, and if you find yourself searching in this area of the southern crescent, please feel free to reach out to me, and the wife and I we will happily show you around PTC. At the very least you will be able to meet and make some new friends upon your arrival. I don’t know how much you will truly know any place by viewing homes and driving through. I had three different AirBNBs, all in the areas I wanted to live while I was house hunting so that I could experience traffic, the look and feel of the city and neighborhood, and to the extent possible, the people in the area. Hopefully you will be able to do much of the same and find a place you will love to call home.

Old 03-17-2021, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoski View Post
Once you arrive, and if you find yourself searching in this area of the southern crescent, please feel free to reach out to me, and the wife and I we will happily show you around PTC. At the very least you will be able to meet and make some new friends upon your arrival. I don’t know how much you will truly know any place by viewing homes and driving through. I had three different AirBNBs, all in the areas I wanted to live while I was house hunting so that I could experience traffic, the look and feel of the city and neighborhood, and to the extent possible, the people in the area. Hopefully you will be able to do much of the same and find a place you will love to call home.
Very appreciated. Thank you!!!

Old 03-19-2021, 09:24 AM

761 posts, read 906,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cparker73 View Post
OP, how important are public schools in your decision? If you can swing private schools, that will open you up to a lot of areas that would give you a demographic where you're in the racial AND economic majority. Unfortunately, areas with concentrated populations of wealthy Black families like Camp Creek, South Fulton and Cascade (outside the Perimeter) aren't that far from low-income areas that feed into the same schools, which brings down the scores, but you'll find housing stock similar to the north side of town at half the price. The upper-income Black families send their kids to Woodward Academy in College Park (like the mayor) or make the 45-minute trek to one of the Buckhead privates (like me).

Atlanta is one of the few cities in the country where you have high-income housing developments comprised solely of African Americans. It's ironic to call out the lack of diversity, but if you're looking for a social scene centered around Black institutions like churches, HBCU alumni groups and Greek organizations, the center of gravity is on the south side of town. Before John Lewis died, it wasn't unusual to see him shopping at the Cascade Publix, and you'll bump into many other Atlanta icons in politics, music, film, sports, and business, which is great exposure for your kids that doesn't involve reading a history book. It may not be what you're looking for, and you will find some chapters of Jack and Jill, Links, 100 Black Men, and Greek organizations in the burbs, but it's those neighborhoods in Southwest that are the original reason for Atlanta's Black Mecca status and that viewpoint doesn't get represented on this forum much.
Great recommendation. I have a few former co-workers that live in this area and love it. One of the families did move to East Cobb when their kids finished elementary school to avoid paying for private schools. Their house sold quickly. The other sends their kids to Woodward Academy.

Old 03-19-2021, 10:04 AM

761 posts, read 906,285 times
Honestly, from where you are coming from in CA with little to no diversity, anywhere in metro Atlanta will be a refreshing change. Even the least diverse areas in metro Atlanta are still 25%-30% minority. In fact, it's easier to find an area 90% African American than 90% white in metro Atlanta. I think Atlanta is one of the most diverse and integrated areas in the country. Finally, if you are staying in East Atlanta, you should also look at the City of Decatur. It has great schools, restaurants, and MARTA access.

Hope you like Peachtree City, but good luck wherever you choose!

Old 03-21-2021, 04:20 PM

Hi Everyone or Anyone who may see this,
Any insight into Fayetteville??? We see a house online we love schools say they're a 9. It's closer to airport which since we work half the time in LA, is great for us. Diversity? Amenities? Lifestyle in the area? Thank you.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:44 PM

10,392 posts, read 11,481,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdie1206 View Post
Hi Everyone or Anyone who may see this,
Any insight into Fayetteville??? We see a house online we love schools say they're a 9. It's closer to airport which since we work half the time in LA, is great for us. Diversity? Amenities? Lifestyle in the area? Thank you.
Overall, Fayetteville is an area that is trending ‘majority-minority,’ with African-Americans and racial/ethnic minorities as a whole being a growing majority of the population, particularly in the Fayetteville 30214 zip code, which makes up the northern half of the Fayetteville mailing area, and is served by the schools of the Fayette County High School cluster of the highly-rated and highly-regarded Fayette County Schools system.

(As of 2019, racial and ethnic minorities made up more than 58% of the population of Fayetteville proper. With the population of Fayetteville proper breaking down as follows: 41.8% White, 40.2% Black, 7.5% Asian, 6% Hispanic, 5% Multi-racial.

Meanwhile, racial and ethnic minorities as a whole made up more than 87% of the student population at Fayette County High School as of October 2020, with black students making up just under 62% of the FCHS student body.)

The Fayetteville 30215 zip code makes up the southern half of the Fayetteville mailing area.

The population in the Fayetteville 30215 zip code (most of which is served by the schools of the Whitewater High School cluster of the Fayette County Schools system) remains majority-white.

(White students made up just over 62% of the student population at Whitewater High School as of October 2020.)

Fayette County as a whole is generally an affluent community (Fayette County as a whole usually ranks either 1st or 2nd in per-capita incomes in the state of Georgia every year).

Fayetteville admittedly is not necessarily as heavy on amenities as other parts of the Atlanta metropolitan area might be, though Fayetteville does have a somewhat reasonably large shopping area
(the Walmart Supercenter/Target/Kohl’s/Home Depot-anchored Fayette Pavilion) off of and between Georgia state routes 85 and 314 on the north side of the city.

Fayetteville also has over the past decade become known for having a thriving Film and Television production scene based out of the large Trilith Studios complex (formerly Pinewood Atlanta Studios) where many blockbuster Disney and Marvel movies are made northwest of the city.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Overall, Fayetteville is an area that is trending ‘majority-minority,’ with African-Americans and racial/ethnic minorities as a whole being a growing majority of the population, particularly in the Fayetteville 30214 zip code, which makes up the northern half of the Fayetteville mailing area, and is served by the schools of the Fayette County High School cluster of the highly-rated and highly-regarded Fayette County Schools system.

(As of 2019, racial and ethnic minorities made up more than 58% of the population of Fayetteville proper. With the population of Fayetteville proper breaking down as follows: 41.8% White, 40.2% Black, 7.5% Asian, 6% Hispanic, 5% Multi-racial.

Meanwhile, racial and ethnic minorities as a whole made up more than 87% of the student population at Fayette County High School as of October 2020, with black students making up just under 62% of the FCHS student body.)

The Fayetteville 30215 zip code makes up the southern half of the Fayetteville mailing area.

The population in the Fayetteville 30215 zip code (most of which is served by the schools of the Whitewater High School cluster of the Fayette County Schools system) remains majority-white.

(White students made up just over 62% of the student population at Whitewater High School as of October 2020.)

Fayette County as a whole is generally an affluent community (Fayette County as a whole usually ranks either 1st or 2nd in per-capita incomes in the state of Georgia every year).

Fayetteville admittedly is not necessarily as heavy on amenities as other parts of the Atlanta metropolitan area might be, though Fayetteville does have a somewhat reasonably large shopping area
(the Walmart Supercenter/Target/Kohl’s/Home Depot-anchored Fayette Pavilion) off of and between Georgia state routes 85 and 314 on the north side of the city.

Fayetteville also has over the past decade become known for having a thriving Film and Television production scene based out of the large Trilith Studios complex (formerly Pinewood Atlanta Studios) where many blockbuster Disney and Marvel movies are made northwest of the city.

thank you for this. the house is in the 30215 zip code if we were to buy there would it feel would it basically feel like what some ppl on here are saying PTC is like regarding diversity? are chances my neighborhood would be majority white? I looked at the elementary assigned to that house and it says under 5% black students. I just want to know if it's do-able considering what we are actually looking for in our search. also the house is listed right under $2mil which seems steep over there? am I correct? thank you again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta