Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2021, 10:34 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,815,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Why move? Can’t you just hang out in town ?
Morrow doesn't have a lot to offer. Also my apartment has roaches. I do hang out in town from time to time, though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2021, 11:30 PM

10,397 posts, read 11,527,832 times
Quote:
Here are some practical and easy ways to meet new people in Atlanta.
9 Ways to Meet New People in Atlanta (The Storage Space)

Old 03-11-2021, 07:44 AM

10,356 posts, read 8,588,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportslover View Post
Morrow doesn't have a lot to offer. Also my apartment has roaches. I do hang out in town from time to time, though
I will say that I see my large group of friends every day in the gym and socialize there and work out together sometimes. I’ll also note that people see me there all the time and note that I know everyone and some have come over and introduced themselves to me because I’m a regular. I think part of it is they see me talking to so many people that it makes them want to get to know me. ThAt never happened to me in California. Maybe Georgia people are just friendlier. Maybe you could find an activity where you can be a regular or a sports bar to go to on a regular basis. Like I said I met a few people at a local sports bar and occasionally hang out with them outside the bar.
I will say I haven’t invited anyone back to my place to hang out.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:09 PM

4,393 posts, read 4,635,371 times
Sorry to hear that OP. When me and my Wife moved to Atlanta(Chamblee to be exact) in our short 2 years we made a lot of friends. Actually was surprised how friendly people were. Now of course that probably had something to do with the business we were in. We had to go to a lot of social settings and network. But network turned into real friendships. Still friends with people in Atlanta to this day.

Old 03-12-2021, 01:28 PM

10,397 posts, read 11,527,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Sorry to hear that OP. When me and my Wife moved to Atlanta(Chamblee to be exact) in our short 2 years we made a lot of friends. Actually was surprised how friendly people were. Now of course that probably had something to do with the business we were in. We had to go to a lot of social settings and network. But network turned into real friendships. Still friends with people in Atlanta to this day.
This.

The OP very likely needs to join as many social groups as possible and network as much as possible once conditions return to normal and it is safe to do so.

Until things return to normal, maybe the OP can join some social media groups they are interested in and attempt to start building a social network online.

Old 03-17-2021, 02:26 AM

12 posts, read 9,870 times
Default Tennis for friends

The quickest way you can meet friends is to play tennis on ALTA. You can join at your county tennis center. Just start at the C8 level. You can be a brand new beginner. You will meet friends quickly. You will play teams all over Atlanta.

Last edited by 3mamabear; 03-17-2021 at 02:27 AM.. Reason: wrong info

Old 03-18-2021, 11:25 AM

444 posts, read 704,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigup View Post
This is a very bleak view of the metro area and doesn't fit at all with my own experience. The social scene is (or was) just fine intown! And I never found the "old New England" cities that I know to be any more conducive to making friends as a working adult.
I totally agree with this. I find it very easy to meet new people in Atlanta. Even when I visit. New York is about the same....maybe a little tougher. In New York, people seem to be even more guarded and less trustful of outsiders. Once you get through their shell, it's pretty easy. I guess it all depends on your personality and trust level, no matter where you are located.

Old 03-18-2021, 02:32 PM

5,365 posts, read 5,151,342 times
The people in the Suwanee area seem noticeably friendlier than Denver. From what I can tell, it's not necessarily some southern hospitality thing, they're just more interesting in chatting with people than they are working out 8 days a week at crossfit.

There's a lot I like about my spot in Suwanee (like a ride through the park on a bike to work), BUT everyone seems to be either age 15 or 51 whenever I go out in the area... which people hinted to when I asked about the area before I moved. So, any recommendations on areas nearby where more young people congregate? I've heard DT Duluth and Avalon over in Alpharetta?

About the tennis, that sounds fun! Is there some sort of league structure you sign up with?

Old 03-18-2021, 03:04 PM

651 posts, read 477,530 times
What is in Morrow that you are inviting friends out to?

I ask because the I have friends all around and most will meet intown to hang out if they don't already live there.

If you are trying to get someone living in West Midtown or Marietta to meet you at a bar in Morrow that is not a special occasion then yeah, they may pass.

Most people will meet in the middle, but they aren't going to go suburb to suburb unless it's a special event.

Old 03-18-2021, 05:44 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,944,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
The people in the Suwanee area seem noticeably friendlier than Denver. From what I can tell, it's not necessarily some southern hospitality thing, they're just more interesting in chatting with people than they are working out 8 days a week at crossfit.

There's a lot I like about my spot in Suwanee (like a ride through the park on a bike to work), BUT everyone seems to be either age 15 or 51 whenever I go out in the area... which people hinted to when I asked about the area before I moved. So, any recommendations on areas nearby where more young people congregate? I've heard DT Duluth and Avalon over in Alpharetta?

About the tennis, that sounds fun! Is there some sort of league structure you sign up with?
Haven't been out to Duluth yet but Alpharetta (and Roswell) do have more 20s and 30s than Suwanee. Maybe not as much as intown, but when I've been out with friends we definitely aren't the only ones in that age bracket. Problem is it can be hard to actually make inroads and meet those people cause they usual already have their social circles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta