Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2021, 08:46 PM

3 posts, read 2,537 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone!

We are moving to Georgia and looking to rent a house between Athens and DT ATL. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to live? We have looked at Lawrenceville, Loganville, Hoschton, Winder, and Snellville. Where is the best place to be equidistant to Athens and DT ATL? Which offers the best quality of life for an early 30s childless couple who wants to create a new social circle?

Last edited by new_georgia_girl; 03-16-2021 at 09:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2021, 09:03 PM

11,814 posts, read 8,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new_georgia_girl View Post
Hello Everyone!

We are moving to Georgia and looking to rent a house between Athens and DT ATL. Does anyone have any recommendations of where to live? We have looked at Lawrenceville, Loganville, Hoschton, Winder, and Snellville. Where is the best place to be equidistant to Athens and DT ATL? Which offers the best quality of life for an early 30s childless couple who wants to create a new social circle?
I'm hoping by this that you mean one member of your household has a job in Athens, and another in DT ATL.. ..if you're working two jobs and intend on commuting to both It isn't going to work long term, if at all. That would be almost impossible.

Anyway.. on the assumption that these jobs are for two different people, Lawrenceville would be the best equilibrium between them both due to it being directly off of GA-316 while having the most amenities of any city on GA-316 besides Athens. Check into Riverside Pkwy area, or also Sugarloaf Pkwy south of GA-316 as Sugarloaf Pkwy becomes a freeway east of GA-20 and gives easy access to eastern GA-316 for access to Athens while bypassing alot of local traffic.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:14 PM

12 posts, read 9,846 times
Why do you want to live equidistant to Athens and Atlanta? What are your jobs? What sort of things do you like to do for fun? You need to answer those questions first.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:20 PM

3 posts, read 2,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
I'm hoping by this that you mean one member of your household has a job in Athens, and another in DT ATL.. ..if you're working two jobs and intend on commuting to both It isn't going to work long term, if at all. That would be almost impossible.

Anyway.. on the assumption that these jobs are for two different people, Lawrenceville would be the best equilibrium between them both due to it being directly off of GA-316 while having the most amenities of any city on GA-316 besides Athens. Check into Riverside Pkwy area, or also Sugarloaf Pkwy south of GA-316 as Sugarloaf Pkwy becomes a freeway east of GA-20 and gives easy access to eastern GA-316 for access to Athens while bypassing alot of local traffic.
Thanks! I revised my subject to reflect that my new job is in Athens and my partner's job is in DT ATL. We are looking for a place near parks, gyms, and diverse eateries.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new_georgia_girl View Post
Thanks! I revised my subject to reflect that my new job is in Athens and my partner's job is in DT ATL. We are looking for a place near parks, gyms, and diverse eateries.
Definitely Lawrenceville then...

If it were me, given you want to be near parks, try to position yourself upon Collins Hill Rd.

It runs North and South between GA-316 and Old Peachtree Rd pretty close to Mall of GA. There are two very nice parks along it... ...Rock Springs Park and also Collins Hill Park ...and you will be within means of GA-316 for your commute to Athens and your partner will be within means of I-85 for their commute to ATL .. .. your eateries will be served at Mall of GA area and also GA-316 @ GA-120 area.. ..or Downtown Lawrenceville. There is also an isolated spot near the airport along GA-316 called The 5 Spot Cafe which is pretty good too.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:38 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,985,456 times
Geez, I can't even imagine that commute meeting in the middle.
Good luck to you.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Geez, I can't even imagine that commute meeting in the middle.
Good luck to you.
Wouldn't be easy, L'ville to Athens actually isn't as unheard of as one might think though. It was one of the larger reason there was pushback in turning GA-316 into a toll road because regular commuters were looking at $10 round trip. L'ville to ATL is pretty common.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:01 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,508,244 times
Lawrenceville is a really good choice and is probably the best choice out of all of the communities that the OP named.

Lawrenceville is the most equidistant point between Athens and Downtown Atlanta.

Lawrenceville also has in recent years been the site of a rising and growing historic downtown village area of shops, restaurants, bars and community parks originally built around a historic courthouse (the Gwinnett Historic Courthouse) that is now a historic museum and venue for meetings and special events.

Lawrenceville, Georgia - Historic Downtown

https://www.lawrencevillega.org/Docu...lle-Map?bidId= (printable map of Lawrenceville and list of Lawrenceville area attractions)

Lawrenceville’s downtown village area is now growing to the south with new mixed-use high-density housing popping up around two new parks (Gwinnett County Bicentennial Plaza, and Lawrenceville Lawn) that have become popular spots for community gatherings and public events.

Lawrenceville also provides good access to other nearby popular downtown village areas with lots of community gatherings and public events during normal times, including Duluth, Norcross, Suwanee, Buford, etc.

And as the second-largest municipal jurisdiction in and site of the seat of government for Georgia’s second-most populous county (Northeast metro Atlanta’s ultra-diverse Gwinnett County), Lawrenceville provides good access to other amenities, including parks and outdoor recreational areas like:

> Rhodes Jordan Park at Lawrenceville City Lake just northeast of downtown Lawrenceville

> The expansive Tribble Mill Park, a large local park of regional scale with trails and lakes southeast of Lawrenceville proper

> Harbins Park in east-southeast unincorporated Gwinnett County

> Freeman’s Mill Park, a 12-acre county park featuring a restored historic grist mill, a playground and multipurpose trail on the Alcovy River, on the east side of Lawrenceville

> Little Mulberry Park, a large county park of regional scale with 4 major entrances.

Lawrenceville and Gwinnett County also provides great access to the Lake Lanier area, a large water supply and outdoor recreational lake that is very popular metro Atlantans and North Georgians.

Discover Lake Lanier

Welcome to Lake Lanier, Georgia!

The Lake Lanier Visitors Guide

Lanier Islands

Margaritaville at Lanier Islands

And Lawrenceville, Gwinnett County and Northeast metro Atlanta provides really good access to the very popular and much beloved Blue Ridge and Southern Appalachian mountains of North Georgia, Western North Carolina and Eastern Tennessee, a federally protected mountain wilderness region that is an extremely popular getaway area for metro Atlantans.

Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests - Home

Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests - Recreation

National Forests in North Carolina - Nanathala National Forest

National Park Service - Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Explore Georgia - BRASSTOWN BALD VISITORS CENTER & RECREATION AREA

ESCAPE TO BRASSTOWN BALD - Plan a trip to Georgia's tallest mountain for amazing views and quality time with Mother Nature.

In other parts of metro Atlanta, locations like Stone Mountain, Arabia Mountain, Panola Mountain, the Chattahoochee River Valley, Kennesaw Mountain, Sweetwater Creek State Park, Lake Allatoona, Red Top Mountain State Park, the Paulding County wilderness areas (Sheffield and Paulding Forest Wildlife Management Areas) and the Dawson Forest nature preserve are popular and beloved outdoor recreational areas to explore and enjoy.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:31 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Quote:
Wouldn't be easy, L'ville to Athens actually isn't as unheard of as one might think though.
I wouldn't be surprised at all if the commute to Athens from Lawrenceville consistently took less time than the commute to Atlanta.

It's almost definitely a much less annoying commute.

Old 03-17-2021, 05:56 AM

12 posts, read 9,846 times
If you live in L'ville, Snellville is not that far away. The Yellow River Park is there and it is really nice, and Stone Mountain is great for hiking and biking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta