Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2021, 09:50 AM

2,412 posts, read 2,786,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta-Native View Post
Other than beer, food and handmade soaps, what would have someone shopping at Krog St Mkt?
It’s not just Krog St., it’s everything in the area, new and old mixed use— even PCM. There are just smaller scale options everywhere that feel like they are a treat the way the large malls used to, with less hassle. They don’t have to completely replace the mall, there is still the internet—but they still scratch that itch. And, Krog St. is part of that—and part of why it is comfortable is that it doesn’t contain shops that are attractive to criminals (do they still sell gourmet dog treats?), but it still feels like a treat.
(That said, I am not a big shopper, so, yeah, I could be off by a bit)

Last edited by jeoff; 09-10-2021 at 10:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2021, 11:55 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AkaniLTD View Post
The last time I checked, a Mall is for shopping, it's not an amusement park or for entertainment. Why do unaccompanied minors need to be cruising around a Mall in the first place. If they are shopping with their parents or other adult family members that makes sense. It's not a baby sitter for you to drop off your heathens and pick them up later...WHY?
The issues with unaccompanied minors seem to go significantly beyond just parents dropping their unsupervised teenage children at the mall.

As has been mentioned, the two 15-year-olds who shot the security guard at the mall back in June were from Chicago.

Why were two 15-year-old kids more than 700 miles away from home with no apparent parental or adult supervision?

And what are two underaged/15-year-old kids doing with guns shooting and seriously wounding a security guard while trying to commit an armed robbery at a shopping mall while on an unsupervised trip more than 700 miles away from home?

How in the world does that happen where two underage kids are able to travel more than 700 miles away from home without parental supervision to commit violent crimes in a city in another part of the country?

And why apparently are there so many unaccompanied minors (who often may be armed) roaming around our city/metro who hail not just from Atlanta, but from urban areas as far away as South Florida, New York, Detroit, Texas, Chicago, etc.?

Old 09-10-2021, 12:02 PM

1,376 posts, read 928,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Well, retail has changed and the world has changed. Brick and mortar retail has shrunk and Phipps and Lenox are too big to be upscale only—most of this stuff they do to make the place less appealing to criminals, also makes it less appealing to the wealthy. It is more comfortable to shop, see and be seen at places like the Inman Quarter or Krog Street—and those places are small enough that they can be frou-frou and stay relatively safe.
More people with money are shopping at Buckhead Village stores but there's not too many shops there.

Old 09-10-2021, 12:17 PM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
More people with money are shopping at Buckhead Village stores but there's not too many shops there.
I hope that high end Davidoff Cigar shop is still there. I'd hang there whilst my wife spent our money.

Old 09-10-2021, 01:15 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeoff View Post
Well, retail has changed and the world has changed. Brick and mortar retail has shrunk and Phipps and Lenox are too big to be upscale only—most of this stuff they do to make the place less appealing to criminals, also makes it less appealing to the wealthy. It is more comfortable to shop, see and be seen at places like the Inman Quarter or Krog Street—and those places are small enough that they can be frou-frou and stay relatively safe.
It's my impression that many locals quit going to Lenox and (to a considerable extent) Phipps years ago. However that's just anecdotal, I haven't seen any statistics.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:44 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
The problem with many stores at Lenox is that the selection is not balanced for the full demographic.

Also the stores all seem to do a single color theme that is in no way representative of the wide range of merchandise on the website of that brand.

Adidas and Nike are two great examples of this. It's almost ridiculous to see the limited stuff that you can get in the adidas store.

And Nike, my lifelong favorite brand for athletic shoes, seems to only care about basketball players.

I sit and wait for years for a shoe to be released that I like and that doesn't look like a kid's art project of colors thrown together.

The Black Americans are the main customers at Phipp's Gucci, Tom Ford, and other premium brands and they keep the luxury wing at Lenox in businesss.

Atlanta's streets are so chock full of luxury cars now. I've never seen so many Range Rovers, proabably 10 at my apt. complex alone. The insurance on these much be $3,0000-$4,000 a year.

Old 09-11-2021, 07:11 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T Block View Post
It's a well established fundamental that children require supervision.

But children, certainly by the age of 12, have historically gone to malls, stores, and movie theaters as unaccompanied by adults.

To take mall access away from children could result in civil court cases.

And for instance the state allows unaccompanied children to drive cars on public roads at 16 years-old.

The mall might be okay to restrict all minors but I just don't see their authority. Merchants are regulated by the democracy and can't just do anything they want.

Now I suggest a mall curfew of 5 PM for those younger than 16 years-old and not accompanied by an adult. The attempt at significant facilitation is not likely a discrimination but more of a supervision. Also, I suppose that I have arrived at a minimum age of 12 years-old.

The 3 PM rule is deceptive. It could instead say that no unaccompanied minors are allowed in the mall Monday through Friday during the school year. But I don't how the deception would be explained in a court case.
Cities all over the country have limits on teens at malls.

Old 09-11-2021, 09:30 AM

118 posts, read 96,351 times
Glad I don't live in Smyrna and Marietta anymore...I even hate to drive through that place.

Old 09-12-2021, 05:49 PM

1,709 posts, read 3,425,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
Malls were made for teenagers. They need to hire security guards that know how to deal with kids, maybe find people who have worked in the school system before with emotional/behavioral disorder (EBD) classes. The whole appeal of the mall was to keep kids out of trouble. Banning them from the mall means they're more likely to get in trouble.

It kinda sounds like you're saying its the malls job to babysit teenagers.

They are not banned. There are restrictions on their attendance.

This is not the 70s/80s when malls were the spots to hit the theaters and arcade. There are not many stores for teens anymore.

Its 2021 and teens are bringing guns to the mall.

Old 09-12-2021, 06:31 PM

1,150 posts, read 615,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATL Golfer View Post
It kinda sounds like you're saying its the malls job to babysit teenagers.

They are not banned. There are restrictions on their attendance.

This is not the 70s/80s when malls were the spots to hit the theaters and arcade. There are not many stores for teens anymore.

Its 2021 and teens are bringing guns to the mall.
Bingo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta