Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2021, 10:27 PM

68 posts, read 74,619 times

Advertisements

The restaurant is currently in building stages. It will also be one of the first Chipotle's to test a prototype drive-thru service. In addition to this news, the Chick Fila across the street will closed down. A new one will be built next door to the new Chipotle.

This news was certainly a surprise for me. Like Starbucks, Chipotles are usually opened in nicer locations, or areas that will soon be gentrified. Wesley Chapel Rd. has been known for crime and panhandling for over 2 decades. Could it be the next up-and-coming area in Metro Atlanta?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2021, 01:03 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_knight08 View Post
The restaurant is currently in building stages. It will also be one of the first Chipotle's to test a prototype drive-thru service. In addition to this news, the Chick Fila across the street will closed down. A new one will be built next door to the new Chipotle.

This news was certainly a surprise for me. Like Starbucks, Chipotles are usually opened in nicer locations, or areas that will soon be gentrified. Wesley Chapel Rd. has been known for crime and panhandling for over 2 decades. Could it be the next up-and-coming area in Metro Atlanta?
Though I personally am not all that big on this restaurant chain because of some notable issues that they have experienced in the not-too-distant past, and while I personally might not go quite as far proclaiming Wesley Chapel Road to be the next up-and-coming area in metro Atlanta, a couple of major reasons why Chipotle may be motivated to open a new location on Wesley Chapel Road in unincorporated Decatur and South DeKalb may be:

1) To capture some roadside business from motorists and traffic traveling through the area on Interstate 20...

2) To cater to the contingent of middle-class and working-class African-Americans who dominate the area in question in unincorporated Decatur and South DeKalb County.

There are actually many middle-class and working-class African-Americans who like eating Chipotle, so opening a location on Wesley Chapel Road that generates business from motorists and traffic traveling along I-20 and caters to black customers in South DeKalb makes much sense from that standpoint.

To put this in perspective, there are 2 McDonalds, a Subway, a Waffle House, a Chick-Fil-A, a Krispy Kreme, a KFC, a Dunkin’ Donuts, a Popeyes and a QuikTrip gas station amongst other restaurants, services and businesses in this area around the I-20/Wesley Chapel Road interchange, so this is a fairly significant area of roadside services and businesses in an area with many proud middle-class and working-class black consumers.

Old 10-11-2021, 01:05 AM

10,396 posts, read 11,500,133 times
Here is a link to some information about the new restaurant location coming to the area on the Chipotle website:

NEW RESTAURANT OPENING IN WESLEY CHAPEL ROAD - NOW HIRING (3784)
DECATUR, GEORGIA 2474 Wesley Chapel Rd, 30035

Old 10-11-2021, 06:44 AM

2,437 posts, read 3,850,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_knight08 View Post

I remember when I was as optimistic as you are about South DeKalb. I think the Chipotle is just a sign of the natural and continued growth and development in the area. It is a good thing because it illustrates that the area not in continued decline.

But with that said, I don't think it is a sign of gentrification. You may remember the Starbucks that was on Panola Rd. across the street from the Publix just south of I-20. (Due to issues with the franchise, it was later closed and replaced with the Dunkin Donuts that is there now.) But I think the Starbucks mostly served the clientele that was already in the area -- not necessarily a newer, more affluent clientele that is descending upon the area on a fairly large scale, driving up property values, etc. -- as with gentrification.

Now if a Whole Foods, Trader Joes, or even a stand-alone Starbucks (that is not inside a Kroger or Target) were opening on Wesley Chapel, then that might be something.

So while I think the Wesley Chapel area is growing and progressing, I generally think a true sign of gentrification is when businesses, goods, and services start to appear with price-points noticeably higher than what the current residents are used to paying or can afford.

Old 10-11-2021, 08:14 AM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Good news. Belvedere, Gresham Park and Candler-McAfee are definitely gentrifying and Wesley Chapel may be next.

Old 10-11-2021, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Good news. Belvedere, Gresham Park and Candler-McAfee are definitely gentrifying and Wesley Chapel may be next.
I see what you’re saying. But Belvedere, Gresham Park, and Candler-McAfee are all older, more established ITP communities.

Nothing against Wesley Chapel and the communities farther east. But they aren’t quite the same. I can’t think of anytime in recent history where gentrification (at least as I am defining it) has spilled outside of I-285. Plus, I think an area has to already be in pretty rough shape to gentrify. And I don’t think Wesley Chapel and OTP South DeKalb has gotten quite that bad.

Now, don’t get me wrong, prices are increasing, and Chipotle is a positive sign, but until multiple homes are flying off the market at well over $350k, stores start opening that are noticeably catering to a more expensive clientele, you see white women jogging through the neighborhoods with strollers, and people are worried about being displaced, I wouldn’t quite call it “gentrification” just yet.

Improvement, yes. But not gentrification… at least not for now.

Old 10-11-2021, 12:10 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equinox63 View Post
Nothing against Wesley Chapel and the communities farther east. But they aren’t quite the same. I can’t think of anytime in recent history where gentrification (at least as I am defining it) has spilled outside of I-285.
Clarkston, maybe?

Stone Mountain Village, maybe?

South Cobb, maybe? (Smynings, Smyrna, Greater Vinings, West Vinings, South Vinings, Mableton)

Old 10-11-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Clarkston, maybe?

Stone Mountain Village, maybe?

South Cobb, maybe? (Smynings, Smyrna, Greater Vinings, West Vinings, South Vinings, Mableton)
I guess perhaps certain parts of Clarkston, like the old-town area near E. Ponce De Leon/Church St.
And the Historic Stone Mountain Village is similar. I guess they could be gentrifying -- but again, I think those are two completely different types of communities compared to Wesley Chapel (30034/30035)

And with regard to South Cobb, I never knew it fell off to a such a level that it had to be "gentrified". Maybe my definition of gentrification is too narrow. But when I think of gentrification, I think of areas that are blighted with abandoned homes and storefronts with higher than average crime, that are ultimately reinvested in by/for a noticeably more affluent clientele.

Not saying that it can't happen along Wesley Chapel. But I've noted similar signs of gentrification when I lived in that area nearly 10 years ago. And today, it's pretty much the same. Not bad, per se -- perhaps even better in some regards. But I wouldn't necessarily say it's "gentrifying". At least not at this time...

Old 10-11-2021, 01:56 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
I guess perhaps certain parts of Clarkston, like the old-town area near E. Ponce De Leon/Church St.
And the Historic Stone Mountain Village is similar. I guess they could be gentrifying -- but again, I think those are two completely different types of communities compared to Wesley Chapel (30034/30035)

And with regard to South Cobb, I never knew it fell off to a such a level that it had to be "gentrified". Maybe my definition of gentrification is too narrow. But when I think of gentrification, I think of areas that are blighted with abandoned homes and storefronts with higher than average crime, that are ultimately reinvested in by/for a noticeably more affluent clientele.

Not saying that it can't happen along Wesley Chapel. But I've noted similar signs of gentrification when I lived in that area nearly 10 years ago. And today, it's pretty much the same. Not bad, per se -- perhaps even better in some regards. But I wouldn't necessarily say it's "gentrifying". At least not at this time...
A lot South Cobb was very working class/blue collar.

Old 10-11-2021, 02:56 PM

32,026 posts, read 36,788,671 times
Quote:
I see what you’re saying. But Belvedere, Gresham Park, and Candler-McAfee are all older, more established ITP communities.

Nothing against Wesley Chapel and the communities farther east. But they aren’t quite the same. I can’t think of anytime in recent history where gentrification (at least as I am defining it) has spilled outside of I-285. Plus, I think an area has to already be in pretty rough shape to gentrify. And I don’t think Wesley Chapel and OTP South DeKalb has gotten quite that bad.

Now, don’t get me wrong, prices are increasing, and Chipotle is a positive sign, but until multiple homes are flying off the market at well over $350k, stores start opening that are noticeably catering to a more expensive clientele, you see white women jogging through the neighborhoods with strollers, and people are worried about being displaced, I wouldn’t quite call it “gentrification” just yet.

Improvement, yes. But not gentrification… at least not for now.
Good points, equinox. There's a lot of OTP gentrification in the form of smaller historic downtowns becoming revitalized, but not with the waves of displacement you see in the city of Atlanta. And Wesley Chapel doesn't have that historic focal point like Norcross, Woodstock, Tucker, Smyna, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta